All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 Unix without a FPU
Author Topic  
Greg Hunt
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  19:47:36
I have a IIsi without the ethernet card, which means that I dont have a FPU as is it not built in with the processor. Is there any type of Unix/Linux that I can use with it? I really want to run A/UX, but I don't want to buy the card as all the computer stores around here are way over priced.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  21:24:07
BSD might work, but it wouldprobably be slow. I know that A/UX will not work. (it hasn't for me, at least.)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  23:52:04
The netbsd pages claim that it will run on a 68030 without a math coprocessor. I have run it on an SE/30 and IIci, and the speed is fine for the CLI. The speed is acceptable for X11. This was around version 1.3/1.4.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  01:32:59
It just seems that it might be slow without a math copro, I know that it doesn'tmake much difference in OS6/7 unless you have like, an av studio set up or something, but unix likes those sorts of things (FPUs, that is)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Greg Hunt
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  14:43:54
What about some type of Unix for the Mac Plus? It is running System 6 and only has 1mb of ram.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  16:24:41
quote:

What about some type of Unix for the Mac Plus? It is running System 6 and only has 1mb of ram.

AFAIK, Minix is the only free Unix which will run on a 16 bit processor. A version is available for the Macintosh, it should run under System 6, though 1 MB may not be enough RAM.

As for the math coprocessor issue: this is probably a compiler issue. The compiler assumes that an FPU exists, so it will use it for any single or double precision arithmetic. Yes, this means that an FPU has to be emulated if you don't have it and that will slow things down. OTOH, I don't see why it would make a big difference since I don't see why most Unix software is math intensive (at least WRT floats). But I could be wrong on the speed issue, as I prefer systems with lots of RAM and an FPU.

Edited by - macto on 29 Dec 2003 16:27:10Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.