All Forums
 Apple ][
 What's this?
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  06:11:28
just been poking around the innards of my //e and trying to identify what's plugged into it.

We got a disk ][ controller, parallel printer card, 80 col/64k expansion card, and something labeled as a "CommsCard //" by Apple. It's got a short length of ribbon cable ending in a 25 pin male connector (looks vaguely like a SCSI connector to my untrained eye). I guess from the name that its some type of communication card... but what kind? andy ideas?

Also, anybody know where I can get a monitor cable for one of these old beauties?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e

1 PB 520c

1 Quadra 800

1 Powermac 6100

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  21:16:16
quote:

something labeled as a "CommsCard //" by Apple. It's got a short length of ribbon cable ending in a 25 pin male connector (looks vaguely like a SCSI connector to my untrained eye). I guess from the name that its some type of communication card... but what kind? andy ideas?

sounds like a db-25 male connector that was standard for rs-232 serial ports on pc's, db-9 male connectors were probably more commonly used. parallel ports were usually female db-25's and would customarily be combined with a db-9 male serial connector on the backplane plate of a multi i/o card for pc's along with headers for breakout cables for additional ports, customarily an additional serial port connector and a db-15 joystick/game port.
http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm

that would be my guess and the reasons for it.
jt2

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  03:51:51
Hmmm. OK, so its probably a PC compatible serial port. Not going to be any help in networking her up to a mac I guess...

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e

1 PB 520c

1 Quadra 800

1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  04:23:13
quote:

Hmmm. OK, so its probably a PC compatible serial port. Not going to be any help in networking her up to a mac I guess...

never know, might be rs-422 and appletalk compatible, even if it isn't you could use a null modem cable and terminal software to link to a mac. i think my old imagewriter wc had a db-25 connector on its serial port (was long ago) and my 512k had a db-9 connector rs-422 port that drove (i think).

i don't know much about //'s though, it just sounds consistent with a serial port connector so i related the observation, don't make any assumptions, find out for sure.

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  23:06:17
What sort of monitor you have? If its any sort of composite display, you don't need a special sort of monitor cable. Just pick up a $5 Composite video (RCA) cable.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  03:00:23
quote:
What sort of monitor you have? If its any sort of composite display, you don't need a special sort of monitor cable. Just pick up a $5 Composite video (RCA) cable.

The monitor (scavenged off the roadside along with the computer ) is a Commodore1084S-P1. Its got a 9-pin RGB input and some strangely labeled RCA-style plugs which might be CVBS or LCA... whatever those are!

I do have an RCA cable (relic from my video dubbing days), so I'll test the connectors soon as I get a chance.

Any other ideas?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently deceased)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  03:06:08
quote:

The monitor (scavenged off the roadside along with the computer ) is a Commodore1084S-P1. Its got a 9-pin RGB input and some strangely labeled RCA-style plugs which might be CVBS or LCA... whatever those are!

Yes! that should work with a normal RCA :). From memory (looking at the rear) it's the bottom-left-most of the rca plugs at the back which takes composite video. If you don't get a piccy straight away, the little switch at the front of the monitor (inside the controls panel) switches between two modes - can't remember if it should be in or out, but try both with either RCA connection you use :).

Depending which 1084 you have, those rca's take composite, luma, chroma and stereo audio in. Some only do mono-in (yours would have the 4, I think... being an S)

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  05:27:45
quote:
Yes! that should work with a normal RCA :). From memory (looking at the rear) it's the bottom-left-most of the rca plugs at the back which takes composite video. If you don't get a piccy straight away, the little switch at the front of the monitor (inside the controls panel) switches between two modes - can't remember if it should be in or out, but try both with either RCA connection you use :).

Depending which 1084 you have, those rca's take composite, luma, chroma and stereo audio in. Some only do mono-in (yours would have the 4, I think... being an S)

dana

Wow. Thats quite a memory you have Dana! This monitor must be close on 20 years old.

Ta for the info. Can't wait to try it out. Pity I don't have a DOS 3.3 floppy. All those disk images, and no way to use them on the genuine hardware. Boo hoo.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently deceased)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  06:39:34
quote:

Wow. Thats quite a memory you have Dana! This monitor must be close on 20 years old.

Ta for the info. Can't wait to try it out. Pity I don't have a DOS 3.3 floppy. All those disk images, and no way to use them on the genuine hardware. Boo hoo.

ya! quite a memory, mine just got a huge jog this morning. i found a Commodore 64 waiting for the recycling truck! my first computer was a C-64, still have a couple of joysticks for it (in a box somewhere around here), i gave everything else including a floppy drive to my cousin (shoulda specified that it was on loan! live-n-learn *sigh*) and didn't get it back. this one is just the main unit so it's pretty much just a paperweight, but it's in beautiful condition!

it's annoying to have one you can't even test! must even be worse to have one that fires up and no way to do anything with it though! maybe a school in your area still uses them and somebody will help you to get yours up.

jt

anybody got a dead C-64/cables/attachments they want to get rid of?

Edited by - alcoa on 28 Feb 2002 06:41:38Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  14:35:34
quote:
this one is just the main unit so it's pretty much just a paperweight, but it's in beautiful condition!

it's annoying to have one you can't even test!

Actually, according to my knowledge, you can connect the Composite video connector on the C64 to the Compsosite video-in on a TV, and when you tune the TV to the A/V inputs, it will work as a monitor for the C64.

Just a thought...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  16:17:16
quote:

Actually, according to my knowledge, you can connect the Composite video connector on the C64 to the Compsosite video-in on a TV, and when you tune the TV to the A/V inputs, it will work as a monitor for the C64.

Just a thought...

yeah, but without a power supply . . . . . *i'll probably end up googling for the specs . . . then worring about the i/o situation . . sigh . . . . think maybe i'll play with the Z-88 first . . . decisions!*

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  14:21:24
quote:

yeah, but without a power supply . . . . . *i'll probably end up googling for the specs . . . then worring about the i/o situation . . sigh . . . . think maybe i'll play with the Z-88 first . . . decisions!*

jt

Aah yes, i forgot...the C64 has no power supply!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  05:38:34
quote:

Finally got 'round to giving this a go... but it seems like the //e is a gonner. All I get is a screen full of flashing @ symbols. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to drop that cube mobo into it aftter all .

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.