Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 Hmm MacWorld Booth?
Author Topic  
Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  01:29:39
An MLA booth at MacWorld...that would be kinda wierd. A booth show our latest 68k system hacks...that would make Steve Jobs take a double take. Maybe we could have a contest there to see just how high we could stack our "pizza" style macs. A booth showing designer Mac II cases might be nice...anyone for a dayglo Mac IIfx?

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  03:29:08
You can totally count me in, I'd get up money for these if everyone else would help out too, but we would have to do it at MacWorld SF I live not too far from there and I would be able to stay for the whole time and wounder the audience.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon"
Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
HaCks General
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  05:52:59
Do you know how much that kind of thing costs? I'll bet it's far too expensive...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  07:04:05
quote:

Do you know how much that kind of thing costs? I'll bet it's far too expensive...

I would not be at all surprised if free booth space were availabe for "organizations" such as 68kMLA. I'm not certain, but I don't think NYMUG ever paid for its booth, conventions frequently offer free booths to novelty exhibitors. I'm also fairly certain that sandwich boards worn by unauthorized organizations would not very welcome. But if i'm wrong, I know of a sign company in ny which might be cooperative in terms of production.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  08:38:43
That would be cool....we could show off 68ks running MpegDec, Linux, etc. I think a booth would cost about $1000 (the odds of getting a free booth are nil), so if we chip in, we could end up paying as little as $50-$100 each. I'd do it!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  23:36:03
Money is not even a problem, I mean having Steve Jobs come up to us and seeing our 68ks working like a charm OMG!!!! I would even save up more money for it too, if we where serious Id look a lot more into if you guys want me to. This would be so cool and well worth what u guys think?

-----
Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops, 68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  23:53:00
hmm...it is worth sending an email off to MacWorld. We may even start a trend...in retro computing. Man ...the geek in me is getting excited...down boy...down...lol!

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  03:18:20
**Slips into "mac Geek" shirt**

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k File Server General
68k Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  06:29:14
quote:

**Slips into "mac Geek" shirt**

gives me an idea, we need design concepts for a t-shirt. I kinda like the idea of bdu's (fatigues) done in a splinter comouflage pattern of images of 68000 era cpu's, discrete components, glue chips, the early lsi & vlsi asics like the iwm, and lots of DIP IC's. do some cool t-shirt and print designs, they might even sell online, could just be another bout of incoherence.

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:10:27
quote:

gives me an idea, we need design concepts for a t-shirt. I kinda like the idea of bdu's (fatigues) done in a splinter comouflage

I'm not a big fan of camouflage T-shirts...reminds of of tacky high-school cross-country team shirts (you X-C runners know what I'm talking about - you've seen 'em)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:34:14
quote:

I'm not a big fan of camouflage T-shirts...reminds of of tacky high-school cross-country team shirts (you X-C runners know what I'm talking about - you've seen 'em)

neither am i, in the bdu description i was referring specifiacally to SUPER TACKY complete outfits for macworld booth crew a/o or mingling in the crowd like a bunch of techno-dorks in combat boots and web gear type outfits!

i agree that t-shirts should be a LITTLE classier than what i was describing (only half in jest, btw).

jt

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  00:14:15
Trash, you are giving me
"DEVO" flashbacks...the horror...the horror!

:)

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  03:27:02
I know was going go to Kinko's and buy some iron stickers with the 68k MLA army in black on them. I will when I get money.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  07:21:37
quote:

Trash, you are giving me
"DEVO" flashbacks...the horror...the horror!

thanks, rex, i needed that! now i'm off the dweeb-wear train of thought! robert palmer's videos were much better in the style department, simply irresistable.
http://www.mtv-china.com/avzone/photo/video/8addicted.jpg

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Feb 2002 10:01:13Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  11:57:49
I think desert or urban camo fatigues (to match the biege/platinum 68ks's) with black combat boots and a standard white t-shirt with the 68k MLA logo across the front would be a perfect uniform. It would be funny to have a Quadra hooked up to a Netwon playing mp3's, just like a newer mac to an iPod. That would start some conversations...

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  15:51:38
When is MacWorld NewYork? Every January yes?

If we start planning and raising cash NOW, we could have a booth, and all sorts of stuff.

Me personally, I'll wear Arctic Camo. And if someone goes and pays for a sandwich board to wander around in, they should be shot (with a bolt from a SE's CRT of course). MAKE one! A little bit of paint and 2 boards, and a couple straps. If you pay more than $15 you're crazy.

