Lounge
 puter piccies...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  04:57:23
so I got bored this evening, and bryce hadn't been used for a while...

http://www.danamania.com/temp/68040.jpg

:D

dana

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  06:42:54
Here's some photos that i've taken. Also some funny screen shots: exciting error and outa here!

cheers
Flash!

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  06:56:28
quote:

Here's some photos that i've taken. Also some funny screen shots: exciting error and outa here!

A couple of the Ipex windows workstations where I worked once, would occasionally spit out:

Error 0

Unknown error caused in unknown module

I think that's a PC's way of saying "Whoa. what happened?"

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  06:58:44
quote:

thanks, flash, LOL i needed that this morning! i lost it when my automatic clicking of the button on the exciting error message got me thinking of pavlov's pups and then i started salivating and thinking of the oatmeal i wasn't going to have to wipe up today. i was still smiling when i realized i'd almost clicked on the next gag (but the cursor was in position), its an omen for a very good day!

ya got me! love it!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:03:56
quote:

so I got bored this evening, and bryce hadn't been used for a while...

you need to buy a plexi bender, bananahat, picture graphic in a vertical orientation with white graphics on smoke plexi cover on a black plexi boxframe.chassis and you guessedit, microquadra inside. slots top/bot and you've got convection cooling!

very cool,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:07:34
Mac errors are so much.....fun (sometimes) At least the programmers had a sense of humour :) Here's some windoze jokes (pics) which are good for a laff

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:09:39
jeeeezus jt, how'd ya get up to 577 posts so quick?! Must have worn out a few keyboards by now

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:19:47
quote:

jeeeezus jt, how'd ya get up to 577 posts so quick?! Must have worn out a few keyboards by now

badly in need of life transplant, interacting with comrades and getting excited about some of my toys again has been very good for me, thanks comrades!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:24:32
Well I'm just trying to stay awake long enough to hit 100, and get those two stars - at least - I think I get two stars. you do don't you? at 100, ya get two stars (and a letter from the queen)?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:33:02
quote:

Well I'm just trying to stay awake long enough to hit 100

cool, i'll stick around n'help, nice site btw, which link should lead to lcd adaptation info?

jt

p.s. forgot to mention keyboard is ok, but wrists have taken a beating, be careful if you wanna play catchup.

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:43:40
I think I/he was talking about adapting mice at the time? Anyhoo, those links prolly don't have any LCD info. However, some LCD's may accept a 'standard' VGA (TTL) signal at the input (IE. the ribbon cable that goes from mobo to the screen) so presumably you could hook up to that with a little fiddly soldering. I'm not to sure where to start with grayscale (or PB1xx series) LCD's though - a circuit diagram would be nice :)

If you're searching, you could look for the manufacturer of the LCD panel itself (that's if you've got a Mac far enough apart to read the LCD model # and all that )

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:46:36
Actually when you get two stars you become an Apple Fellow, and get a letter from Steve Jobs whose contents are classified, and if you reveal the contents of said letter to a non Apple Fellow, you will dissapear without a trace. Rumor has it that the contents of the letter have something to do with eliminating metadata, or the unreleased G5 Sphere prototype...

Now I am going to have to upload some pictures of my computer setup somewhere so I can post them.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:55:28
Well I don't think I'm going to crack 100 tonite anyway. It's 2am after all, and I do have to work tomorrow.....

This almost classifies as 'computer pics' the best place to find out graphics card pin configurations - and the best place to find out about all things video

98 and counting......

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  11:16:39
quote:

and the best place to find out about all things video

Another thought for the site - links to general hardware-technical-stuff like this. One of my faves is the Hardwarebook.

(storytime with dana!: When my first mac came to me, the 8100, it didn't have a monitor - and I had an NEC Multisync as the only option to use with it - the mac->VGA plug video adaptor I made was built from info on the Hardwarebook site, viewed on a PAL monitor through the AV card. I felt all smart.)

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:50:46
A picture of my computer setup...

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/vecon/greenish.html

AnubisTTP

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  18:47:14
quote:

However, some LCD's may accept a 'standard' VGA (TTL) signal at the input

Hmm, I saw an iBook hooked up to a VGA LCD the other day (using just that RGB VGA thingmabobber that ships with the iBook...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  10:11:29
quote:
A picture of my computer setup...

