Balloon Help
 Mad networking voodoo
Author Topic  
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  19:19:26
Well, so I get my 605 (I do believe this computer was the subject of the first thread in "68k Conquests...somebody correct me if I'm wrong) out of storage, add RAM, VRAM, larger HD, ethernet card, then dust it out (and press that little red reset button for good measure). I had come across a system 7.5.0 CD, so I installed that (breakout game!). I had also made images of the Color It! v3.0.3 floppies that I had found as well, so I wanted to transfer the images to my iMac (which was running X, so I couldn't use my USB floppy)...well the iMac was already set up for AppleTalk because I connect my 650 to it all the time, and vice versa.

I set up the 605 for AppleTalk (making sure AppleTalk is on, file sharing and program sharing is loaded, and that AppleTalk is set to ethernet - all the things which I do on my 650), and connect a crossover cable from it to the iMac. First I try to connect to it from the iMac (since my 650 doesn't like to see the iMac in X - I know, I know -theres a way to fix that, but I haven't had time to), but nothing happens...it doesn't even list AppleTalk under "Local Network" - which it usually does.

Frustrated, I plug in my 1.1gb external hd and boot to to it (system 7.5.5). All the AppleTalk prefs are already set because I use that HD with the 650...I try connecting again - nothing.

Now (as you can imagine), I have major rage. So I wipe the internal clean and install 8.1. Again, I set all the appropriate control panels and attempt to connect to this iMac (this time, with it booted into 9.2.1) - still, no go. Just to make sure the computers/cables aren't funked up, I do some testing: the 650 can sucessfully connect and mount the 605's hd and vice versa. The iMac can sucessfully connect to and mount the 650's hd, and vice versa. But yet, Mr. 605 and Mr. iMac still don't want to play together...

I played with the jumper on the ethernet card and a jumper I found on the 605's mobo (which, when removed makes Apple System profiler think that it's a 47x series...), and even pressed the reset button.

If anybody helps me, I would be very very very appreciative

*takes big breath and reviews post* - damn that's long!

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  19:43:38
off subject but why can't you use that USB floppy drive? I remeber in class with my iBook I used a girls Stinkpad USB floppy in X and it worked well.

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:06:51
quote:

off subject but why can't you use that USB floppy drive? I remeber in class with my iBook I used a girls Stinkpad USB floppy in X and it worked well.

Well, it simply doesn't work (NewerTech uDrive...NewerTech went out of business before X came out [at least the final version], so that could be why)

--------------------

--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 23 Feb 2002 20:07:37Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:10:46
quote:

Now (as you can imagine), I have major rage. So I wipe the internal clean and install 8.1. Again, I set all the appropriate control panels and attempt to connect to this iMac (this time, with it booted into 9.2.1) - still, no go. Just to make sure the computers/cables aren't funked up, I do some testing: the 650 can sucessfully connect and mount the 605's hd and vice versa. The iMac can sucessfully connect to and mount the 650's hd, and vice versa. But yet, Mr. 605 and Mr. iMac still don't want to play together...

is the i-mac stratight 10bt or 10/100bt, are you using a transceiver on the 650 and that somehowmakes for easier negotiation with the i-mac?

i'm clutching at straws here, i never played with ethernet on an i-mac, can you borrow a hub and a pair of straight cables to test if all three will play together nicely under supervision?

clueless ont the hudson,
jt2

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:19:19
Well, the iMac has 10/100 ethernet, but of course it'll only run at 10, because that's what the 650 (which uses a transeiver) runs at...

Hmm, well at present I don't think I know anybody that would have any spare hubs/cables....

ugh...this is so frustrating...I want to love the 605, but I can't!

--------------------

--------------------Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:31:14
quote:

Well, the iMac has 10/100 ethernet, but of course it'll only run at 10, because that's what the 650 (which uses a transeiver) runs at...

i think that's what your problem is, fw. is there a way to force the i-mac to kick down to 10bt, i don't think it's getting far enough into negatiotions to realize that there is another nic on the line running at either speed. whack it with the quadra stick, i don't think this is the 605's fault. but before you do that, there must (remembers it's an apple box, slaps forehead) . . . might be a way to manually set the speed. rtfm time! has anybody got an etherwave transceiver and two cables you can borrow to try on the 650, i think they're supposed to daisy chain sans hub?

jt2

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  22:04:35
Well since the 650 runs at 10bt and the iMac sees it, shouldn't it also see the 10bt card on the 605?