How are we to get ~Coxy here from Oz?
~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  16:12:35
quote:

if someone goes and pays for a sandwich board to wander around in, they should be shot (with a bolt from a SE's CRT of course). MAKE one! A little bit of paint and 2 boards, and a couple straps. If you pay more than $15 you're crazy.

Hi, Marchie, I own a sign company, sandwich boards go for considerably more than $15, but i was implying that there would be no fees involved (a little too obliquely it seems, my mistake). Somebody gave me a 40" wide CAMMJET that we could use for four-color output for booth graphics, but the consumables are too expensive for me to donate, we could use my shop as a staging area for the effort, so nobody would have to worry about baggage checking placards or booth display materials.

i've done work in the javits center, keep in mind that even if the expo folks gave us free booth space as a not-for-profit novelty fill-in exhibit, javits is a union shop and setup fees for things like electrical hookups will eat us alive (tho it is doable). friends of mine do signage for about half the tradeshows there, so i can get the story on the ins and outs of the process in general, but they don't work with the gc who does macworld, so specifics on it are not readily available to me.

sponsorship from one of the used equipment resellers, accelerator companies, or even apple should probably be explored. big exhibitors frequently take smaller outfits "under their wing" to fill huge blocks of booth space that they are required to take to get a choice placement for their own setup.

just some thoughts,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  18:01:30
quote:

When is MacWorld NewYork? Every January yes?

MacWorld San Fransisco = January
Apple Expo Tokyo = March
MacWorld New York = July
Apple Expo Paris = September

Actually, I am quite fond of the urban or arctic camo look, prefering urban the most.

I know that if we do get to do this, I would be glad to help out in whatever way possible, being that I live about 40 miles from the Javits Center, and I can get the time off to go do it (I was there last year, and this year I have a better mode of transportation to get there.) Unfortunetly, I have very limited time and money to donate due to college costs for this year. But you can count me in for manpower!

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  19:18:56
About those t-shirts: don't make them too stupid. If you ride NYC subways while looking too geeky, you will inevitably get mugged .
I'd be happy with something that looks similar to the Forums logo.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  19:40:37
quote:

I'll take that as a complement (I made the logo)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  19:54:54
quote:

quote:

I'll take that as a complement (I made the logo)

agreed, it would be great in black or white, front and back on a plain T same spec. which would go great with urbam cammies and black combat boots for the buz effect a unified theme might produce at macworld. even without a booth it might be great fun to be able to spot each other from halfway across the floor, and would probably get us some ink in the mags.

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  20:43:19
hmm, a witty slogan would be in order too...

"Gee-four, schmee-four - I'd rather have a Quadra 840av"

--------------------
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and the HTML Keyboard of...um...Greater Knowledge™?
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  20:53:34
quote:

hmm, a witty slogan would be in order too...

"can't be beat .

. macs w/feets!"

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  21:11:05
that would seem a bit crypitic for those who aren't "in the know" about 68ks..

edit: <grammar bandit mode> that would be "Macs with feet"...you wouldn't want those PPC-ers to think that 68k-ers are un-educated </grammar bandit mode>

--------------------
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and the HTML Keyboard of...um...Greater Knowledge™?
--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 19 Feb 2002 21:13:55Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  21:42:26
quote:

that would seem a bit crypitic for those who aren't "in the know" about 68ks..

edit: <grammar bandit mode> that would be "Macs with feet"...you wouldn't want those PPC-ers to think that 68k-ers are un-educated </grammar bandit mode>

ino, was really a joke for in-forum crowd, but . . . .

. . . most anybody at macworld who's not a little bit "in the know" is gonna think we're retarded . . . . er . ? . ! . intellectually challenged? . . for giving a rat's rump about this stuff anyway. other than dumpster ballast pricing levels and that certain 68kCachet our toys don't have a whole lot goin' for them (for the macworld crowd anyway) except retro styling and feets-n-periscope crt's are the most obvious characteristics to play on that i can think of. on madison avenue *advertising agencies are long gone from that hood* a REALLY stupid pitch is still considered a potentially effective pitch. if we've got any budding animators in the ranks, a q605 dancin' around or cine's 840av kickin' the cowpie outta one of the new i-macs might be interesting *could get somebody burned at the stake, but we won't go into that right now*. gotta look at all the angles . . . . .

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  23:19:35
Ok, this thread has inspired me.

