All Forums
 68k Software
 Getting At Ease off of CD
Author Topic  
seven
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  22:59:03
I have little brothers that like to mess with my backup files on our 631CD but I still want them to be able to use the computer for games. I thought that it would be easy to just install At Ease off of the install disk but it only gives me the option to reinstall the system software or a complete reinstall. Is there a way to open up the "Data File" files to see what's in them?
Perhaps there is an easier way to do this that I just don't know about. Are there any programs that would allow you to make a partition invisible to the Owner of a particular computer but yet visible to a File Sharing user? That's all I would need. Right now I have 2 partitions, "Mac OS 8.1" and "Backups". I want to make "Backups" invisible to them but visible to me from my iMac. Is this possible?
FYI the install disk I am trying to get the files off of is for Mac OS 7.5 and I am currently running 8.1
Thanks for any help you can give!

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  23:47:40
quote:

Is there a way to open up the "Data File" files to see what's in them?
Perhaps there is an easier way to do this that I just don't know about. Are there any programs that would allow you to make a partition invisible to the Owner of a particular computer but yet visible to a File Sharing user? That's all I would need. Right now I have 2 partitions, "Mac OS 8.1" and "Backups". I want to make "Backups" invisible to them but visible to me from my iMac. Is this possible?
FYI the install disk I am trying to get the files off of is for Mac OS 7.5 and I am currently running 8.1

I'm not sure about making volumes invisible - however there are utilities to password-protect them, but I don't know if that is an all-on-all-off thing, or whether it would help you.

Normally to install just a piece of the OS you'd load the installer, and in the top left hand corner is a popup which is on "Easy Install" by default. I have the 7.5.3 disk - selecting "Custom Install" lets you install just one control panel, or extension, or text file...

the only problem is I couldn't find at-ease there!

If you find "Installation Tome" files, you can use "tomeviewer" to open these and extract individual files... that may get you a little further :). I can send you tomeviewer if you like, it's fairly tiny.

dana

Go to Top of Page

seven
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  00:03:59
Thanks but I've already tried TomeViewer on the files and it didn't work. I didn't see any installer tome files on the CD anywhere. To be more exact, the CD is specifically the Performa 631CD Software Restore CD with System 7.5.1 I know it has At Ease on it, we use to use it all the time. The only way to run the installer is to restart from the CD and when you do it only gives you the option to restore or quit. If I click on restore it automatically starts to install the files, there are no other options as far as I know. One thing that I tried to do with the Data Files was to open them with Disk Copy, when I did OS X said that I inserted a disk with a format that it couldn't read but according to Disk Copy it mounted the file.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  00:06:55
quote:

I'm not sure about making volumes invisible - however there are utilities to password-protect them, but I don't know if that is an all-on-all-off thing, or whether it would help you.

hdt will do the trick, the normal startup disk on my 2300c is a 1 gb password protected/encrypted volume, the rest of the disk is a 3 gb volume. I can hit return at the password promptat startup and it will boot from the larger volume with the smaller volume remaining invisible unless I run FWB mounter/enter password.
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Feb 2002 00:10:04Go to Top of Page

seven
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  00:15:07
What is hdt and where would I get it?

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  07:34:39
quote:

What is hdt and where would I get it?

hi, sorry about that it's: fwb's (fwb is actual name of company, not being dim this time!), hard disk toolkit. It's a currently available commercial product for formatting/partitioning drives. I'm not sure if any of the old versions are downloadable somewhere. Appple's utiltity or one of the other older formatting tools may be capable of the same tricks, dunno, somebody else will jump in w/more info soon.
jt

p.s. meanwhile check out the 68k raid app thread in this forum. hdt might be available the same place as the raid toolkit, dunno, don't do hotline voodoo yet, i'm newbie re this stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  12:03:28
Getting back to your orig. question, yes you can re-install At Ease by itself. I did it before from the original install Disk as opposed to the Re-Install for my Performa 6214. You can also download At-Ease right from Apple at: http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/At_Ease/
I hope this will help you

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.