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/vecon/greenish.html

Boy, how I envy you! I just hope you never have to succumb to the dreaded SAF...that setup would be toast.

I just took a new pic of my 7500 with it's newly painted external 4-bay SCSI case, which you can see in the lower right hand corner. Here's a pic from a distance, only before the 7500's was mated with the extra 4-bay SCSI case and before the Quadra 840av took over the desk you see on the left!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:21:49
MAN that's a nice room...

I'll try to get a picture of mine, this is what it looked like a long time ago when I still had my IIsi and lacked my 7200, 540c and 950...
http://www.macaphernalia.8m.com/Desk.jpg

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:13:43
SAF = Spouse and Family ? If so not to worry, I have raised the "one hand behind-the-back compact Mac dash" to an art form. And once the stuff is actually inside, you can just lie and say "Oh, that Mac? No I have had it for years."

The paint job on that 7500 is very nice. I am going to have to try painting one of my Macs now. Maybe paint the Quadra 700 black. Then I can glue a fisheye lens with some red diodes in it to the front and stencil "Macintosh AI" under the Apple logo...

AnubisTTP

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:17:37
I once lugged a 15 KILO IIcx scanner through the window of my room...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  09:02:44
quote:

you can just lie and say "Oh, that Mac? No I have had it for years."

<truth.table.debug.bubba-soft.rev.00.0>

"Oh, that Mac? No it's been around for years."

</truth.table.debug.bubba-soft.rev.00.0>

quote:

Maybe paint the Quadra 700 black. Then I can glue a fisheye lens with some red diodes in it to the front and stencil "Macintosh AI" under the Apple logo...

<drivel>A.I.? . . !. led's/glass eyes from a taxidermist?</drivel>

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 20 Feb 2002 09:06:31Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  09:07:43
quote:
SAF = Spouse and Family ?

Close, SAF = Spouse Approval Factor

I learned that term from my speaker-building days. It's most often used in reference to uncovered drivers. Most DIY Speaker-Builders like to show off their drivers, whereas their significant others tend to dislike having them exposed. Of course, if you have kids, covered drivers are a must (preferably with kevlar)! Even high-wall-mounted speakers with exposed drivers can be targets for toy-like projectiles.

666th poster to the

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  14:24:35
quote:

hmm, first closely looked at that picture of your q605 mobo...you have the spot for the ROM SIMM, yet mine has the ROM SIMM connector already there-If inly Apple was consistent with motherboards within models...hmm, now to find a 512k ROM SIMM... (does anybody know if my 605 will randomly grow toes and run away if i try to put the 512k ROM SIMM from my IIfx, IIsi, or 8100?)

*slowly becoming incoherent*

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  14:27:32
quote:

quote:

Maybe paint the Quadra 700 black. Then I can glue a fisheye lens with some red diodes in it to the front and stencil "Macintosh AI" under the Apple logo...

<drivel>A.I.? . . !. led's/glass eyes from a taxidermist?</drivel>

What do you think you're doing, Dave...

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  17:14:35
quote:

huh? . . . . on that note . . . . .