I'm going to go get a camo t-shirt, and the IronOn transfers for InkJet printers and make myself a 68k MLA shirt tommorrow.

I'll post pictures.

~Chaplain Marchie
68k MLA

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:03:36
If there is going to be a legitimate effort, I would pay money into a group fund. But first, we need to start exploring options NOW: free space (unlikely?)/small space/sponsored by vendor...

Who want to be US coordinator (prefarably someone in NY)?

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  10:05:14
Umm, I wouldn't say just one coordinator for the entire US.
We should probably have:

2 East Coast Coordinator (1 for New York and nearby states, one for Florida and other southern states)
1 Central Time Zone Coordinator (Based around Chicago)
2 West Coast Coordinators (1 for Los Angeles, 1 for San Francisco)
2 Austrailian Coordinators (You guys pick the city regions)

This way we have representitives in all sections that could organize stuff. Also, if we only had one rep in NY, then the long distance charges would get pretty steep after a while when calling LA or Chicago.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs Liberated

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  11:10:57
quote:

Umm, I wouldn't say just one coordinator for the entire US.
We should probably have:

2 East Coast Coordinator (1 for New York and nearby states, one for Florida and other southern states)
1 Central Time Zone Coordinator (Based around Chicago)
2 West Coast Coordinators (1 for Los Angeles, 1 for San Francisco)
2 Austrailian Coordinators (You guys pick the city regions)

potential volunteers might need estimates of mission parameters/specs. for consideration.

is the internet long distance phone thing still viable, and could it be used for conferencing within the ranks?

jt

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  18:40:07
Ok...it looks like we need someone with unlimited resources, who is known in the computer industry and who has involvement with Apple during the years to get this thing going. Now where did I put Bill Gates phone number? LOL!

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  07:12:50
Why Australian coordinators? There's little chance any of us will get there, although I suppose I could staff a booth in the Perth Apple Update later this year...

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  15:48:34
Let's start a petition for MacWorld Syndey!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k MLA

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  16:40:46
quote:

Let's start a petition for MacWorld Syndey!

Let's revive plans for Macworld Dubbo!!!

dana

Go to Top of Page

AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  10:38:45
Uhhh...
<skepticism>
How are people from Australia, Europe, various parts of the US and Canada going to come together for a computer expo? And I think there's only 3 or 4 forum members who live anywhere near an expo.
</skepticism>

No. of Macs Liberated: 1
No. of Macs: 3
No. of PCs Scrapped: 2
<END OF TRANSMISSION>Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  12:26:56
In theory, that would be a great idea. Unfortunetly, in reality the cost of getting there will exceed our budgets signifigantly. (I would be able to go to MWNY, but not MWSF.)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs Liberated

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:09:59
quote:

In theory, that would be a great idea. Unfortunately, in reality the cost of getting there will exceed our budgets significantly. (I would be able to go to MWNY, but not MWSF.

while having a booth at macworld sounds cool, if the point of a macworld booth were a get-together, it wouldn't be worthwhile. *see footnote

1) it might be a good idea to create a new forum in which the threads would act as “ open discussion subcommittees” of more closely focused aspects of cooperative ventures., imho, it will help to get things done if we are actually going to accomplish anything

2) having a booth at macworld to spread the word in hopes of encouraging a 68k renaissance at macworld would be great, but without some kind of sponsorship it’s probably silly to consider it. brainstorming to come up with a list of potential sponsors is something that i would think should be done in its own thread.

3) a much more realistic approach for this kind of worldwide grass roots movement can be found at:
http://www.letterhead.com/
take a look at the history of this organization and how it developed without the "help" of any bureaucratic structure whatsoever. 68k bivouacs (whatever) modeled on letterhead meets might be a lot more worthwhile endeavor. check it out, the meets are phenomenal, i’ve been to quite a few and they really have fostered international participation.

* for an international get-together, i had suggested planning “field maneuvers” at the.burning man festival this year or, more realistically, next year. burning man is something i have been watching for years and i think it would be the kind of “once-in-a-lifetime-event” that might make international participation/travel expenses worthwhile. lodging/food/entertainment provisions might be kept to a very reasonable level, a mere fraction of such costs at macworld. just an idea, i haven’t researched it online, but it’s worth considering in its own right, imho. sharing links in a new thread might be a good start, if someone seconds the motion to open discussion by posting such a thread i’ll join right in.

those are my suggestions, i would like to see something really happen somewhere, somehow, what do you folks think?

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 23 Feb 2002 15:12:46Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.