All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Painted PowerBook 5300CS
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  18:30:26
The inspiration for this was after I saw my friend's official Acer "Ferrari" laptop. It's complete with the Ferrari red car paint and logos, and is an official Ferrari product. I have a few pictures, although poor quality.

So, my PB 5300CS is a rough machine....why not lift it's visual appeal by adding some colour?

First on the list is to purchase the right tools to dissasemble the machine carefully. Anyone have a complete list of tools required? (What bits, sizes etc.)

Second, after I have removed the plastic chasis, I can then apply the red coat of paint. I want it to be a dark rich red paint. After the coat is well done I let it dru for a few days and cure, then coat it with glaze.

Once that is done the machine can be re-assembled.

The final part is adding the new logos. To design the new logos, I took green tape and did a funky zig zag "P" and "B", and whatever space is left in the open, this becomes the logo.

If my local Apple Authorized Dealer has some stickers, I will use the sticker's outline to create the actual Apple logo. (The stickers have 2 sticky parts, one is the actual sticker, 2 is the outside lining which creates it to be a square for shipping, printing and cutting sheets) I can apply the sticker lining to the outside or inside wherever I want a good nice Apple logo and spray it on.

I have the money to get the paint and money wise getting the tools is small. The only issue I have is a place to do the painting. We have an underground stall for parking I can use, as long as the parts can be touchable within a reasonable amount of time. (It can cure inside/outside the patio as long as it doesn't smell too bad)

I'm painting the Battery, Floppy Drive, Case Chasis, and anything else required.

The small differnece is that the inside chasis where the screen is..the top bars will be red, but what color should the vertical section be? (Where contrast controls etc are, which btw will be contrasting colors) Should it be white, silver, blue? Or should I make the powerbook blue with white vertical stripes? (The dividing point is the design's horizontal etch points, just above and below the screen) I also think the trackpad clicker should be a different color, but the same as the unique vertical bars. I'm leaving the kayboard keys as-is, not enough time or skill to paint them and re-apply symbols. I might just give the keys a quick gloss paint to make them more presentable.

The back sticker with copyrights and FCC ID can be removed and re-glued on later using crazyglue. The Serial Number will have to be written down, and I will at a later time get a stencil set and paint the serial number in. (or print up a new sticky label)

Please give ideas. I'm going to head to hardware store tomorow to purchase some stuff, but I will wait later to hear of what people suggest.

(btw, I'm also thinking of giving my Quadra 605 a paint job. I have a can of Forest Green paint.. add a little gloss after, makes for a fine machine. )

`BoJ

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  02:31:08
Well, I have all my tools and all the paint I need. I was in the middle of taking the powerbook apart when I had to step outside to meet someone. While I was gone someone in the house swiped my tool set! Argghhh..I only just bought it and brought it home..leaving my poor 5300CS in partial pieces on the floor.

Anyways, time to find out who "borrowed" my tools so I can finish this hack. I got the red and white paint and gloss for it.

:)

Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  03:03:40
I've taken apart a PB5300 completely with just a Torx T-8 and a small flat blade screw driver. All the screws, including the ones holding down the external video board are T-8. The small flat blade is to help undo the cable clamps that the fingers have hard time reaching.

I guess that's all you need to swipe back from whoever borrowed your tools, in order to continue working on your 5300

Hopefully, you haven't encountered any cracked plastics, especially near the LCD display hinges. 5300s are notorious for that...

----
Liberated Portables & Powerbooks:
M5120 M5126 M1506 M5409 M4990 M7940 M7777(2) M4880(2)
Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  16:51:07
Mine was through Apple's warranty service, it's all fixed and in good shape.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.