All Forums
 Lounge
 Speed Demon iMac!
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  08:19:06
Wow. All I can say is what a vast improvement.

I booted with the OS 9.1 G$ PowerBook CD (The only CD I have that boots my iMac into Classic) and formatted the drive and selected "zero all data" and waited and waited.....*6 months later* and waiting and waiting. j/k It took about 3 hours or so.

So the hard disk is 100% zeroes and I installed Classic and OS X, and now my machine is a speed demon, I can't believe how fast it is. I've never had it this fast.

I just got my second wind.

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  15:36:54
Why would zeroing the hard drive make it faster?

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2
Beige G3/266 ATX Tower

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  17:27:16
Fresh clean slate all zeros. Typically when users erase hard disks, the data isn't gone, merely ignored. Then new data is overwritten. A bit messier yes, but I prefer the fresh installs, less chance of fragmentation.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  18:15:20
lol, I wonder if I should/could try that on my iMac at my grandpa's house

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  19:11:30
As long as you backup everything on the disk it's safe. I used Mac OS 9 CD because I know it's Disk Setup has the option to zero all data, unsure if the OS X version does or not.

You will notice a speed bump though, it's faster. Although you can defrag a hard disk, I don't like to as the last time I did, it corrupted my Quake 3 Install..so I was worried about other files as well.

There is an article online as well how you can hack Mac OS X to use a dedicated swap partition as well which increases speed as well since the partition is located on the outer disk tracks and never changes. (Outer disc tracks are larger in size, hence one revolution can provide more access to data then the inner circles of the drive which require more spins to locate data due to narrowing size of the plates) This hack also reduces fragmentation of the swap files.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  19:22:04
heh, I might just do that, if/when i can go to granpa's house, I'll back up the iMac and try it with my panther install CDs.

I'm not sure how fast panther'll go though, so I might have to end up putting Jaggie back on there

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  16:09:25
Shouldn't really make a difference as long as disk is reformatted, but if you want to take the time.

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 19 Dec 2003 16:10:12Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  16:35:40
Whoa -- zeroing all data has no effect on performance compared with a regular, quick-n-dirty reformat. Once the OS sees the disk as empty, it writes new data overtop of it. And whether it's all zeros or a random mix of ones and zeros is completely irrelevant for performance.

The reason for the improved performance is that a clean installation on a reformatted drive puts all the files -- in particular, often-accessed System-related files -- in one place, at the "beginning" of the hard drive. This increases performance (a) because the files are closest to the drive head, and (b) because the files are all close to each other.

So what you've really done is defragment the drive, and the files on it.

You can accomplish the same thing by using a defragger, or more simply by doing a regular, two-second reformat followed by a reinstall of the OS. In fact, to make it even quicker, you can copy the existing System Folder to another HD, reformat the primary HD, and then just copy the System Folder back onto the primary HD. All the files will now be defragmented and clustered together.

M

No rank

Current king of my 68k realm:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, custom silver case, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 128/2G/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  16:50:07
Defrag tools are messy. I like precision. I like the thought of all zeroes, plus any sensitive data is a litle more obscure too. :)

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  20:04:55
I prefer to zero the drive when ever possible. I have ran into times where something gets left in the boot sector and screws with things. It takes a little longer but it is better than chasing ghosts.

--Eric

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  22:12:12
Humm… I try to avoid all of this
[Im afraid my stupid old HDs will die… which makes me think I ought to back up again… but our stupid copy of retrospect is too old to see ATA CD burners]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  10:28:31
Avoiding having to zero a hard drive, by just having to replace it? that's weird

Y'all are talking about defrag programs, but what defrag program even exists for MacOS and MacOS X? I have heard and seen of none that are free, like MS' defrag program with windows.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  11:43:50
Norton System Works 3 does defrag and it's not free.

Norton: "You say we did a poor job defragging your system?"

Bruce Willis: "No, I said you did a piss poor job. You got your engine all backwards. Let me guess your corrupting data and can't figure out why? That's because your brains are all wrong Mr. Wizard."

;-) Like I said, it's a piss poor job of defraging.

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  15:01:50
I've heard that *NIX doesn't really defrag too good. It's better to just reformat/restore.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.