All Forums
 68k Software
 68k CD Burning Support?
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  19:50:17
If I was to shove a SCSI burner in my Quadra 610 would there be software to use to burn a cd?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon"
Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
HaCks General
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  20:02:14
quote:

If I was to shove a SCSI burner in my Quadra 610 would there be software to use to burn a cd?

Absolutely. My sis uses a Q950 for her graphic art work, and burns it all off onto CD using Toast - and thats with an external SCSI burner. I can't see a reason why an internal one would have problems...

It's an 8x burner, but works most reliably at 2x speed - probably due to a fragmented HD that doesn't quite keep up with higher speeds when combined with it only being an 040, and external SCSI.

dana

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  07:46:12
I used to burn CDs on a Preforma 550. I had to turn off most of the extensions and burn at 1X but it did work. I think I used Toast 3 but I don't remember the exact version number.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  03:32:26
Thanks guys, Im going to look for Toast tonight, later.

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k File Server General
68k Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

thecube84

USA
56 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  09:23:35
my grandfather burns cds on his quadra 840av with an internal scsi burner. he does this for his software company. he puts his software on floppies from his PC and then burns LESS THAN A MEGABYTE on a cd......

--
//=\\ |L |E ><
|F (()) |R ||))Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  09:07:08
If you can't find an older 68k version of Toast, there's also another 68k CD authoring app that I use, I think it's called NeroMax.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  22:33:02
hey Dana!

If you could get us a copy of that version of Toast your sis uses and get it on the Hotline server, we'd all be VERY grateful...

secondly...
In order to burn at greater than 2x speeds, your best bet is to have this setup:

1)A burning software that will do a "SCSI TO SCSI" copy
2) a hard drive that is partitioned to be the exact size of a CD (so, 695 MB or 645)... preferably 5400 rpm
3) a SCSI CD Burner on the SAME SCSI bus as the hard drive

With that, your processor get's out of the way.

See, most SCSI burners are "smart" SCSI devices, as are most (if not all but old or really cheap ones) hard drives.

2 Mart SCSI devices can talk to each other and trasfer data with little or no CPU interfearance. So if you are useing Toast, then while your system will still not be usable when you burn CDs, by doing a SCSI to SCSI connection, you can get 4 or even 6x speeds on a 68k Macs. This is because the devices take care of the dat aprocess, not the processor.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2002 :  18:45:10
Can you burn audio cds that way? Sounds like an excellent plan for data, but will it do audio?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2002 :  19:26:46
quote:

Can you burn audio cds that way? Sounds like an excellent plan for data, but will it do audio?

I think dana is probably talking about toast 3.5.x which did not handle audio recording very well. adaptec "jam" was the audio recording utility. i think you could make a backup cd to keep in the car (wouldn't want a commercial cd to melt, or get stolen would we :-) from a standard audio cd using scsi copy mode, but i don't remember.

jt

p.s. marchie, check your freakin' mailbox and get back to me!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.