All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Conquest in waiting....
Author Topic  
Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  01:37:34
Just as soon as I get time (the story of my life!) I am planning some PB5xx fun. I have two 520c, well actually three. The best thing is that the third one has a PPC mobo in it. I know that's not very 68k of me, but dammit I can't wait to boot that baby up. Out of the three machines, I'll be able to get two running nicely (which will include the PPC of course) and one left over for parts - one of the screens is stuffed unfortunately.

68k MLA ParaMedic

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  01:48:25
quote:

Just as soon as I get time (the story of my life!) I am planning some PB5xx fun. I have two 520c, well actually three. The best thing is that the third one has a PPC mobo in it. I know that's not very 68k of me, but dammit I can't wait to boot that baby up. Out of the three machines, I'll be able to get two running nicely (which will include the PPC of course) and one left over for parts - one of the screens is stuffed unfortunately.

Oooh. Oz Ebay has a 520c for sale which doesn't work - but the screen is apparently okee.

liberate liberate liberate!

danadanadana

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  02:38:48
Well, you can have the 'bits' when I'm done with them. I know that the 520c mobo is fine, it's just the screen that is screwed.....

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  03:07:08
Oh shit, you don't mean this 520c do you? We'd better not bid against each other then, I've already got 3 PowerBooks anyway

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  03:49:30
quote:

Oh shit, you don't mean this 520c do you? We'd better not bid against each other then, I've already got 3 PowerBooks anyway

Thats the one! I wasn't bidding on it - don't need another laptop yet!. Just suggesting a working screen one might go well with your broken screen one... :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  03:56:08
Yoick! Best I go make a bid then....

*dashes off to eBay*

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  06:59:29
What luck!
THIS VERY NIGHT I screwed my 540c when trying to tighten a screw on the screen bar: I need a 500 series chassis! How much do you want for it?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:11:46
Well, I'll let you know what parts I have spare once I've finished... are we talking the chassis near the hinge?

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:10:32
I assume so, I've never opened up a 500 series... to scared to try yet!

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  06:08:07
Keep me informed... my poor 'Book needs a chassis!!!

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  05:01:34
Update: March 7th

Well I got another PB 520c delivered today (found it on eBay of course!) and so i thoought I'd start playing around a bit. The other two PB's mentioned earlier belong to a friend of mine, and we havn't had a chance to see each other for a while...so that's why I bought another PB...

Anyhoo, the raw materials at hand were a PPC PB5xx, a 520c and a 180 - none of which boot up! After a few hours of fiddling around... a dead floppy...a dodgy internal SCSI cable..and one dead drive.... I've managed to get the 520c and the 180 working - I havn't actually tried the PPC mobo yet coz basically I want an early night The most excellent news is that one of the RAM modules I have is 32MB WooHoo!!!!

Next weekend I'll try the PPC mobo

to be continued.....

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  01:36:08
Well, I'm at home. Sick and bored...so i thought I'd give this project another go. There's some good news, and bad news....

The good news is that the 520c works fine. The bad news is that the SCSI on the PowerPC doesn't appear to work, but I'm working on it - I just need to pull the whole thing apart and check the connector on the underside of the motherboard. If it's not the connector or the ribbon cable itself, then I don't know what it is... I'll have to start swapping daughterboards over to the good mobo on the 520c and see if I can get it going that way. On the good news front, I do have an internal modem and a 36MB RAM module (not 32 as I mentioned previously). Bad news is that i only have a 160 and 240MB HD - the 320MB HD won't work at all. I guess when i do get it going it'll have to be a slim OS7.5 install, rather than OS8.

I'll be back when I've sorted it all out

68k MLA ParaMedic

Several hours later....

No wonder I'm so confused about the RAM module size (32 or 36MB). I checked the AppleSpec, and the PB500PPC has 8MB of RAM on the motherboard instead of 4. Anyhow, what I'm really trying to find out now is whether I can swap the PPC processor into the 520c motherboard because the PPC mobo SCSI still isn't working, there's something wromg with the video (picture slowly goes blue when it's been powered up for a while), and I've only got one working floppy between the two machines anyway.

