Balloon Help
 Using Powerbook HD...
Author Topic  
macaphile
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  10:51:17
Can I (or how can I) use a 120 meg HD from a Powerbook 180 in a desktop? Why you ask? Why not;)

"Holy crap! A Mac can do that!"-Every PC user I talk to

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  10:54:58
Yes you can, however, you need a very rare adpater. 2.5" SCSI drives use a single, thin ribbon connector to get power and transfer SCSI data, which has to be convereted and spilt to accept standard power and a 50-pin SCSI cable.

This place used to sell them, but from what I can tell, they don't list them anymore. You could try sending them an email to see if they still carry them, though.

P.S. - I would only suggest ever going through the trouble of sourcing a 2.5" to 3.5" SCSI adpater if you had one of the rare 500MB or bigger 2.5" SCSI hard drives and were hacking it into something like a ColorClassic with an internal CD-ROM where space was critical.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Feb 2002 11:10:10Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  11:47:34
quote:

Yes you can, however, you need a very rare adpater. 2.5" SCSI drives use a single, thin ribbon connector to get power and transfer SCSI data, which has to be convereted and spilt to accept standard power and a 50-pin SCSI cable.

these two adapters would be more flexible in the long run
look cine" they're only 66.99 ea.!

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=23&pcount=&Product_Id=115716&Section.Section_Path=%2FCables%2FSCSIAdap%2E%2E%2Eminators%2Fct_Id>

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=23&pcount=&Product_Id=14910&Section.Section_Path=%2FCables%2FSCSIAdap%2E%2E%2Eminators%2Fct_Id>

i wonder if there might be support for IDE calls in the transitional 2MB ROMS in your 840AV cine?

marchie's looking into the first reasonable suggestion for a USB/68k hack that i've ever seen, if that's a no-go, maybe the ide bridge from the 630 could be jumpered or proc-socket-adapter carded onto your box? see if anybody knows which the required asic(s), there's a very slight possibility there might already be undocumented support on the mobo if the development cycles meshed just right. all the signals required might actuall be present on the ROM slot connector. ROM slot hacks have been a personal favorite what-if distraction for me lately. the refined elegance/ax-murder brutality contrasts of the hack possibles lend a certain charm to the approach.

it's play time!
jt2

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  12:04:22
Mobo hacking is always fun, but I don't know that an 8-bit, single-device IDE host would be much of a feature but more of a novelty to me! I guess I'll always be a SCSI fanatic.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  12:12:12
quote:

I guess I'll always be a SCSI fanatic.

to each his own! but that 840av cries out for a handful humongous capacity IDE's in swappable trays! gotta keep that scsi array space free and defragged for playtime!

IMMO, of course
jt2

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.