68k Software
 Your favourite 68k software...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  08:54:56
Alright - Dana is bored and it's friday night here again, soooo....

on with the next favourite-thing-question *grin*

What's the 68k software you really find excellent?. It might be an older version of a current app that you use and find quicker on the older systems than the newer... or something rather unique, perhaps software that was only released on the 68k's. Anything will do from games, productivity stuff, utilities... cover all bases :).

I'll start with mine
The OS's themselves - mostly late 7's and 8.1, but also Debian linux. It's lovely, and can be set for no overhead, and still do completely new useful stuff.

MS Word 5 - the oldie! It's quick n nasty, but I don't find it all that bad. It's the only MS Office product I use!

Claris Organizer - I don't use this so much anymore, mostly as I dropped out of the habit when I only had linux 68k's next to my imac. It's simple though, and served me well

Tetris - the real one!. good for a quick run

Photoshop 4 - For some reason, my quicktake camera creates images that can only be read with Photoshop running on a machine with 68k quicktime... (something like that anyhoo). It's Grate!

Ircle - what a buzz, using almost the same versions of a brand new prog on the OSX imac, and on a 540c 68k :D

Anagrams - OK I use this on the imac cos of processing speed, but it's an exxy old one.

So. I'm simple - nothing too complex there - I imagine I'll get a lot of responses telling me of other wordprocessors I should be using too *grin*

dana

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  09:54:01
I vote for MS Word 5.1, as well. It loads like TeachText next to the sloth-like Word 98 on my 7500.

Photoshop 4 gets a vote again, as even though it doesn't have the advanced text editing and infinite undos of PS6, it's much faster and can still render lighting effects and textures very easily.

Premiere 4.2 is another great app, as it offers profession video editing on 68k's and supports a huge list of Nubus and PCI video capture cards that have been purged from Premiere 6, etc.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  10:10:18
My favorites would have to be:
Clarisworks 4
Codewarrior 1.0
Tetris
Applescript
and of course, the Monkey Island games.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  10:22:02
quote:

So. I'm simple - nothing too complex there - I imagine I'll get a lot of responses telling me of other wordprocessors I should be using too *grin*

in penn-dutch country, simple is quite a compliment, but you'r a LITTLE to techno-geeky for their tastes, not sure of any way the term accurately applies to you either ;-)

now cine', on the other hand . . . . .
* . . . now what was i . . . saying? . . ! . oh yeah! *
WORD!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
I'd rather run clarisworks on a freakin' wintel box!
*course I've never actually USED Word or any MordorSoft apps I didn't absolutely HAVE to, just on general principals.*
jt

p.s. I liked organizer enough that when my favorite app bit the dust (spreadsheat interface . . . I'll plug name in later), I looked for an upgrade and it turned out to be Palm Desktop. Must've run it for over three years before I finally broke down and ponied up the money for a digital suppository * my pet name for the first newton, no apps, illiterate, might as well just shov . . . * thank heaven I waited for that springboard thingie! * and it's a LOT smaller than a newton!!! but with the eyemodule it's pretty useful: moot point*

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  10:29:34
It's pretty useful. I was able to write a simple calculator on it using the if/else structure (I tried case/switch, but that didn't work). The only problem is that it is slow to compile. Defifnitely worth downloading if you want to practice C/C++.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  10:57:04
quote:

Thats the idea - practice in a mac environment. I'm curious now, how it would compare to g/g++ under debian...

Well, for one thing, CW probably has a better IDE .

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  11:03:40
quote:

I was waiting for that!.

ino! *griiinnnnnnnssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!*

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  12:01:41
quote:

Platinum and 80x24 - the two best!

I'm partial to platinum with a desktop shot of the C64 command line trying to load the MAC OS, that I snitched from one of these MOSS packages.

http://www.ResExcellence.com/user_indexes/user_moss_45.shtml
http://www.ResExcellence.com/user_indexes/user_moss_44.shtml

I like the jolly roger 1 2.

There were times that I really missed the dos command line, the utility of wildcards most of all (still are, maybe it'll all wind up in aqua eventually), if I could have a patch for sherlock for dos wildcard/extension functionality and the command key structure for EVERY menu command of win 3.x, I'd be hard pressed to find a fault with platinum.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  12:43:23
quote:

I like the wildcards too - but it seems they've pretty much disappeared even from search engines.

*aaaaaarrrggghhh!!*
*ok, that's just a bit better*
one just has to wonder why?
*tries to keep an even tone in his ,txt*
you just gotta wonder about things like that.
*not really, but . . . . . . .*
I'll never forgive the completely and utterly simplistic fool, who decided that "save as" was somehow faster/better with a mouse click!
*him/her and their moronic sib who decided that a gui could be described as intuitive*
unfortunately, gui design is still done by persons with too much computer experience,
*morons! a freakin' baby is born with the instincts to suck on anything that comes anywhere near its face, but the baby and the mother both have to learn to operate a nipple! if that ain't "intuitive" i never wanna hear that imbesilic marketing buffoon's pablum again as long as i freakin' live!*
it really is a shame, you know!

ciao,
jt

*whew . .wipes brow . . . . . good thing i got through that one without ranting! ;-) are you happy now ...... gd..******* ..fish!....*

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  13:08:04
quote:

Lots easier to hit than if you had to click on the word itself, no further up - just like windows menus. (which I don't go much for. I feel 'on edge' when I use them, mainly cos they're so much more tedious to try clicking on).

