Google Appliance + MIS = WARNING!
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  09:39:01
<alarmist mode>

If you are accustomed to logging on surfing or doing anything on a machine where you work, there is a new shark in the waters.

http://www.google.com/appliance/

be very afraid.

</alarmist mode>

jt

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  20:11:43
Why should I be afraid? Google is a good company (they are even ardent Linux supporters!).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  20:18:20
quote:

Why should I be afraid? Google is a good company (they are even ardent Linux supporters!).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

hehe, when I first saw that rack-mountable yellow box, I immediately thought of Linux...kinda odd..

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  20:27:43
quote:

google is a great company with a very useful search technology that i would prefer stay out of the hands of management or their MIS lackeys anywhere i might be forced to work. i don't like the idea of somebody being able to googlemine corporate nets and archives for anything they might think of, had i ever used company equipment for anything the least bit outside of company guidelines.

but i can be a bit of an alarmist (as noted),
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  23:34:16
quote:

...had i ever used company equipment for anything the least bit outside of company guidelines.

ahoi, I can see the bad there. A workplace is, granted, a place you're supposed to be working only, but to feel constantly surveilled (!) is dud. It'd be like having video cameras recording you all day, but without the context of something time based like that.

On the other hand a personal version to replace the godawful sherlock on OSX would be a blessing - and to find 'stuff' on the other machines on my network... woohoo!

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.