All Forums
 Trading Post! (Buy, sell & trade)
 theoretically....
Author Topic  
noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  00:08:34
Since this is for 68K machines and all I know no one in here would have any of these things lying around but, in theory, if you did, what would a set of hard drive sleds or brackets for a tower machine go for? I have a Power Center Pro, even have the two drives for it but don't have brackets to hold 'em in place. I might be wrong here, but am thinking any bracket that would fit in, say, an 8500, 9600, etc., would do the job.

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  00:19:22
Well see these sleds are used in 68ks btw. Ahh lets see, 605s,610s,810s(oops dang danamania!),950s,800s. Lots of them use both cd sleds and hard drive ones, too bad I traded my last.

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  04:42:17
I knew I was going to get in trouble using the word, 'sled' when what is needed is a bracket. I just wasn't sure what it was called but this thing is metal and attaches to the sides of the tower mount with screws very un-sled like.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:58:50
BTW, you can discuss PPC items in this forum (and also the Lounge.)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  10:05:16
I have two 5.25" drive sleds and at least three 3.5" drive sleds. How does $2 each sound? I can ship one or all of them for $3.50 within the US.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  10:56:55
quote:

I have a Power Center Pro, even have the two drives for it but don't have brackets to hold 'em in place.

Isn't that a standard Baby-AT form factor case?

If so, and you have 3.5" hard disks that are rattling around in 5.25" drive bays, you need standard pc hardware and a situation not familiar to most of the troops. industry standard 3.5"-5.25" drive adapters can be as simple as narrow u-channels that are installed on the sides of the drive.

if you have 5.25" drives that look like they need little skis for the sides to mate with slots/tracks on the sides of bays that are wider than 5.25", you might need AT "drive rails."*see microrant

<microrant>
*they have little lever tabs and wedges that click into place, curiously similar to the humongous sleds that some genius at apple felt the need to recreate for yet another gratuitous incompatibility/industry substandard for the mac, and which must be installed on the bottom of industry standardized drives for similar installation in the peculiar nonstandard form-factor bays doled out at near-subsitstance levels when made available at all on apple's boxes!

*dare he mention the infamously unreliable $1.380 nonstandard power supplies of substandard output?*

*arrrrgggggghhhh!!!!!!!! . . ~~>8-|

. . . uncharacteristically, ends microrant! =8-O *

</microrant>

jt2

slots-n-bays-n-pixels RULE! see market share stats for details.
(if winTel-Mac stats don't convince you, look at clone-mac stats)

IMNAQHEO . . . expressed emphatically!

Go to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  15:57:09
Yeah, as much as it pains me to admit it, a PC using pal came through with a set of rails. He did have the decency to point out that they are a 'generic' brand.

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  17:04:07
quote:

Yeah, as much as it pains me to admit it, a PC using pal came through with a set of rails. He did have the decency to point out that they are a 'generic' brand.

shouldn't pain you on that box, should pain you when you have to deal with the brand name bs the dipsticks at apple have shackled us with.

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.