None of that is intuitive to an interface designer - it all needs a lot of hard work, to make your interface more compatible with the nature of people.

with windows menus, i rarely ever need to point with the desk rodent! when i was involved with mymug, another of the volunteers had a son who went off to work at ilm. she got a kick out of the fact that the mac types who graduated to unix workstations ended up being command key maniacs! but that's "probably" not a very representive sampling of users. I just hate it when a great gui is dragged down to the highsest acceptable level of mediocrity and frozen there without recourse for more adept users.

hey, maniac, what freakin' time is it down there? you nappin'tween posts?

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  13:44:24
quote:

quote:

hey, maniac, what freakin' time is it down there? you nappin'tween posts?

I woke up a LITTLE late yesterday - like around 10:30pm . it's 7:10am by my lil clock

*aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!*
ok, the guy who put cmd-Q & cmd-W next to each other has just popped back to the top of the stack in the "better off dead cache"! I just blew out another entire posting! * *********** . . . . ********* . . *
anyway, i can't figure out what time zone * 'm not the onliest one either * you're in. thought it was 16 hours then yesterday looked like 14 hours, today seems lik back to 16 hours differentioal again. Were you awake for postings . . . .ummmmmmm . . . . errr . .hmm . .! . . about 29 hours ago? *shakes head and wonders if he's awake now! SHADDUP! throws empty cellphone case at chintzy plastic aquarium* i'm totally lost!
jt
=8-}
*thanks lucky stars that it's not his macs talking to him like poor cine', wouldn't want to threaten their cute little plastic hides!*

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  14:02:43
quote:

oh ack 29 hours is going to need me to do this maths thing

um.
7am now

24 hours ago was 7am on friday

5 hours before that was 2am friday

oh yes - definitely was here :)

this thread sounds like the guy adding up all the money he'd save by not having a valentine in that clip! I just decided that i'm not awake now because i . . . . . . . . well i'd probably need to be awake to figu........
jt

*just woke up a little bit cuz i just passed ~coxy in the standings on this post, even without that idiot alcoa's help!*

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  14:28:27
quote:

200 for me! wheee!

yiiiipppppiiiiiiieeeeeee!

*breaks ou champag . . . . . whatever, no bubbly handy, celebrates anyway!*

way to go, danamaniacarana!
congrats,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  14:59:24
quote:

dana (we are obsessed, we are...)

nah! what makes you say that?
jt

p.s. on which side of aus is u located? thought you were on western side from post yesterday (nyc+14 hrs.) r u on east side and were you fudging to give ftd truck longer to arrive? (nyc+16 hours as originally thought from prev. time zone info)

confused person here: some time zone somewhere, nyc, albania, wherever,whenever!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  15:02:51
quote:

quote:

dana (we are obsessed, we are...)

nah! what makes you say that?
jt

p.s. on which side of aus is u located? thought you were on western side from post yesterday (nyc+14 hrs.) r u on east side and were you fudging to give ftd truck longer to arrive? (nyc+16 hours as originally thought from prev. time zone info)

confused person here: some time zone somewhere, nyc, albania, wherever . . . . . . . whenever . .!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  15:50:47
quote:

cos I is one of we.

'kay, u say so . . . . . . *wonders why he thought he was confused before, everything is s clear now . . . . hey! . . . retrieves empty cell phone case and assorted projectiles from vicinity of plastic fish temporary home . . . . behave! . . . wonders if mousie is this annoying?*
quote:

oooh yes!. I remember now. uh-huh. as it was still valentines day in western australia at my 2am... I was still able to wait... validly. Give people time y'know. *grin*. I'm on the eastern side, not too far from Sydney.

when it's midday or midnight your time, it's 4am or 4pm my time :). (thats for NYC...)

*hears starting measures of "i can see clearly no . . . ." . . . picks up projec . . concedes defeat . . . tells fish they've got him this time, and tells them to remind him to parse this message at a later date*
'kay, that's what i thought! * talk about a "whopper"! sheesh! maybe it makes sense . . . . . . . . . . . .? . . . ?? . ! . yer right, fish, don't make silly assumptions, this is the maniac we're deali . . . . *
thx 4 clearing that up, i thought i was cra . . . .er . ? . I. . mistaken!
check si . . . . *or is it 12 on that side of equator . . . . . could be three or 9 considering dateline corrections . . hmm . . ? ? . !!!!*
watch your tail, maniac!
jt

p.s. CHEATER!

p.p.s. editing/proofreading gibberish is much too difficult!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Feb 2002 15:59:49Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  17:16:00
My favorite 68K software:

Clairsworks 4. I still use it even under 9 as my main word processor becuse it works, and it takes up practically no ram or hard drive space

Photoshop 3. Again I still use it under 9 becuse it works and it is fast and does not take up much ram.

Resedit. The software hacking program made by Apple. It does not get any better than that.

OS 8.1 . In my opinion, the pinnacle of operating system design. It has everything I need, without all the bloat and buggy crap that 9 has. It is also rock solid, at least for me, I have gone for months without having to reset from a crash under 8.1 but I get four to five crashes a day on all my 9 machines.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2002 :  17:55:10
My favourite software:

Mac OS 8.1 - Highly reccommended for any '040 with 20 megs of ram or more

System 7.1 - Good "retro" OS

ClarisWorks Office 5 - Has the features of AW5, but was made before Claris split up

MpegDec - self-explanatory

ResEdit - Self explanatory

Norton Utils 3.1 - This has saved the day too many times to count.

TechTool Pro 3 - Glad to see someone still supports the 68k...

All the old games - self explanatory

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  06:18:57
CWO 4 is on every machine that's in use, even my 7200!
Classic games:
SC 2K
Crystal Quest
StuntCopter
EV

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.