All Forums
 68k Hacks
 2nd post isn't bad
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  19:15:35
The creation of this forum reminded me about the project I announced but promptly forgot about: the LC NES. I'll be transplanting an LC III into an NES deck.

The adb port will be where the controller plugs in, with the aid of a short s-video extension cable. Suggestions on how to secure it in place? I was thinking about melting the end of the cord ever so slightly to the NES case, and then liberally applying superglue inside where no one will see.

The HD is going to be tough. I just don't think it will fit, as the disk drive will be situated such that you insert disks in the door where the games go in and there certainly won't be much room between that and the mobo. The power cable, unfortunately, does not come directly from the power supply, and instead is a really really short thing from the mobo, so this poses a problem.

How much heat does an LC III produce? Will ventiliation be an issue in this closed space? I'm thinking heatsink, but a 25mhz 030 might not need it as long as the fan can get SOME air in and out of the front or maybe back of the case. Does the power supply get pretty warm?

Well, leave comments, suggestions, whatever. I'm off to work on it. I hope I can get most of it done, but my girlfriend insists that i go out to dinner. Such demands these women make! Doesn't she understand priorities? Food is nothing! I can eat at 2!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 3, under Firewire's qualifications }
{ My baby: Q660av }

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  22:12:56
quote:

How much heat does an LC III produce? Will ventiliation be an issue in this closed space? I'm thinking heatsink, but a 25mhz 030 might not need it as long as the fan can get SOME air in and out of the front or maybe back of the case. Does the power supply get pretty warm?

Well, as I remember, the NES case is slightly thicker than a pizzabox case, and as long as you have a fan (with plastic cut out so the air can go to the fan , I don't think heat will be an issue...)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  00:10:11
Well, I did a bunch of work on it this evening. It turns out that the problem is not the HD but the power supply. It's too long and the cable is too short to run it length-wise. So, it gets to ride on the outside. It actually looks sort of spiffy this way. It's like a power-pack addition. You know, like with action figures? Come on. Humor me.

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  12:54:15
It sure does!

I'm not really in the mood to solder...

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  12:59:15
quote:

It sure does!

I'm not really in the mood to solder...

i think so 2!
buy crimp connector kit!
jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  13:14:53
Argh, I hate this! Damn the clear key! It erased my post!!

Starting over.

Devastating news, my friends. Well, not so much. Anyway, I bought this LC a while ago (only had to pay shipping!) and never actually turned it on. I had no real need, as my quadras are pretty beefed up and spifftacular. So, imagine my surprise when I inspect the mobo a little closer today, and the processor says: MC68030FE16B. Yes, this LC III turns out to be an LC II. How bothersome. Doesn't even have an FPU. Bleh. Anyone have a spare LC III mobo that they'd pass my way? Maybe I'll head to the trading post. Oh, I wonder if they use the same power supply. Hmm. They might.

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 16 Feb 2002 13:18:24Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  13:42:06
quote:

you don't need the fan

anybody ever see measurements of wattage and btu differentials for 040 copro/nocopro in scientific analysis? can't imagine impact on desktop cooling budget near as dramatic as for laptop power budget. proportional increase shouldn't be as critical condsidering application parameter shift, but my observations have been known to be in error on occasion.

just wondering . . . .
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  14:02:03
quote:

Just btw, BDF = Burnt Dana-Fingers. If I touch it and it feels too hot it needs a heatsink

I like that one, that's catchy, I was trying to figure out what rex's overclocking scale might be, came up with MTTTSE: Mean Time Till The Suckers Explode, which somehow seems appropriate for a guy with more Tandy 1XXX xx experience than myself. =8-}
quote:

(edited to note that this is probably the geekiest post I've made. apologies :D

you have not yet begun to geek! *remind self to inquire regarding effectiveness of JPJ quotation translations etc, into non-american dialects of a language of dubious commonality* *huh?* *whatever!*
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Feb 2002 14:03:20Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  14:16:30
quote:

bonus!

you don't need the fan

:Dana

Well, sure, but for a substantial sacrifice. An LC II is slow!. Remember, I'm used to quadras and iMacs, and my new Q800 is starting to really spoil me...

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  14:22:33
quote:

I like being techygeeky, but sometimes I have this fear of being swept up in the rampaging WAVE of star-trek-anime-manga-first-person-shooter-loving kind of geekhood.

It's not going to happen, but it feels bad thinking about it.

(it disturbs me!)

disturbs me too, what the hell! maybe we should try to plan 68kmla field exercises at the "burning man" gathering this year or next year. that would be quite a geek uber-event to share for the first time as a group, some of us might even survive!

has anybody ever been to "burning man"? i've been curious about it for years.

jt

|-8-}

*returns to edit typo revealing hair loss and decides adding a propellor is more appropriate*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Feb 2002 14:25:01Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  14:22:40
Use hot glue to afix the s vieo extension cable.

