All Forums
 Lounge
 Has Google sold out...
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  00:54:33
Whenever i go to good old goole these days and I click on a website, I go to soems tupid cheap ass search engine saying the sarch was no good but will like to sugest some 'popular searches'. We can all guess what they are...

When I go back in history, and click the same link again, it works...what the heck is happening?

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  03:50:09
seems fine for me

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  04:46:08
I get those too - lots of sites are desperate to get a high Google ranking. Like you, I hate those fake search enegine sites that show up as Google hits. Once I stumbled on to an interlinked set of sites that all had domain names like lemonwind.com, blueberrybreeze.com, lemonbreeze.com, etc. The sites all linked to each other and then had various spam links to who ever was paying for the service. That one Google search had pages and pages of these hits.

The point is that its not Google's fault. Rather its the fault of the thousands of sites that try to boost their Google page rank by every means possible.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  06:12:41
The beauty of google is it doesn't search by meta tags, but more by content and how pages are linked to. Hence how "google bombing" can come into effect, as catsdorule showed me. (go to google.com, type in "miserable failure" then hit 'im feeling lucky')

So these fake engines take advantage of that. I do not know how they do it so well, my guess is some sort of php or dynamic site thing that spits out exactly what you are looking for, fooling google into thinking its there.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  09:16:14
I think that google also placed links in order by how many other sites linked to it, don't they?

(on another note, have you ever googled your full name?)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  23:21:46
quote:

The beauty of google is it doesn't search by meta tags, but more by content and how pages are linked to.

Sh*t, don't they!?? So that's why a couple of sites I've created don't show up in google, even though they would have been web-crawled by now. Doing a google for Echo Design in Australia won't show anything for www.echodesign.com.au grrrrrrrrrrr

Edit: on the other hand... "Echo Design" is mentioned a few times in text, maybe it has not been crawled yet?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

68k ParaMedic

Edited by - Flash on 14 Dec 2003 23:27:10Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  06:07:56
quote:

Sh*t, don't they!?? So that's why a couple of sites I've created don't show up in google, even though they would have been web-crawled by now. Doing a google for Echo Design in Australia won't show anything for www.echodesign.com.au grrrrrrrrrrr

Actually, Google is more based on linking to decide relevance. Google likes sites that other sites have linked to. Now that you have linked from this forum to the the site (the URL in your posting), I'd bet that your site will show up in Google (the next time google crawls 68kMLA, which I know it does).

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  06:59:44
6-8 weeks till we'll get an answer to that I guess

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  17:52:36
The thing is, the site works, eventually.

As a test, go to google, and search for Commodore 64. Now, a few lines down there is a website with the title "Site taken down". Click on it, and with any luck you will go to some purple search engine. Go back to google, and click on it again..you will go to the correct page.

Sometime it does..sometimes it doesnt.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  20:46:49
Google is good for me, I ignore other search engines if possible as a result, I too have had the "fake search engines", guess it depends sometimes on what you search for.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.