68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 Your Official 68kMLA VideoGrapher hard at work!
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  18:12:51
On his own talk show!!!

That's right folks, anything and everything that I can make with the computer for my world project is acceptable, and that includes a talk show!

It's a "current events or news broadcast"

the only problem, is that i'm not sure if I'm going to turn it in, so I was thinking about maybe possibilities for me to still use it as an opportunity for me to create my own talk show anyway...

that having been said, hwo does one go about converting WMVs to a bit 'better' format? (I have a PC and a mac, Windows XP and OSX, so i can do just about anything )

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  18:41:14
quote:
hwo does one go about converting WMVs to a bit 'better' format?

Only idea: Only way: Cleaner 6, Quicktime, and the latest version of windoz media player X
other than that - it's hopeless

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  18:50:14
Gee, you're fast

I guess I'll find some other computer or camera or program for that computer (been using Windows Movie Maker) Or I'll use that, and just distribute my movies (I'm thinking about the K-MLA Talk Show here ) in the WMV format *(at leas it's pretty small )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  19:08:34
QuickTime streaming

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  19:09:35
VLC Player can stream movies to a file, so if you have WMV, play it in VNC and select advanced output to stream it to a MPEG file which you can then encode into anything.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  19:12:15
I'm on dialup, I would do quicktime streaming except for the lack of a camera and such that'd work with that...

I was thinking, that if there was some kind of program that I could get to help me work with the files that I can create with what I have, then i'd be able to make it available for download somewhere. (Like I'd be able to generate enough spur of the moment, creative, live content anyway )

If we all lived near eachother, i would need to set up an real FM or TV station (I need to find out how to do that anyway )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  19:16:27
quote:

VLC Player can stream movies to a file, so if you have WMV, play it in VNC and select advanced output to stream it to a MPEG file which you can then encode into anything.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  19:25:50
That's a monstor list of projects you've got there

I'd keep the PC for doing 'PC things' (like Office and games perhaps) and look at how you're gonna capture stuff onto the Mac. Like you said, you need to capture into a format that you can edit and upload later (presumably as a smaller filesize too) All I can say is QuickTime!, Final Cut Pro, iMovie......or get Premiere for the PC....

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  19:35:33
The problem is that alls I really have, is the stupid USB webcam

Iff'n I can find my regular camera, I want to get this though

http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/video/tvtrans.html

It probably doesn't go very far, but it looks REALLY cool

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  23:26:09
quote:
Gee, you're fast

Not quite fast enough…

quote:
in the WMV format

Ewww!!!!!!!! [those things are even less usefull than Real Files ]

quote:

I didn't think VLC could even play windoz media *Video* files… [I heard bad things about VLC a while ago, so I always used MPlayer, which can't export at all…]

quote:
The problem is that alls I really have, is the stupid USB webcam

Well… I can think of one other idea to use the files you already have…
-->Snapz Pro X<--
first DL and install the trial, then open the file you want in windoz media player for OS X, then tell snapz Pro to record a movie, and hit play on windoz media player
[this probly wont look as good as the orig. but windoz media video can't get too much worse right? ]
[note: only try this crazy method if VLC doesnt work out for you]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
PB 5300ce

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  18:05:37
LOL! I think, that I have the program on my computer (Snapz Pro) because it came with my TiBook iThink. Let me take a look, but I don't think I'll need to convert the files anyway. (Just a thought)

If I had my way, I would have found the video camera, and would have not used a computer for it all. Then, I would also have found a MUCH better place to do the video

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  23:19:47
cory, check out radio shack. . .they have wireless transmiter/receiver combo's. They are pretty sweet. One can easily make a wireless cam out of it.

You can get tiny cameras that unfortunately cost $100-$150. . .but they are no bigger than 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/4" . . .that camera can hook into the wireless transmitter via rca. this comes in a case, but you can uncase it for a much smaller size. you will need to make a battery pack. currently I am using 2 packs with 8 batteries each. So 16AAs. . .that lasts 6-10 hours (jury is still out). I am sure it is possible to run both off of the same pack of 8AAs, but I have not had time to figure that out yet. put that all in a case (small electrical boxes work well. This all transmits to the receiver that you can hook up to pretty much anything via RCA or coax. Total for this project was about $250. My roomate and I have done installations with these types of cameras. They also can come with a microphone/color for $25-$50 more.

The cool thing. . .they work great! And its fun to make a camera. This project could be expanded to include things like small lcds on the camera, etc, etc but there is no time now for that.

How much is imovie. . .just went on the apple site. . .it is a free download? I have not used it extensively, but I remember it was suuuuper easy. I needed to import something from firewire at. w/in 5 minutes I was importing that video. . . .guess I could put it on my G3, but I don't think I have enough RAM. Also, Premiere has a free trial that I think is pretty functional.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  16:37:06
quote:

Ewww!!!!!!!! [those things are even less usefull than Real Files ]

I know...IMHO QuickTime is definately THE way to go, if possible.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  20:20:04
I would do quiktime, but like I said, i don't have QT pro and there is *no* way to make that camera work on OSX, I've tried just about everything...