Go to Shreve Systems and pay the $25 for 3 Peltier heat sinks. you'll only need one for the LC, and you'll have 2 to play with (or trade with)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  14:32:02
quote:

Use hot glue to afix the s vieo extension cable.

hot glue is wonderful stuff. the suggestion started the old synapses firing and came up with a new twist: i got a ad-sampler mailing of custom fittings made of the goop for coating tool handles, I'll bet it would be great for fabbin' custom wiring grommets and case fittings. home depot has cans in a couple of colors and a pretty good selection of electrical fittings that i have found useful for hacks.

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  06:38:52
Ah, try to get a LC 3 mobo if you ever plan to do more on it than run StuntCopter...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  10:38:47
Yeah, I definitely want to go LC III, but until I come across one, I'll just make the LC II work for fun. It won't be good for much, but it will just be cool to do it.

Power supply update: I decided to try my hand at the soldering, as I have another LC II whose power supply I could steal should this one become unusable through my incompetence. The soldering did, in fact, fail miserably. I think I may have been using the wrong kind of solder - not just anything will stick to copper, will it? I'm using copper wire for the extension, and the solder seemed to stick to the power supply wires but not the copper wire. It may just be my lack of soldering experience, though. It's hard to tell. Anyway, I'm trying it with electrical tape and no solder. We'll see how it turns out. If all hell breaks loose, I've got another complete LC II.

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  11:09:21
quote:

It may just be my lack of soldering experience, though. It's hard to tell. Anyway, I'm trying it with electrical tape and no solder. We'll see how it turns out. If all hell breaks loose, I've got another complete LC II.

crimp connector suggestion was not really a joke! tiny wire nuts from home depot would work just fine too. tape after applying.
jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  12:03:51
quote:

Did the solder have that lovely burnt-electrical-resiny-plastic kind of smell?

if/if not, heed warnings re ventilation and fumes. the little wire coils in the "wire nuts" bite into both wires like wire-wrapo wire bites into posts on chip sockets. crimped connections/heatshrink wrap work for years when exposed to elements in vehicles. disparate sises of wires can cause porblems with solder, cleaning and "tinning" the wires before final soldering sometimes very helpful. personally, i am not an expert with soldering, but very good at de-soldering, ugly soldering doesn't bother me so's'ok by me.
*i rationalize too much, should waffle more maybe*
jt

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  14:54:09
[quote]

crimp connector suggestion was not really a joke! tiny wire nuts from home depot would work jus

{ candyPunk }

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  00:09:49
Hey, where's my post???

{ candyPunk }

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  13:24:52
Well, here's how the post was supposed to come out. Dunno what went wrong there.

quote:

crimp connector suggestion was not really a joke! tiny wire nuts from home depot would work just fine too. tape after applying.
jt
=8-}

It sounds like a fine idea, but I don't want to spend any more money on this than absolutely necessary. I'm sure it wouldn't empty my wallet to buy such a kit, but I'm hoping that the only thing i need to buy is the s-video cable. Hell, I don't even HAVE to buy that. I could cut the end off of an adb cable and affix the wires to an adb port from some mac no one wants. Oh, no, better idea, I have a dead IIgs mobo with an adb port. Ah, dead Classic mobo too! Ok...

quote:

When it comes to the solder sticking, there's a couple of different kinds of solder, some with a resin/flux core which helps it stick - from what I know it's a little acidic - and helps solder stick to bare metal. Some solders don't have this and you need to flux manually...

Flux flux flux! Way to go, me. Smart one. Yeah, didn't use flux. It was sitting right there, too! Oh well, the taping is all done with anyway. Once I finish chopping up the case with a hacksaw, I'll set everything in an fire it up. Hopefully, no fires or explosions will be lying in wait, but hey, I've got another LC II! Man, this hacksaw business is no fun, you know that? Where are you when I need you, dremel saw?? Wish I had access to one. Well, back to the cutting board.

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:12:44
quote:

Man, this hacksaw business is no fun, you know that? Where are you when I need you, dremel saw?? Wish I had access to one. Well, back to the cutting board.

personal favorite is actually a double sided japanese pull saw called a "ryoba" VERY cool, works great on plastics, i think that there are small inexpensive ones available now. very flexible, great for flush cuts and has a rip pattern and crosscut pattern very little set to the teeth and deep gullets between for chip clearing. i'll see if i can find one to recommend for the hacker's field kit. if you have access to a power drill or a drill press, a flexible shaft attachment would be a good low budget dremel-emu. just be sure to wear protective eyewear and keep all digital accessories attached to appendages.

btw. the crimp kits are very cheap at flea markets and i've even seen little ones in 99 cent stores, don't run out to get one, just be on the lookout for great deals on useful tools, most of what you'll need for hacks doesn't have to be close to top quality, but the cheapest stuff is often useless *lol, sounds kinda like computer gear*.

if anybody has any hardware (home depot variety) or tool questions, feel free to ask. got just a "little" experience in that area: metalwork, woodwork, plastics, furniture making, displays, thru pcb etching and layout, i'd be glad to help with advice if i can and i'm not afraid to say i dunno when i can't.

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.