All Forums
 Lounge
 Where's all the spam?
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  19:10:03
I just noticed that the usually never-ending cascade of spam into my hotmail account suddenly seems to have slowed to a trickle. Just 2 spams in the last 2 days... WOWSER! Wassup? Has M$ improved their spam filtering, or is some of this rumoured anti-spam legislation actually having an effect?

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  22:30:37
Well, hotmail did redo their interface... maybe they actually did something more than play with appearances... (BTW, I hate the new look, and it doesn't always work in Safari)

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  23:11:37
Where's all the spam? In my inbox! Actually I have not checked my Hotmail "spam catcher" for a while and there was only 100 messages there which isn't too bad I guess. I rarely use the account.

This is my theory.... I reckon it has something to do with the re-location of the servers. Remember when MSN (and one other big ISP I can't remember the name of right now) announced they were shutting down some chat rooms entirely, and moving the servers for others back to the US? (because of the risk to kids safety from predators in chat rooms) The reason is that with servers located geographically all over the place, the legal jurisdiction of the data on the computers is also bound by the laws of whatever country it is in. With the servers now located 'at home in the USA' you can bet they (whoever "they" are) can now legally obtain info off those computers for the purpose of fighting crime I.E. kiddy chat room predators, terrorists... As a nice side effect of this greater control, it is easier for MSN to reduce spam - you can bet they have a list as long as my arm of blocked IP addresses (blocking spam-generating mail servers and so forth)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  03:33:00
The biggest problem out there in regards to SPAM, is idiot System Adminstrators who run servers and don't bother to make sure thier mail servers are secure. Lots still are open to use to bounce or relay information which is where alot of SPAM comes from. If people would take 10 minutes to learn how to take basic steps to secure thier computers it wouldn't be as bad. Spammers rely on the incompetence and idiocracy of most Admins.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  11:16:15
My biggest problem with spam, is those 150k MSBLASTER messages that cloggulate up my webmail account. I hate having to delete them, and even think that the bulk of the mail that I get, is stuff like that...

and to think that I used to almost-never get spam.... :sigh:

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  00:24:57
Lucky you...i haven't noticed a difference on the spam side of things...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.