One other thing I keep forgetting to mention is how useful it is to boot off a RAM disk! Especially when the internal HD isn't functioning and you don't have access to external devices. I've added the Memory control panel to my startup floppies and the first thing I do after starting up is create a RAM disk and reboot. Then I copy a System Folder onto the RAM disk, and reboot again (but don't insert a floppy disk so it forces to boot off the RAM) It's soooo quick to boot after that, and means that you can run disk repair or formatting utilities off the floppy disk until you 'find' the hard drive. If you hang or crash during this process you can just give the old three finger salute (Command+Control+Power Key) and the Mac will reboot quickly again. So long as you don't fully shut down, the System folder (and whatever else you copy there) will remain intact. Cool huh?

To be continued..... the service manuals just finished downloading and I want to see how to pull this apart......

Edited by - Flash on 04 Apr 2002 04:45:59Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  06:45:23
quote:

Well, I'm at home. Sick and bored...so i thought I'd give this project another go. There's some good news, and bad news....

One other thing I keep forgetting to mention is how useful it is to boot off a RAM disk! Especially when the internal HD isn't functioning and you don't have access to external devices. I've added the Memory control panel to my startup floppies and the first thing I do after starting up is create a RAM disk and reboot. Then I copy a System Folder onto the RAM disk, and reboot again (but don't insert a floppy disk so it forces to boot off the RAM) It's soooo quick to boot after that, and means that you can run disk repair or formatting utilities off the floppy disk until you 'find' the hard drive. If you hang or crash during this process you can just give the old three finger salute (Command+Control+Power Key) and the Mac will reboot quickly again. So long as you don't fully shut down, the System folder (and whatever else you copy there) will remain intact. Cool huh?

yup, way cool! you should try it on a PB100 with a non-volatile RAM disk! those three huge batteries in the 100 keep the RAM powered so you don't lose the contents of the RAM disk and the whole system runs a lot faster when it's in there besides booting more quickly.

hoping to hear more good news soon, 'bout the books & the bug!

get well soon!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  07:01:31
Well it turns out that the SCSI ribbon was ripped near the connector underneath the mobo. I now have a fully funtioning PowerBook 500/PPC (601 @ 100MHz with 33Mhz bus speed), 40MB RAM, modem and 240MB HD. I am so happy!!

**skips around singing "happy happy joy joy" song**

I am in the process of installing OS8.1 and hopefully soon I will be reading these pages via the 'Book.

A far as spare parts go... I have a few. The 520c (68LC040) motherboard is fine, 2x 8MB RAM modules, LCD screen, most of a case..... didn't you want some bits ~coxy?

OK - I'm off to play...

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  07:37:12
quote:

Well it turns out that the SCSI ribbon was ripped near the connector underneath the mobo. I now have a fully funtioning PowerBook 500/PPC (601 @ 100MHz with 33Mhz bus speed), 40MB RAM, modem and 240MB HD. I am so happy!!

**skips around singing "happy happy joy joy" song**

*high fives flash!*

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  18:08:34
I fixed up my 'Book, so I don't need a chassis anymore.

About the RAM cards: If I've got 12 megs in there are the slots filled?

i.e. Are there two slots, or one? 4 mobo, and an extra 8, I think I have.

00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  06:53:45
That's correct

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  00:08:40
Yay!!!!! More FrankenBooks! Now maybe my little 145B won't feel as alone? (Remember, it took 3 dead 'Books before i had the parts to build this thing. The display cable came from a completely written off 140 with some pretty dead parts, the daughtercard came from a pretty beaten up 170 (FPU...yay!!!!!), and it pretty much all came together to ressurect the third dead PowerBook.)

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  02:10:41
I was thinking of hacking a PB500 (no, not mine!) into a PresentationMac, ultralight with a trackpad built in. How much do you want for your 520 mobo?

00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  08:30:26
hmmm, not much. I'll send you an email......

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.