All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Beefing A Quadra 610
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  23:51:21
Well Id like to beef my Quadra 610 to the xtreme, I got the 68Mbs ram down and im puttin 2 bad boy 1gigs(all i can aford). What else can I do? Thanks

-----
Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops, 68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  00:54:36
I would be beefing my 610 up too but it died a while back.

my dream drool-onto-keyboard setup
2gb internal HD
8x internal CD-ROM
external Zip 100
1 MB VRAM (2 x 256K)
68 MB RAM (you already have that - nice!)
a nice multi-res monitor (15"+)
Sonnet QuadDoubler (http://sonnettech.com/product/quaddoubler.html)

edit: the QuadDoubler is not discontinued - silly fw.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 18 Feb 2002 00:57:21Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:16:34
quote:

get another one and do a double decker hack with internal cdrw and internal zip, and a few internal hdd bays with the extra case/space.

jt: power tools, bondo and spray paint are good things!
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:49:22
quote:

quote:

get another one and do a double decker hack with internal cdrw and internal zip, and a few internal hdd bays with the extra case/space.

Whatta nifty idea... pity they have the slightly curvy bits on the side, or you could stack it sideways... and then. um. when it's sideways you could...

...well you could have it sideways and see where to go from there!

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macreleased/images/6100.jpg

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  07:58:24
quote:

...well you could have it sideways and see where to go from there!

from there: add wheels, monitor, keyboard tray and utility umbilical 'n's a freakin'desk!

jt
=8-}

p.s. power tools are for curvectomy, bondo'n spraypaint for cosmetic rehab post feets surgery 'n to fair faceplates together etc.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Feb 2002 07:59:07Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  12:13:20
quote:

15 minutes and ten thousand pixels later...

A Quadra 61,0610

3 internal 3.5" drive bays, scsi cdrom and cd-rw, floppy, and lots of ventilation, enough room for a VERTICAL PDS card. Perhaps even a floppy and a zip if you needed!.

VERY COOL! just add the zip slot on lower case and will be PERFECTION! I don't have a 610 series case, is flopslot same as 605? that one is a scootch too narrow but height is ok for ZIP if alignment is spot-on. awesome mp3 box. great job vrhackmaniac!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  12:20:56
quote:

Oops - I didn't think of that. 610's (the ones I've seen) don't have the little rounded middle chunky bit cut out, that pic was originally a 6100 :D. I'll have a bit more a play with the pic and have my people get back to you :D.

have your people contact my plastic fish, they've been nagging me so much that i put the little buggers to work doing my calendar.

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  12:54:11
quote:

Mit Zip!. It does look a lot more balanced that way.

's droolworthy! kickass10/freakin'awesome, you are THE master of the vrhack, maniac! it's wonderful!

wonder if the chips on the NuBus adapter card will support multiple slots? bet there's room for three plus cards in there and i wonder if they went to the trouble of creating a one slot bus-buffering asic, anybody got a NuBus adapter card to read the chip info for comparison to mobo asics?

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  13:08:55
quote:

cinemafia mentioned nubus extenders - something I've never heard much about, or even seen.

ciiiiiinemo! we need your experience. :D

i'm beginning to wonder if a 6400 or 6500 mobo drawer transplant makes sense, don't really do the music thing so other than 68k cachet, wonder if pci makes sense for a music box? when i wanted to listen to music without any fuss, i bought a 101 cd changer and pushing the random button on it is my neanderthaler notion of a playlist, oh well, works for me.

jt: technosaur

p.s. got a cassette deck that will keep repeating both sides of a pair of relaxation tapes until i stop it too, lil lazy here *actually unmotivated is a better term*.

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  13:20:03
Dumbie here if I was to do that how could would I connect them, cause I will if you can tell me!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k File Server General
68k Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  13:34:49
quote:

Dumbie here if I was to do that how could would I connect them, cause I will if you can tell me!

nothin' dumb about ya kid, just cut down on the IMin' when you're hanging here and your posts will better reflect yer intellect *ooh, poetic even! and look who's postin' this kind of advice, it is to laugh!* anyhoo, connect which, just the the cases to make a pure 68k or the cases/mobos to do a duplex hack?

jt

cooling/aiflow incompatabilities might make the duplex version a nutcracker! i'd stick with one or the other myself, maybe stack a straight 68k on top of the ppc hack if i were to follow dana's suggestion.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  13:39:41
quote:

I would imagine a very short ethernet crossover cable would work, with something like timbuktu.

...and I've never used timbuktu, but apparently you can remote-use a system with pretty much full graphic abilities.

that would be my advice regarding a duplex hack (besides the seperate third story).

*the only thing you forgot was the chainsaw, that's the fun part for me, but Ti's a little young for playing with one of those so i won't mention it *

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:57:08
If I had a Quadra with extra 2 drive bays to hack around with, I'd put in a 2GB drive A/UX with on a 1GB partition, OS 8.1 on the other gig, and an external CD-R/RW drive (better than Jaz or Zip, IMHO) in addition to the built in CD-ROM drive, and QuadDoubler.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:25:14
Ok danamania that 68k/PPC co mac has already been done its called "SuperMac"! But that was with a printer cable on 2 seperate monitors. I would like to ether merge my 610 an 6116CD together or shove the 6116 board in the 610, I though need some help with the merging how would I do that? two more things, how would I do a paint job and not damage the beautiful Macintosh, Apple, and Model logo? Is there such thing as a SCSI cable with more than 2 device hook ups, an internal one? Thanks!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k File Server General
68k Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  18:12:56
quote:

how would I do a paint job and not damage the beautiful Macintosh, Apple, and Model logo? Is there such thing as a SCSI cable with more than 2 device hook ups, an internal one?

you could probably keep the two front bezels seperate if you are going to paint it the same color as original, there would slill be a line in between and redundant graphics so that's not how i would proceed. the apple logo would not be hard to mask, might even want to drip wax into it to clean out later. actually, i wouldn't be at all surprised if they could be popped out, never tried it. model designations are sometimes on inserts that might be handled the same way. the screenprinted macintosh designation would probably not be salvageable, masking off a panel or creating a recessed well and using the original logo portion down in it is the best suggestion i can think of short of creating a silk screen stencil and reprinting the graphics.

a decent pc store should have multiconnector internal scsi cables.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  07:26:27
quote:

On the inside of the case behind the apple logo (which is a tiny tiny piece of painted aluminium, there is a small hole - push gently with a paperclip in there and the soft adhesive gradually lets go :D

painted aluminum . . .hmmm? . . . . . baked enamel?

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:09:40
Make your own internal SCSI ribbons, it's a lot cheaper. You need 50 pin IDC cable and some SCSI crimping connectors. Oh, and a vice.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:17:53
quote:

Make your own internal SCSI ribbons, it's a lot cheaper. You need 50 pin IDC cable and some SCSI crimping connectors. Oh, and a vice.

collecting old 68ks is a vice, if you forsee a need to make make than one cable, i agree, making your own is the way to go, when i do so, i use the vise out in the shop, my vices get enough of a workout.
jt2

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.