All Forums
 Lounge
 Best ISP?
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  12:09:00
I want everyone's opinion on this, so I'm posting it here. What is the cheapest ISP with the best support for OS X, Linux , and the classic Mac OS? I want to switch ISP's (I am currently using AOL ) and want a real, cheaper ISP.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  12:29:38
I'm assuming you mean dial-up ISP's, correct?

My favorite would be Earthlink. Lots of access numbers, easy TCP/IP configuration, broad OS support, good tech support. $22 a month, unlimited.

Otherwise...

AppleISP is another good choice. They don't have as many access #'s as Earthlink, but are growing rapidly. Broad OS support, however, I have no experience with their texaport. $15 a month, unlimited.

Both companies only tech-support OS 8 and above, however, that doesn't mean you can't connect to them using 7.x (because you can), they just won't help you do it.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 15 Feb 2002 12:30:37Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  13:23:55
quote:

Yes.
I was considering those two, but does AppleISP support Windows and Linux?
Oh, and my location is a factor, too: I live in Brooklyn, NY. Maybe someone can point me to a good local ISP?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  13:50:19
AppleISP will work on Windoze, as you merely have to setup a DUN connectoid. As far as I know, it should work in Linux as well. There's no reason why it wouldn't...

Also, they have 3 POP's in the 212, which should cover Brooklyn.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  13:51:56
quote:

quote:

Yes.
I was considering those two, but does AppleISP support Windows and Linux?
Oh, and my location is a factor, too: I live in Brooklyn, NY. Maybe someone can point me to a good local ISP?

I'm happy with verizon online dsl, slow-poke version is about $50 a month with no message units involved, for business lines this is probably less expensove than the dialups, dunno how they charge for residential connections, should check, if you're online a lot, it MIGHT be cheaper to do it faster, prob'ly is for me, and it doesn't tie up a phone line which might be GREAT for a residential setup.

clueless on the hudson,
jt
bx/riverdale, ny

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  13:55:19
quote:

As far as I know, it should work in Linux as well. There's no reason why it wouldn't...

ISP's should only need a very few settings now to work with most OS's. the user/pass, and dialin number - if your OS supports ummm CHAP I think it is - thats about all you need to make a connection. Near all I've used send DNS's, IP's and the rest automagically :D. One spot where some kind of standard worked itself out for the good of usertypes.

Thats for dialup - the proprietary silliness that goes on here with cable stuff is a bit daft.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  14:35:09
Thanks for the all the info. I can't afford DSL or Cable right now, so I'm sticking to dialup. AppleISP looks pretty cool, though they really do not have any numbers in Brooklyn.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  14:46:15
quote:

Thanks for the all the info. I can't afford DSL or Cable right now, so I'm sticking to dialup.

been waiting for that! point is that dsl might cost less under silly verizon billing scheme, if your dialup isp charges and your phone call message units per month add up to more than the flat fee without connect time verizon charges for dsl, you will be paying more overall, but if parents are paying basic charges and don't catch on, you yourself will be paying less (just isp fee). if you start dialing up an isp in 212 local phone bills will skyrocket and parents will catch on very quickly indeed.

It all depends on the billing/use structure and whose money you are trying to save, dunno, just wanted to give you insight into quirky local phenomenon regarding total costs. (even though it was not directly answering your main question, I inferred from your money concern that you would probably be smart to look into total costs as opposed to isp charges alone).

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Feb 2002 14:46:42

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Feb 2002 14:48:35Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  21:50:18
quote:

slow-poke version is about $50 a month with no message units involved

Hmm, slow DSL - isn't that an oxymoron? Exactly how slow is it?

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  22:13:48
quote:

quote:

slow-poke version is about $50 a month with no message units involved

Hmm, slow DSL - isn't that an oxymoron? Exactly how slow is it?

telstra telstra telstra!

dana :D

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  19:31:43
quote:

been waiting for that! point is that dsl might cost less under silly verizon billing scheme, if your dialup isp charges and your phone call message units per month add up to more than the flat fee without connect time verizon charges for dsl, you will be paying more overall, but if parents are paying basic charges and don't catch on, you yourself will be paying less (just isp fee). if you start dialing up an isp in 212 local phone bills will skyrocket and parents will catch on very quickly indeed.

It all depends on the billing/use structure and whose money you are trying to save, dunno, just wanted to give you insight into quirky local phenomenon regarding total costs. (even though it was not directly answering your main question, I inferred from your money concern that you would probably be smart to look into total costs as opposed to isp charges alone).

I've been thinking about that....what's $15 a month + phone bills compared to a flat rate of $50 + faster download speeds? I spend a few hopurs a week online, It may be worth it to just get DSL.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  23:23:49
quote:

I've been thinking about that....what's $15 a month + phone bills compared to a flat rate of $50 + faster download speeds? I spend a few hopurs a week online, It may be worth it to just get DSL.

the speed is nice, but the cost is what i was talking about, find out exactly what the billing structure is for residential use and where your calls would need to be paced. i don't know, i lucked into what might have been a very cost effective solution for my shop, and have not felt the need to do an anaysis, run the numbers for your home and see before making a decision.
jt

p.s. let the others know how fast the low end dsl connection is, i really don't know, aol bombed my new g-4 one too many times and i made the change out of aggravation more than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.