It's an Intel III USB cam, if anyone is interested. (I would appreaciate it greatly

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  00:02:31
quote:
I would do quiktime, but like I said, i don't have QT pro

*whistle…*Lime*whistle*Wire*whistle*

quote:
there is *no* way to make that camera work on OSX, I've tried just about everything...

heh… that reminds me of the stupid Logitech "QuickCams" that Verizon gives away with DSL… totally useless…

Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
PB 5300ce

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  05:28:26
Hey! Don't knock the QuickCam! The one i got brand new back in 1997 (when they were still being made by Connectix!) may be in B&W, but its still great!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  12:49:55
and if it's USB, then it's probably better than the ADB/Serial one just because I said so

at least the USB ones will work with a mac

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  19:49:26
I uploaded it to the 68kMLA HotLine server, 68k.dyndns.org (Thanks qJets )

It's "NyllemsDayOut.WMV"

That's right folks!

It's a WMV file!

(Deal with it)

Y'all either have PCs, or new enough macs for the Windows Media Player, so it should be NO problem at all.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  21:08:57
quote:

and if it's USB, then it's probably better than the ADB/Serial one just because I said so

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Nope! Its serial, complete with a Mac serial plug. So there.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  21:52:22
I was talking about the one that Derek said that Verizon gave him

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  13:57:43
quote:
Y'all either have PCs, or new enough macs for the Windows Media Player, so it should be NO problem at all.

LIAR!
I dont!
*Mac purest*
[but poor]

quote:
Hey! Don't knock the QuickCam! The one i got brand new back in 1997 (when they were still being made by Connectix!) may be in B&W, but its still great!

I didn't! [remember I have the GOOD OLD quickcam B/W too ]
I was knocking on the *logitech* "QuickCams" which do NOT work for Macs ~_~…

quote:

Not the ones verizon gave away………

Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
PB 5300ce

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  18:08:54
lol, either way..

Does connectix still exist at all?

(what with VPC and the quickcams being bought... :-\

There was color quickcams weren't there?

In fact, there was a mac usb connectix quickcam once, IIRC... I saw it on macaddict's iBorg dealie...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  05:37:45
Connectix's site appears to be gone, so i guess they don't exist anymore...

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  10:09:17
quote:

that is sad, but their quickcams still work great!
QuickPict + Closeview = full screen quickcam. . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  15:05:44
quote:
There was color quickcams weren't there?

Yep…
Manual focus though [but I'd still like one ]

quote:

Yea… That's sad…
but at least it's not as bad as Bungie…

Humm…
Maybe we should have a CUSeeMe gathering or something…

Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
PB 5300ce

Xanathus
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  10:12:04
I'd like to say a couple things here.

1) I once used a Quadra 840AV to record streaming audio (WMA) from my PowerMac 8500 (Via RCA-to-1/8" minijack cable). The results were good, especially considering that the stream was only 56K to begin with. The same could be done with Video and the appropriate adapters and cables.

2) I would say that the WMV format isn't the problem. It is Microsoft's failure to make it universally compatible on other platforms. The quality can be fabulous when encoded properly by someone who has the tools and knowhow to get it done right.

That said, I have seen quite a few Cinepak QT movies that look far better than most of the WMV content out there. And Cinepak will play on just about any computer.

For some examples of content that I recorded, digitized, and/or compressed in various formats:
> http://www.halfstarhotel.com/av.htm
> http://www.halfstarhotel.com/babyruth/index.htm

Oddly, the site seems to be down right now, so I can't double check my links. Neither can anyone else!

John Gilbert, Xanathus Studios

68K: Powerbook Duo 280c, Quadra 840av (2 of 'em), Quadra 950, IIcx, Performa 460, etc. (a lot of "etc.")
PPC: 9600 (G4/700), 9500 (G3/400) & 8500 (G3/300)Go to Top of Page

Xanathus
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  06:44:22
quote:

For some examples of content that I recorded, digitized, and/or compressed in various formats:
> http://www.halfstarhotel.com/av.htm

Oddly, the site seems to be down right now, so I can't double check my links. Neither can anyone else!

It seems that the server is up and running again.

John Gilbert, Xanathus Studios

68K: Powerbook Duo 280c, Quadra 840av (2 of 'em), Quadra 950, IIcx, Performa 460, etc. (a lot of "etc.")
PPC: 9600 (G4/700), 9500 (G3/400) & 8500 (G3/300)Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  13:19:37
I have a logitech cam, i think, working with os x fine. The camera came out of its casing a long time ago, and is now bundled in tape, but it works with the macam driver pretty durned well.

~The Penguin

Also, Cory, you might not be able to stream to everyone, but if you stream to someone with broadband, they can then reroute it and have everyone connect there.
Sorry if someone said that, I went to reply before i finished reading the entire thread, im so lazy.

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  19:42:36
lol, nono, it's ok Any good advice is helpful, even, sometimes especially, if it's repeated. (when I read threads, I tend to skip around, so repeating something increases the chance that I'll actually see it )

Yeah, I don't think that my camera is OSX-working, but it's just a USB one, I know that a firewire one, or a regular firewire videocamera should work a bit better.

I actually have a newer camera than that one now, it's a Kodak EasyShare cx6230, and it takes 30second blips of QuickTime video with audio, I've tested it and it's not too bad actually.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.