68k Hacks
 hacktabitsies
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  08:57:35
I was thinking today - before y'all ask, it did hurt - :)

I used to be a bit of a petrolhead (mad about old cars) - and some of the custom work done on them was brilliant. Not just excellent concepts, but flawlessly created. Things like completely hidden wiring throughout the car, immaculate interiors, very nice colour coding, and using all kinds of materials, all put together so cleanly they're better than factory quality...

...there's none of that in PC case mods. Unless you count getting a window in the case and a neon light inside as being kind of cool :P. The thoughts I had today were along the lines of, say, a Q950... with everything smoothed over. HD's and wires and ribbon cable shifted out of sight, JUST the exact right length to go where needed. The internal speaker covered, perhaps some kind of interesting treatment to the inside case...

...or let's say something a bit more complex - a Quadra 800, wall mounted... with no case. Everything laid out in order against the wall connected by immaculate cables - the wires to the led for example, hidden in pretty tubing, a HD here in its own small clean case, power cords, floppy drive and cdrom cables leading from the motherboard outwards in a star... not one ripple in a cable. like a machine laid bare...

...a completely minimal, pure-white desktop with hollow stainless steel rods of different heights coming up out of it, each one mounting a HD, PSU, floppy, motherboard... a Quadra 605 floating in space, all cables hidden as much as possible and going down under the desk to connect...

I'm liking this :D

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  10:02:18
quote:

...there's none of that in PC case mods. Unless you count getting a window in the case and a neon light inside as being kind of cool :P. The thoughts I had today were along the lines of, say, a Q950... with everything smoothed over. HD's and wires and ribbon cable shifted out of sight, JUST the exact right length to go where needed. The internal speaker covered, perhaps some kind of interesting treatment to the inside case...

...or let's say something a bit more complex - a Quadra 800, wall mounted... with no case. Everything laid out in order against the wall connected by immaculate cables - the wires to the led for example, hidden in pretty tubing, a HD here in its own small clean case, power cords, floppy drive and cdrom cables leading from the motherboard outwards in a star... not one ripple in a cable. like a machine laid bare...

...a completely minimal, pure-white desktop with hollow stainless steel rods of different heights coming up out of it, each one mounting a HD, PSU, floppy, motherboard... a Quadra 605 floating in space, all cables hidden as much as possible and going down under the desk to connect...

I'm liking this :D

me2, but called type "gearheads" back in the day *here in the states (midwestern & upstate ny).

Very cool concept, danadanadana! only problem is tricked out computers haven't got that certain: "lets go cruise chiquitas down at the [insert local version of the strip or main street for the pickup (truck) *tee-hee* modmaniacs] appeal that goes part & parcel with strategic and logistical planning for much vehicular modification. "Come on back to my place and check out my custom PCB etchings" lacks a certain * visceral? , dunno * quality of some kind, in my estimation! * . . . maybe substitute "any appreciable appeal whatsoever?" . . . sigh, who cares, mod anyway!*

Speaking of car mods, here's an interesting use of bondo in computer modding:
http://www.maximumpc.com/reprints/reprint_2002-01-24.html

couldn't quickly find good pics online, but the oct 01 maxpc had a great profile on the origami master and his influence on case design at:
http://www.voodoopc.com/info/customer.asp

quickly found example of how origami cable/wire influence has trickled down to more garden variety howtos:
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/hal7.htm

one of the maxpc "rigs of the year" was an open "picture frame" wall mounted pc prototype/hack/kluge *ugleeeeeeeeeey, but in a cute way!* of what you're thinking of, nolinksorry :-(

great idea for a thread, maniac!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  10:58:54
quote:

quote:

Speaking of car mods, here's an interesting use of bondo in computer modding:

yes! I'd seen that - something unique. Almost like HR Giger's PC might look :D

set.design.alien.interrogatory *brain fuzzed out this am*

quote:

The origami idea for cable folding is good sense. My 950's HD cable goes across the scsi card, then a 90' fold, up the computer, under the drive, another 90'fold, and then plugged in. Unfortunately there's then another 2 feet of it I had to just roll up :D.

origami.guy.solution.switchback.accordian.type.fold.wire.tie.apply.look.cool.exclamatory
quote:

quote:

[quote]
great idea for a thread, maniac!

Thats my purpose in life :D

personally, been accused of misdirection of topic focus as reason for existence. *oh well*

jt *got real headache from psychosomatic hangover from virtual party last night*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Feb 2002 11:08:11Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:10:43

This reminds me of the MA issue a while ago about customised Macs, and included automotive extras such as hydraulics. They were mostly just dumb jokes, but it does get one thinking...

Strapping butane lighters to a machine, triggered by draw on the power supply, so that they spark up when the Mac is extra-busy... other fun things like that... hmm...

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  11:04:02
You mean like this?

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  11:40:35
Yeah, it's quite a bit of work, and would take even more work to get it to look really good, unlike the finished product on that site, which is still a wee "rough". They mention that all the drives they did it to are still working fine, but I would not recommend trying it on any drive that cost you a heap of money or otherwise holds some sort of sentimental value for you.

I have considered it, though, as watching the Ultra-Wide RAID in my 840av seek in tandem like synchronized swimmers would just be too much!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.