Thanks to dana's generous upload of some piccies from my eyemodule/visor combo, i can share them with everybody. here is my browser playpen in its random incoherence configuration which doubles as a workstation on occasion. note the clear plexi top with the only 68k still actually earning its keep as occasional plotter server and full time height equalizer, keeping the 2300c's portrait monitor aligned with the Radius 20 which, along with the beige stuff is on a three way KVM switch on the low rent rackspace shelf under/behind the keyboard platform along with the DSL Modem, zip and OmniWriter CR-RW, etc. underneath that is the 6360/400MHzG3-L2Accelerator which does fulltime conversion of graphics files/plotter serving. Under that is the Duo2300c/DockII full time fax server and quicken book cooker. behind the desk is the G-4/466/384MB/3-4 30-40 GB disks hooked up at different times for different purposes. (btw, this shot was taken from a lower angle at approximately the same position as the others using a wide angle aux. vid-cam lens, cine') The 466 is waiting for me to fab a hinged swingaway wheeled platform support/stand/corral for the wire monster spilling overflowing its cavity in the back of the rack and to prevent me from pulling it over onto its side again. (second rev. makeover of entire thing is more likely) After hours and quite often during hours *pretty much all the time* this this how the setup is configured in random flashes of coherence mode. underneath the monitors/behind the keyboard you can see the led's from the hub/bridge/modems/whatnot. to the left next to the LW-IInt is the illuminated chintzy plastic habitat for my plastic pets/tormentors. (in the lighted shot you can see the gray umbilical which carries pretty much every wire in the shop from the lighting/utilities trackrun above this wheeled contraption, Rex) you can also see the hinged swing away (brown legal size filing cabinet) station behind (and set back from) the main rack unit (which is exactly the same form factor). the second rev of the desk will be larger and have a third station (athlon/g-force or all-in-wonder for ww2 flight sim collection) for games when the unit is wheeled away from the window and the dumpster-liberated credenza under it which is overhung by the cantilevered plexi top in normal mode. each of the ppc's was my main computer in succession after the retirement of the IIx/RadiusRocket whose heart still oscillates under its way cool heatsink on the mobo of the microquadra with the cute little feets.

thanks again, dana,
jt aka Trash80

Edited by - alcoa on 20 Feb 2002 17:24:46Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  17:22:24
I have had several nightmare computer-sneak-in operations over the years. One was on some old Reynolds and Reynolds microcomputer. The thing was made out of steel,has about fifty circut boards in it and has a hard drive that is bigger than several Mac Pluses put together. Ultimately I had to completely dismantle it and sneak it in bit by bit over a period of a week and then reassemble it on the inside. Another time me and a few friends came into owning an even larger computer, and I ended up with one of the hard disk packs. The pack had to weigh 100 pounds, there was no way I could "dash" while carrying it, and it could not be easily broken down into smaller pieces. I ended up having to disassemble it, and most likely destroyed it in the process.

AnubisTTP

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  17:32:51
quote:

(does anybody know if my 605 will randomly grow toes and run away if i try to put the 512k ROM SIMM from my IIfx, IIsi, or 8100?)

*slowly becoming incoherent*

*see we warned them that it was contagious!*

do you really have some? has anybody actually seen a ROM SIMM? does anybody own one? i had thought the slots were for upgrade installation of larger ROM revs that never materialized.

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  18:02:48
Yes. (notice I said my in that earlier thread) I am the owner of a IIfx and a IIsi 512k ROM SIMM

(I also have a couple 6100 and one 8100 ROM SIMM, but I don't think those are particularly rare)

well apparently some upgrades materialized .

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  18:10:49
quote:

Yes. (notice I said my in that earlier thread) I am the owner of a IIfx and a IIsi 512k ROM SIMM

well apparently some upgrades materialized .

thought so, but wondered if you might have been delusional too. what are the date codes on SIMMS and how do they compare with their respective mobo's counterparts?

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  18:17:41
quote:

quote:

thought so, but wondered if you might have been delusional too. what are the date codes on SIMMS and how do they compare with their respective mobo's counterparts?

My 8100 has a rom simm also. However the II and IIx I have are the most interesting - the II has 4 chips on the motherboard that are the roms - the IIx has a VERY similar motherboard, even with some of the same silkscreened writing on it - including the squares where the II's rom chips go - but instead of having the chip socket, there's a big fat simm socket with a simm in it. Looks like the IIx only has a simm for its roms.

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  18:30:04
quote:

quote:

quote:

My 8100 has a rom simm also. However the II and IIx I have are the most interesting - the II has 4 chips on the motherboard that are the roms - the IIx has a VERY similar motherboard, even with some of the same silkscreened writing on it - including the squares where the II's rom chips go - but instead of having the chip socket, there's a big fat simm socket with a simm in it. Looks like the IIx only has a simm for its roms.

probably has to do with when the larger capacity rom IC's were developed and then became readily available thereafter, bet they all add up to the same capacity at the same width. before 512 x 8's were introduced/became cost effective there were four 256 x 8's and later if the supply of 512 x 8's ran short, did they happen to put four 256 x 8's on simm cards for mobos equipped with only the pads for 2 512 x 8's? the simm cards were probably set up either double the capacity and or double the width of the mobo config if the need arose.

