68k Hacks
 Case mod musings . . .
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  14:28:00
Has anybody ever noticed resemblences between the cases of the LaserWriter II . . . a paper tray . . . a Duo . . . and a Mac IIfx?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  14:52:51
quote:
Has anybody ever noticed resemblences between the cases of the LaserWriter II . . . a paper tray . . . a Duo . . . and a Mac IIfx?

Besides that 75% of them are beige?

You are beginning to scare me, jt.

Speaking of Macs'n'printers and hacks, I had thought about creating an Imagetyper LC - merging an Imagerwriter 1 on top of a monitor-less LC III and using hypercard to send print commands to the printer over the serial port. It would work just like a typewriter - you hit a key and it prints that character where ever the printhead happens to be.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  15:03:31
quote:

quote:

Besides that 75% of them are beige?

Spray paint is the great equilizer . . . and it hides the bondo!

quote:

You are beginning to scare me, jt.

quote:

I had thought about creating an Imagetyper LC - merging an Imagerwriter 1 on top of a monitor-less LC III and using hypercard to send print commands to the printer over the serial port. It would work just like a typewriter - you hit a key and it prints that character where ever the printhead happens to be.

I think there's an old shareware program that does that!

I've had that kind of thing simmering on a back burner too! You should graft on an SE or SE/30, use a Thunderscan, a Voice/Data/Fax Modem and and Ethernet card/bridge software to create the PaleolithicPaladin+

jt .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Dec 2003 15:04:46Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  15:30:41
quote:

So, are you thinking of docking the Duo where the paper tray is? ( a kind of LaserDuoDock) Or are you thinking of a docking/sync station that merges a Duo and IIfx into the case of a LaserWriter and runs the IIfx off the Duo HD for the ultimate file-synced desktop/portable combo? (the Duo-IIf-Duo)

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  15:41:11
I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully, it'll wind up being a Macintosh IIfPEx. Right now it's just a transplanted 7500 sitting in yet another IIfx case, suffering from delusions of grandeur!

The case hack is coming along nicely, I have two lids, one duct taped upside down to a center section with its base lopped off and all the RFI shielding still fits and is installed. It'll be set up vertically, either on wheels or on feetlets like a Quadra 700 with a sideways logo.

I've just gotta figure out if I need to add a drive bay's worth of height! (width)

The printer-parts tangent is just daydreaming . . .

jt .

* hums: oo-oo-oop-s there goes a-no-ther-no-ther Mac-Stack!*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Dec 2003 15:44:02Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  00:08:15
I came up with some oddball offshoots of the case mod I'm doing, here's a link to the Illustrator studies I did from an illustration in the service manual pdf.

Macintosh_IIfPEx.pdf 48k

Even though it's going to be really tight getting a laptop slotloader in there over the processor card, I like it the way it is now . . . but adding a slice of LaserWriter II with those four drive access LEDs and several extra bays is very tempting!

Comments?

jt .

edit: Updated the file, I realized I can put the Optical Drive under the FDD/Zip bays because there's only RAM on that spot of the board! and I'm definitely going to hack in that strip of LED windows and a backlit logo!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Dec 2003 01:38:20Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  16:27:56
quote:

I came up with some oddball offshoots of the case mod I'm doing, here's a link to the Illustrator studies I did from an illustration in the service manual pdf.

Macintosh_IIfPEx.pdf 48k

Comments?

The pdf file appears to be corrupt - can't open it with Adobe Reader or Preview in OS X.

M

No rank

Current king of my 68k realm:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, custom silver case, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 128/2G/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.