68k Hacks
 3400c->190c: 68k PB w/CD?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  08:12:38
I wonder if adapting the lower case plastics and CD would be a problem, I've never seen one, is it really like the 190/5300?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a hack like this?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  22:13:57
AFAIK, it should be possible to just insert a PB3400 CD-ROM into a 190 and have it work without any modification, right?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  03:27:22
the 190 and 5300 are muuch smaller than the 3400/Kanga aren't they?

(Remember, the 3400 has a much larger screen, and the *subwoofer* the 190 and 5300 didn't have room for that stuff )

Other than that, I'm sure that it'd be possible to do something... It'd be interesting to see how they do compare in size, maybe to see if the difference in size isn't really that great, (iff'n the 190 only has like, one bay or something, vs. a 3400 having dual bays... in which case I can see something good happening

Of course, it would be interesting to see a Duo-like "bottom attachment" for the 190, maybe a right angle scsi adaptor and some well-placed magnets or something(like velcro), then, you'd have much room for extra stuff.

Another idea, would be to extend the entire body of the 190cs, and see if you couldn't add in a 3400 style drivebay as well as some "extra batteries" or something down there. It would be huge, and hot, and heavy, and probably awkward, but you'd have an ÜberCD-PowerBook (It'd have to be a PowerBook 300 series ) with a very long battery life.

Of course, I have no idea how you'd go about interfacing some of that stuff, unless you could solder some stuff to the motherboard, or take an expansion bay connector a bit farther down the line, into the new section of the case.

Unless, of course, ML5 is right, and the 190 and the 3400 are similar in size, and you can just pop the cd drive in there no problemo.

I, of course, have never seen a 190 or 5300 or 3400 in real life before, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.

(I think someone named cory needs some sleep, to go off rambling like that)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  15:36:54
quote:

I wonder if adapting the lower case plastics and CD would be a problem, I've never seen one, is it really like the 190/5300?

I just measured a 190cs and the results are not promising. The removable floppy drive sits in a slot that is just under 4.25" wide and a CD disk is nearly 4.75" wide ( I assume a CD drive would be a bit larger). Unless one expanded the entire base of the 190, a CD drive would not fit into that area.

You could, however, add an expansion bay underneath. This would raise the back of the 190 to a nice jaunty angle and provide room for a second battery and CD drive. The combo would be a bit thick, but would provide the added functionality.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  18:09:13
quote:

I just measured a 190cs and the results are not promising. The removable floppy drive sits in a slot that is just under 4.25" wide and a CD disk is nearly 4.75" wide ( I assume a CD drive would be a bit larger). Unless one expanded the entire base of the 190, a CD drive would not fit into that area.

I posted this hack notion before checking the measurements and comparing exploded diagrams in the Service Manuals . . .

Be that as it may . . . . . . . I wound up thinking about "de-celling" the battery, rearranging the same cells or slightly smaller, more powerful, more modern replacement cells as a permanent installation so that the CD could be moved forward into the battery bay.

But now I'm off on another tangent . . . a trackball hack of the newly resurrected "for parts" 190cs

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Dec 2003 18:09:35Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.