Quadra / Centris
 A Quadra 950 with USB!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  12:59:24
Hey, JT! You're plight is over! There's a Quadra 950 going on eBay with onboard USB!!

BTW - I don't think the blonde in the background comes with it, but you never know!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 19 Feb 2002 13:00:47

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  13:24:25
quote:

Hey, JT! You're plight is over! There's a Quadra 950 going on eBay with onboard USB!!

is there still about 30 minutes left to bid? i've never done the ebay thing, are you bidding on it, cine?

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  13:32:53
Well, there's an hour and a half left as of now, but I aint paying $70 for a Q950! Maybe if it had onboard firewire and ATA-133...

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  13:41:10
quote:

BTW - I don't think the blonde in the background comes with it, but you never know!

yeah, really sounds good, but better chance of getting the blond thrown into the deal than getting the rare NuBus USB card, it looks like they already took it out of the case, I wonder what card is behind the plastic panel, you can see the vertical pcb thru the empty backplane slot. the case looks beat so i think i'll wait for the next one to pop up on e-bay.

MAF is back in the new millenium again, btw. looks like the forums have been active on the arpanet back at the end of the 8-track era while their server was having its little nervous breakdown.

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  13:49:13
You do know that this was all in sarcasm, right? Or are you following along and I just don't realize it?

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  14:00:40
quote:

You do know that this was all in sarcasm, right? Or are you following along and I just don't realize it?

was doin' thestraight man delivery deadpan, einstein! you blew it, nobody fell for it though! think they got our #?

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  14:13:44
Sorry I just wasn't sure. Shouldn't have second-guessed you, JT! Sometimes it's hard to tell with the lack of tone!!!

I wish we had an agreed-upon sarcasm emoticon...the winky doesn't always apply...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  14:27:32
quote:

Sorry I just wasn't sure. Shouldn't have second-guessed you, JT! Sometimes it's hard to tell with the lack of tone!!!

I wish we had an agreed-upon sarcasm emoticon...the winky doesn't always apply...

's ok, cinemo, i have been known to be a "little" disjointed in my thought processes of late, but before i clicked it, the thread title said: "it's playtime!" in letters about the size of the ones on that hillside you drive past all'a'tha'time! maybe we need to use morse code or binary - secret decoder stuff *like i don't have enough trouble with straight .txt* in our posts.

jt
=8-}

p.s. fritter's back 2!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Feb 2002 14:28:12Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  15:20:09
On the subject of USB on a 68K Mac.. Someone surely already suggested this, but couldn't you get an external PC card reader and a USB PC card? I am pretty sure it would not work with the card cage on the 500 series becuase they are not cardbus slots, but surely someone made a cardbus card reader that can be plugged into a 68K.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  15:41:11
quote:

On the subject of USB on a 68K Mac.. Someone surely already suggested this, but couldn't you get an external PC card reader and a USB PC card? I am pretty sure it would not work with the card cage on the 500 series becuase they are not cardbus slots, but surely someone made a cardbus card reader that can be plugged into a 68K.

you're right, there has been a recurring debate regarding such possibilites from the dawn of usb history. you can check here and at fritter for older links with the pros & cons. it's great that you're looking to expand the 68k envelope! imho, nobody should let fear of stepping where others have tread before keep them from re-opening discussion, that's the way newbies pick up info and no matter how much somebody knows, they're either a newbie exploring fresh horizons or . . . . . . . whatever . . . . pull one of the old threads to the surface and we can hash it out again!

check six, comrade,
jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  20:19:22
quote:

Jeez...I can't imagine why I didn't notice that before...I take a few minutes out of my day to look at Quadra 950/840av and PowerBook 540c auctions (I like to look at pretty pictures ) I've probably looked at that specific auction at least 3 times...I need to learn how to read

--------------------
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and the HTML Keyboard of...um...Greater Knowledge™?
--------------------Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:02:13
I was thinking about the 500 card cage + USB card... too bad that it doesn't work regular, but is it a hardware limitation or software?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:08:42
quote:

I was thinking about the 500 card cage + USB card... too bad that it doesn't work regular, but is it a hardware limitation or software?