just guessing, but posting of ic number's and counts of any simms and mobos that are handy would be interesting *to this idiot anyway*

jt

dana, does your IIx w/bare pads have 2 512 x 8 roms on the simm card?
i wonder if export/domestic differentiation due to foreign language requirements might also play a part as may be in the case of your IIx?

looks like ALL the 61xx mobos on the micromac site have rom simms!

where is the rom simm slot on the 8100, couldn't spot iton the pic.
http://www.micromac.com/macpixpages/a_power_mac_8100_100.html

Edited by - alcoa on 20 Feb 2002 19:19:38Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  19:33:43
quote:

where is the rom simm slot on the 8100, couldn't spot iton the pic.
http://www.micromac.com/macpixpages/a_power_mac_8100_100.html

Just to the left of the processor - there are two brown slots. One is for cache, the other for ROM. They're both a bear to take out though because its a completely different socket than a IIfx or IIsi (no little metal clips - you just shove the thing into the slot)

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  19:39:56
quote:

Just to the left of the processor - there are two brown slots. One is for cache, the other for ROM. They're both a bear to take out though because its a completely different socket than a IIfx or IIsi (no little metal clips - you just shove the thing into the slot)

thx, what's the pin count, is it a wider datapath than the quadra simms? are the simms larger or are they simms at all? do the contacts alternate by sides as in a standard edgecard connector? you can usually tell by the thru-hole above almost every contact on an edgecard setup)

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  19:49:19
quote:

thx, what's the pin count, is it a wider datapath than the quadra simms? are the simms larger or are they simms at all? do the contacts alternate by sides as in a standard edgecard connector? you can usually tell by the thru-hole above almost every contact on an edgecard setup)

I don't have most of my stuff at present - in storage...so I'd have to get back to you on that one...

--------------------

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  20:02:06
quote:

dana, does your IIx w/bare pads have 2 512 x 8 roms on the simm card?
i wonder if export/domestic differentiation due to foreign language requirements might also play a part as may be in the case of your IIx?

They have 4 chips on the rom simm - same number of roms as is on the II's board. labelled LL, ML, MH and HH - and the simm itself has "512k ROM SIMM" in big letters on it :D

They seem to have 11 pins a side, and are square - pins on all sides.

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  20:04:46
quote:

quote:

huh? . . . . on that note . . . . .

Blunt 2001:A Space Odyssey quote :D. Hal had a big ol lens with the red light behind it...

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  20:15:03
quote:

I don't have most of my stuff at present - in storage...so I'd have to get back to you on that one...

nopro, fw, they went to a 4MB ROM config, and probably a wider datapath on the PPC's, my guess is it's an edgecard connector (DIMM?) coz a SIMM socket would be need to be something like 6-8" wide to have enough contacts. i don't think push-in slots were used for simms anyway. dug up the bookmark for a link i posted in a related thread at fritter, interesting table of info.
http://www.emulators.com/softmac.htm#MACROMINFO
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  09:29:47
I can post puter piccies too :D.

this is my puter room, in a really messed-up composite piccy just cos - you guessed it - I was bored!.

http://www.danamania.com/temp/composite.jpg

from left to right:
Dani - 6100/66
an unnamed Quadra 605 (eee!) on top of:
Bug - LC630
Niles - 8100/80
Danamania - iMac 400!
Trudy - PPC 950
Skye - a shy n hiding 540c
Angela - Quadra 605

And most of my other maccies - a couple of 605's, 475's, another 6100/66, IIci, IIcx and then 12 pizzaboxes stacked behind there. The Classic II and Plus are in my bedroom hiding with the II and IIx... and a Q700 is coming :D.

Sorry it's not messy enough *grin*

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  09:40:36
I just put two new pics of my Quadra 840av's setup on it's page on my site!

Whee! Bot, I really need to paint that MultiScan 15" black, eh?

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  09:56:40
quote:

Whee! Bot, I really need to paint that MultiScan 15" black, eh?

white!. pure white, methinks...

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  10:01:20
Yeah but the it wouldn't match...well, I guess it would be nice, it would even make it look like a 16"! Anything's better than weathered biege, in my book...

666th poster to the

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.