Lounge
 Better network setup
Author Topic  
Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2003 :  16:31:16
I want to find a better way of networking my machines. At the moment I have
1x G4Cube 1x FP-iMac 1x PC and 1 laser printer all in regular use and use DHCP to network them all with dynamic IP's, however because I only have a couple of ethernet cables and no hubs at the moment (waiting to pick up a cheap airport base station) I have to keep connecting and disconnecting each machine.

Can I give each machine a fixed IP and still use DHCP for any additional machines? I'd still like to give out dynamic IPs for the 68k's and friends machines when they come on the network.

And I know I should probably buy a cheap ethernet hub until I get the base station but I can't really be bothered unless anyone can convince me it's worth it for a month or so!

--------
Apple ][e. Apple ][gs, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (300 603ev) 2*6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), G4 Cube

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  05:18:28
quote:

I want to find a better way of networking my machines. At the moment I have
1x G4Cube 1x FP-iMac 1x PC and 1 laser printer all in regular use and use DHCP to network them all with dynamic IP's, however because I only have a couple of ethernet cables and no hubs at the moment (waiting to pick up a cheap airport base station) I have to keep connecting and disconnecting each machine.

Can I give each machine a fixed IP and still use DHCP for any additional machines? I'd still like to give out dynamic IPs for the 68k's and friends machines when they come on the network.

Yes, just make sure you allocate them IP's outside of the range that DHCP dishes out. Several of my machines are setup like this because:

a) they don't support DHCP (eg my Risc PC) or..
b) when I host stuff on a machine, and I want the IP to always be the same (to reflect my virtual server settings in my router)

HTH

Jobf.Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  07:46:36
I have my network very much set up like this, although with a bit more machines, and a router, and several hubs, and, etc.

I have some of the machines set to static IPs, and they are within the DHCP range. For this to work though, my router designates that those IPs are "excluded" from the DHCP pool. I dunno if that will work for you, but thought I'd suggest it

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  11:20:51
Yeah. If your DHCP server doesn't support that, then just make a few pools around the address ranges you want to reserve for static IPs.

Jobf: What kind of router are you using?

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2
Beige G3/266 ATX Tower

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 24 Dec 2003 11:21:58Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  15:33:00
That's all well and good but how do I know what range of IP addresses my Cube is giving out? how do I create another pool?

I think part of the problem at the moment is this. My girlfriend and I use internet connection sharing as much as possible but if she is home before me she connects first and her machine becomes the server, where as if I connect first I am the server.

Does the airport base station hand out IP addresses? as effectively it would be the only thing that is on 100% of the time, the iMac and Cube get turned off every couple of days. I think the problem is the "layout" of the network keeps changing and this is why I thought using some fixed IP addresses would help things.

Would I be better getting a router or something? I don't mind going with a non apple wireless setup but it seems to be the only one with a built in 56k modem and we're going to be stuck with dial up for a long time!

--------
Apple ][e. Apple ][gs, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (300 603ev) 2*6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  15:50:20

quote:
Jobf: What kind of router are you using?

I'm using the PT-3812. Much better to use than using another computer IMO. Dead easy to setup and the prices have come right down. Seen at this site:
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/etec.htm

I've also got a 16port Kingston EtheRx coming off this.

Jobf.

http://jobf.kicks-ass.orgGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  16:04:30
Oh, okay.

Gothikon:

I really hate it when I'm near the end of a 5 paragraph post and the computer freezes.

It depends on what MacOS you're using. For classic, which I'm not sure if it even supports ICS, you can't set up any address pools. OSX, I don't know because I haven't used it enough.

To do the DHCP right, though you will need something that is going to be on all the time, like another computer. The only thing about that is that it will collect horrendous amounts of dust because it's on 24/7, which means that you will need to clean it out every 2 months or so. Either that or you want to find something without a fan. Odds are you base station isn't a DHCP server unless it's a wireless router. It sounds like a wireless router is what you need since you're using all this wireless stuff, like the one Jobf has. Try checking eBay or something.

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 24 Dec 2003 16:06:05Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  16:13:00
 And if you decide to go non-Apple, you shouldn't have a problem. This of coarse depends on how the device is configured. If it comes with a PC style serial cable for the dongle port or has some PC-based configuration software, then you'll still be alright as long as you have a PC to do the configuration with. Probably anything that will run Windows 98. It will do everything else just fine because the DHCP, NAT, routing and stuff are all platform independent.Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  18:18:52
Your mac is probably set to dish out IPs in the 192.168.2.x or 192.168.1.x reigon, I know that that's what most consumer routing products do

I would suggest having an older mac with loads of network cards, or getting an old hub or router for your network

Also, I have static ip addresses set within my DHCP range all the time, I also never set them as excluded, ohwell (I also only ever really have four computers on at a time, at most )

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  18:42:39
That would be fine most of the time, except one day you'll turn one of them on and get an IP address conflict.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.