All Forums
 Lounge
 Cage Up Your iMac!
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  04:04:31
Look at this funky iMac desk, at first I was like this is kool then read some replys to the thread I found this I was like naw, its beggin to fall over, no room to put my soda and pizza, and does not look to struddy.

http://homepage.mac.com/flashgoirl/PhotoAlbum3.html

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k File Server General
68k Macs Liberated:16

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  06:50:29
quote:

Look at this funky iMac desk, at first I was like this is kool then read some replys to the thread I found this I was like naw, its beggin to fall over, no room to put my soda and pizza, and does not look to struddy.

i love the typo! it looks like it MIGHT be sturdy enough, but the design aesthetic eschews studly appearances with a vengeful/playful attitude. gives me a whimsical chambermusic stand with harpsichord and synthesizer kinda feeling looking at it, not my kinda by a long shot (neither is the i-mac, but this desk treatment is the first time i've not reacted by thinking it looked like a steaming cowpIeMac.) it got me thinkin' about installation designs for the i-mac, instead of rolling my eyeballs back and muttering about slots & portraits, so i'd say the design is VERY successful if it can derail those reactions in this jaded observer.

like it, but i wouldn't kick the tires,
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  06:59:49

That looks a lil messy - although, if the photo were taken in a better location, and with the cables tidied away rather than just thrown down the side, it would probably be a rather neat little desklet :D

I far prefer my big hulking setup - I have a corner bench that was once part of a shop here in town, which my father scavenged when he was helping to empty the place after the owners moved out. 6 feet on one side, 5 feet on another, and about 2 feet deep. I could almost crawl up & sleep on it at times :D.

dana (I think I need to do some quicktake snapping of it...)

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:53:55
I'd prefer to cage my iMac in one of these.

http://www.marathoncomputer.com/irac.html

Just waiting for one to show up cheap on Ebay

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  08:05:18
quote:

allriiiiggghhhhhtttt! gotta figure out how to post pics of my erector set desk on wheels,'s a really low budget takeoff on racknount/glasstopfoofoo/chic with all the wiring running thru an umbilical from a utilities/lighting track above. think you'll like it, A.
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  11:06:20
quote:

Oooh I hadn't seen the professional version of these - luvverly. Delightfully minimal-like.

Now to modify that case, remove the rackmounts, and make it the tiny tiny tiniest pizzabox... and put a PROPER computer in, like a Q605.

dana (apologies, my obsession is showing...)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  11:53:30
quote:

Now to modify that case, remove the rackmounts, and make it the tiny tiny tiniest pizzabox... and put a PROPER computer in, like a Q605.

dana (apologies, my obsession is showing...)

hey! earth to bananadanaramadingdong! the rackmout hardware is the whole freakin' point of that box! rackmount stuff is so expensive even i don't buy it and i'm certifiably insane when it comes to industrial type hardware! fab your own tiny minimalist case!

jt

p.s. make it look like that 040 piccie!

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  12:03:36
quote:

hey! earth to bananadanaramadingdong! the rackmout hardware is the whole freakin' point of that box! rackmount stuff is so expensive even i don't buy it and i'm certifiably insane when it comes to industrial type hardware! fab your own tiny minimalist case!

but it doesn't *LOOK* cool! (it's got cute written all over it in big letters tho :D

quote:

p.s. make it look like that 040 piccie!

OSX makes bryce a pain :(. I did a little more on it, but started getting frustrated with the interpretation of pointer stuff to classic. bummer!

dana

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:33:47
Actually the reason I am lusting after an irack is becuse the power supply in my iMac overheated and failed, and the flyback transformer had overheated and was on the verge of failure. An irack would get me around not only the failed power supply and the busted flyback transformer, but the thing that caused them in the first place, the iMacs completely crappy thermodynamic propertys.

Yeah I know, I could just buy an iMac with a busted logic board off of Ebay, but where would the fun in that be?

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:36:59
quote:

but where would the fun in that be?

imploding the extra crt!
jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  00:26:05
I have something for a similar purpose but it is for laptops and pda's. It is in silver and black. I use insulation meant for hot water pipes for wire ties. It comes in 3-4 foot lengths and in different colors. I like it better than old fashioned wire ties and makes an effective cable keeper. You can also stick memos and stuff on them like a cork board. I have not been able to see the new Imac in the flesh, not even at our local Apple Reseller down the street. It does bring up a whole new world of Imac funiture that will take clues from the new design...a sort of minimalist view.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  07:54:17
quote:

I have something for a similar purpose but it is for laptops and pda's. It is in silver and black. I use insulation meant for hot water pipes for wire ties. It comes in 3-4 foot lengths and in different colors. I like it better than old fashioned wire ties and makes an effective cable keeper. You can also stick memos and stuff on them like a cork board.

that sounds good for static cable management, for my umbilical, i ran all the cables i thought i would ever need (power, all three phone lines, AV, serial, appletalk and several cat-5 runs) thru a 6' length of light gray 1.25" i.d. shopvac hose. the ringed ribs make it look suitably techie and the ends fit nicely into junction box fittings for 1.5" electrical conduit and are held by the two set screws, making for a clean panel installation at both ends. i love the new power strips with 12' and 15' cords, using one for power tools with 10 outlets made the project very easy.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  17:34:11
Anything we can do to eliminate clutter...Trash, helps. One of these days I would like to have a wall of built-in computer stations, storage and stuff (cpu's of all types) that I collect. I use a cart to work on the "computer of the day". I keep the Macs and the PC stuff separated so they don't "fight" each other when I am not looking. At least I am not collecting mainframe stuff and old memory cores. If I had a basement...I might. I just hope I never start going to goverment auctions...although it might be nice to have some old NORAD stuff...hmm.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  17:54:30
quote:

At least I am not collecting mainframe stuff and old memory cores. If I had a basement...I might. I just hope I never start going to goverment auctions...although it might be nice to have some old NORAD stuff...hmm.

ooohyeeah!! 'minds me of the story a 'bout the guy that my buddy knew who heats his house in the winter with his PDP-XX collection!

*wonders if his dad's got any of those old "think" plaques in the attic or that core memory sample that was so cool*

hey, rex, head over to MAF unplugged, the kiddies are pretending to have a seventies theme party goin down! what a freakin' rip!

jt: technosaur *party animal in semi-retirement*

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:08:33
I go to government auctions...

anyway, I picked up my desks from there (that's right, two!). They were in shocking condition, so I got them for $15. I sanded back, laquered and polished; good as new. One of them even has a leather top! (You couldn't tell before cleaning it!)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  09:49:00
quote:

ooohyeeah!! 'minds me of the story a 'bout the guy that my buddy knew who heats his house in the winter with his PDP-XX collection!

It's scary the heat that a few boxies can put out - I hadn't been in my flat for around 24 hours when I just came back not too long ago - and the place was -cool-... despite it being a bit warm through the day. Normally nights are so hot... now I know why...

*looks suspiciously at 8100/950/imac/630...*

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.