<drivel> chicken/egg? </drivel>
jt2

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  21:35:32
quote:

68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.

<bandit mode>"doesn't work regularly"</bandit mode>

If i'm not mistaken, most if not all USB PCMCIA (did I get that right) cards use Card Bus, which I don't think the card cage module has. (there was a MAF thread about a fellow who tried to use a USB card on his 1400 - that is basis of my PowerBook knowledge )

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  07:28:28
I have a USB PC for my Powerbook, and it is cardbus. It also requires (I think) 8.6. So you would need to have a 68K Mac running 8.6 (which may not even be possible) and some sort of SCSI pc card reader that is cardbus (I think they made them). I think all of the actual card adapters are PCI.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  08:16:18
quote:

I have a USB PC for my Powerbook, and it is cardbus. It also requires (I think) 8.6. So you would need to have a 68K Mac running 8.6 (which may not even be possible) and some sort of SCSI pc card reader that is cardbus (I think they made them). I think all of the actual card adapters are PCI.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15

Well, the maximum system software you can run on a 68k is 8.1, but if you get one of those gestalt-ID changer shareware apps, then I guess you could run 8.6...but I bet it'd be god-awful slow (if it would run at all - That PPC-native finder might be tricky to get around?)

--------------------

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  12:30:43
you might have luck if you can take all the USB extensions from 8.6 and shove them into 8.1

The REAL trick is adding the system resources for USB into the 8.1 system file. That's a ResEdit hack and a half. I don't have the equipment to test this out, but I DO have ResEdit skills, so if anyone wants to LOAN me hardware I'll give it a shot.

I'll also load 8.1 on a computer tonight and try and insert the USB resources from 8.6. You don't need the hardware to make the system boot....

~Chaplain Marchie
68k MLA

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  18:31:48
quote:

you might have luck if you can take all the USB extensions from 8.6 and shove them into 8.1

The REAL trick is adding the system resources for USB into the 8.1 system file. That's a ResEdit hack and a half. I don't have the equipment to test this out, but I DO have ResEdit skills, so if anyone wants to LOAN me hardware I'll give it a shot.

I'll also load 8.1 on a computer tonight and try and insert the USB resources from 8.6. You don't need the hardware to make the system boot....

sounds like a plan, have you inquired about ROM calls being involved for the USB resources that you want to move? when apple shifted to the ppc they also shifted to 4MB ROMS, i got the link to post for you again and noticed that there were transitional 2MB ROMS and wonder if there might be supporting code in them that might be required for your hacking to succeed:
http://www.emulators.com/softmac.htm#MACROMINFO
I stayed pretty much in between 7.0.1 and 7.5.3 before jumping right to 9 so i'm pretty much clueless on feature/driver/support issues regarding 8, but figured you might want to look into possible firmware issues before proceeding.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  20:25:51

Wait a second... Quadras don't have USB! That was an incorrect auction! I didn't know people could get away with that!

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  20:52:48
quote:

Wait a second... Quadras don't have USB! That was an incorrect auction! I didn't know people could get away with that!

hahaha

--------------------

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  04:50:41
that aint no usb port, its an aaui-15 port. i think they mistakened the aaui for a usb.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  09:46:07
How can you do a thing like that?

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  15:12:16
quote:

How can you do a thing like that?

00014 Macs liberated.

Maybe they don't know Macs. For someone who isn't in the know about old Macs, it can be hard to figure out what that funny looking port is...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  15:59:47
quote:

Lord, TiMac, I hope you don't mean that! Better be careful or no one's going to take you seriously...oh...wait...

quote:

Maybe they don't know Macs. For someone who isn't in the know about old Macs, it can be hard to figure out what that funny looking port is...

It's labeled with the universal ethernet symbol, though. It doesn't even look the same, in any case. It's much closer to a firewire port in shape, but I hope no one makes THAT mistake! Hehe, firewire on a 68k? Good times, good times...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.