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  22:18:00
quote:

Well since the 650 runs at 10bt and the iMac sees it, shouldn't it also see the 10bt card on the 605?

if you were troubleshooting scsi voodoo, would you make that kind of assumption, fw? autosensing, autoconfiguring, plug and play, none of them have all that great a track record, it's a gut feeling on my part, but give it a shot, might work and it "should" be one variable that's easy to eliminate.

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  22:21:18
this is getting a bit silly..post, reply, post, reply, don't you have AIM?

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  22:28:15
quote:

this is getting a bit silly..post, reply, post, reply, don't you have AIM?

don't chat, don't do aim, am dinosaur, remember? if we were chatting or aiming you'd think i was retarded in addition to the coherence issues, this is just about as close as i can get to real time comms in .txt. you'd really be jumping out of your skin waiting for responses in real time.

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 23 Feb 2002 22:29:02Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  14:29:56
quote:

I played with the jumper on the ethernet card and a jumper I found on the 605's mobo (which, when removed makes Apple System profiler think that it's a 47x series...), and even pressed the reset button.

had one more possibility come to mind, who was the mfr of the card in the 605, when was it made and have you checked for drivers or patches or appletalk patches or sys requirements. i think 7.5.5 fixed some funky 10bt bugs if memory serves (for a change), let me know if anything works so i can flush the background processing que for some equally ridiculous problem on the stack.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  16:50:48
Its an Asante MCiLC ethernet card...It says Rev A if that really matters...can't find a date on there...

I downloaded the drivers from Asante's website (this was when system 7.5.0 was installed on it [i'm a sucker for easter eggs )

Now its running 8.1 (using Apple's ethernet drivers)...I'll try installing the Asante drivers later tonight..

--------------------

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  18:33:44
Hey, Firewire, maybe we have the same problem (see my "Arrg...Networking" thread). Did you see any networking extensions load during startup? I used to see them before I got my problem, but now I don't.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  21:10:07
Well, I don't see the ethernet extension load at startup (I think this is only with Macs with mobo ethernet), but as I peer into my extensions folder the File Sharing extension is open (loaded)...

Now for the Asante drivers...

--------------------

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  21:28:43
Well, I installed the Asante drivers and still no-go. I also ran their troubleshooting app. The card itself passed all the tests ("Memory" "NIC" "Loopback"), but when trying to run the "Ping-Pong" test, it gets "No response from other Macintosh".

I assume that this "Ping-Pong" test sends a ping to the connected Mac and back...

Therefore, I think I could be correct in assuming the problem lies somewhere in my iMac's ethernet

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  22:06:00
quote:

Well, I installed the Asante drivers and still no-go. I also ran their troubleshooting app. The card itself passed all the tests ("Memory" "NIC" "Loopback"), but when trying to run the "Ping-Pong" test, it gets "No response from other Macintosh".

I assume that this "Ping-Pong" test sends a ping to the connected Mac and back...

Therefore, I think I could be correct in assuming the problem lies somewhere in my iMac's ethernet

like i said before, i don't think it's kicking down to 10bt automatically, i don't think that there is necessarily anything wrong with it. if you had a hub, i'll bet that all three would be happy to talk to each other. a crossover cable ought to work, but it's not the same thing as a hub, did you find any way to set the i-mac up manually?

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 24 Feb 2002 22:08:47Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  23:00:07
whups, sorry jt - meant to edit that one to give you credit, but alas, I forgot.

I'll look around the 'net tommorrow during school for kicking the iMac down to 10bt manually....

--------------------

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  23:25:52
quote:

I'll look around the 'net tommorrow during school for kicking the iMac down to 10bt manually....

If you peep into the apple system profiler on the iMac, it'll tell you what the ethernet card is doing, whether ethernet is active, and the speed it's running at (10 or 100) and the duplex.

all the fun stuff :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.