All Forums
 PowerBook
 pb display question (first post)
Author Topic  
brokenrobots
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  22:03:59
I was wondering if anyone has succesfully hooked up a pb display to a vga port. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thx.

ps I liberated a plus from my friend's basement last week. finally got my hands on a mouse, and now I'm ordering 4mb of ram.

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  22:35:17
quote:

I was wondering if anyone has succesfully hooked up a pb display to a vga port. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thx.

ps I liberated a plus from my friend's basement last week. finally got my hands on a mouse, and now I'm ordering 4mb of ram.

Congrats on the plus, and welcome :).

I had a little look around online about the possibilities of connecting old laptop LCD's to VGA/Mac monitor ports - what would be nicer than a cheap, 2nd hand LCD as a second monitor!. However the big setback seems to be that the LCD is driven directly digitally, whereas the external monitor ports on powerbook VGA has been converted from this digital signal to one compatible with a VGA monitor... apparently you'd need to built a vga->digital converter again to use this... or supply the digital info direct to the laptop's display, from the computer you're using it on - but then, that signal is going to depend on what kind of LCD it is, and may need processing also.

Having said all that and sounding really negative - I did find a site where a fellow had succesfully done it with a PC laptop screen, but he was a pretty qualified logic engineer and it all went over my head!

Pity - all those dead laptops with perfectly working screens you could go sticking in pluses, classics, se's... *grin*

dana (there's too much theory in this post... theoretically)

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  07:27:23
Forget about just sticking the screen in a Plus. You could probably fit an entire laptop into a Plus, with plenty of room left over for a 2.5 inch SCSI drive raid array...

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

brokenrobots
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  16:04:48
thx for the info dana, I was kinda anticipating those problems, and figured I would post here (just in case i was being too pesimistic). But alas, I am no logic engineer. It would be sweet to have a tiny almost free flatscreen on my non 68k desktop machine just for osx unix terminal madness. Hmm, maybe I'll just wire up the digital to analog converter on an ol book backwards between the display and my vid card -yeah right- "reverse the polarity"

As for wedging a pb into my classic... not untill the innards stop working. I am running sys6 on it now, albiet totally mouse-less (turns out the mouse I found lying around my house is a peecee serial mouse, and the plug on the end is the same as the one on the back of the classic). maybe tonite i just will strip the wires and stick em in the little holes.

ps dana, could you hook me up with that link?

Edited by - brokenrobots on 16 Feb 2002 16:07:51Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  23:53:33
quote:

(turns out the mouse I found lying around my house is a peecee serial mouse, and the plug on the end is the same as the one on the back of the classic). maybe tonite i just will strip the wires and stick em in the little holes.

ps dana, could you hook me up with that link?

you're talking about the seral port holes i hope, NOT the adb port holes.

there are drivers to use pc serial mice (if that's what yours is) on macs, the db-9 to din-8 converter from an old palm mac kit would work (might need a gender changer, mine's not available to look), if you've got an extra printer or modem cable you can adapt it with parts from that, pinouts will be available online for the graft or i'll dig out my junk and figure them out if you can't find them and links don't magically appear.

I'd love to see that link too if you still have it available, dana, if not, a list of search parameter suggestions would be a big help.

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  01:49:50
quote:

I'd love to see that link too if you still have it available, dana, if not, a list of search parameter suggestions would be a big help.

I think it was a link I had back on my 8100 - long gone bookmarks :D

I did searches on LCD broken laptop vga adaptor - things like that. Do a few searches on things like that and you usually get ideas on what to search for next. It's not something there is a -lot- of info out there on :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  03:27:26
Just to get you started, try here

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.