68k Software
 A HyperCardish Question.
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  22:34:22
Y'all know about me PowerPlayer 100 hack, it's in the hacks forum under "a very 68k and relevant hack"

Anyway, this involves making the image that a PowerBook 100 creates, VERY BIG.

I was thinking about things that would be worth using it for, and I thought to myself "Playing movies seems out of the question" but I happen to wonder, "IS IT, actually out of the question"

So I was thinking about the possibility of creating games and/or animations in HyperCard. In addition, I was thinking that it might be smart for me to have a version of HyperCard that works on a PowerBook 100 (I'll be running system 7.0.1 or 7.5 ~ish, probably 7.1, and it has 6 MB of RAM) and Maybe how big hypercard stacks can get...

I was thinking mostly of the possibilities of hand-drawing many individual frames and/or copypasting. This would mean that I'd have several hundred individual frames, and making any given movie/animation would be a HUGE undertaking, but i can't see how it might not be rewarding. If anyone wants to help by making one or three of them in 640 by 400 format

I'll try to make mine available for download iff'n I ever get around to it

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  02:09:42
Finding the authoring component for HyperCard might be hard.. but you know what, I might just have it, and if so, I'll get it to you.

It's very small, should let you create stacks and animations.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  06:24:51
Is there something other than HyperCard and HyperCard player?
I know that I have HyperCard 2.3, but that needs an 020 lasttime I checked, I figured that 2.1 or 2.0 would probably work on a 68000, and I happen to have a large book about HC 2.1/2.0

From what I hear, and have seen, finding a full version of HyperCard is by no means hard at all, I might even have the version that I need on a disk, if someone were to tell me what kind of machine different versions of hypercard need, or where to find that information myself.

That is, unless this "Authoring" component is different? (My HyperCard 2.3 is a full install CD, with other extras as well...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  07:29:37
SOme answers to some of your questions:

The regular Hypercard installation (not the Player) has all the authoring tools in it. So you don't need a special "authoring" version. The full version of Hypercard shipped with machines like the Mac II, so if you can get the install disks for one of those machines, you should find it there. I don't know which versions run on a 68000, though.

Stacks can get very big (thousands of cards and tens or hundreds of MB in size), much bigger than the RAM capacity of the machine, and still work. Hypercard is pretty efficient at paging stuff into memory on an as-needed basis. You might also be surprised to know that the original version of Myst was developed in Hypercard can actually ran on a highly modded version of HC.

Have fun, Hypercard is a blast.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  19:08:48
quote:

You might also be surprised to know that the original version of Myst was developed in Hypercard can actually ran on a highly modded version of HC.

And you can peek at the scripts with a proper deprotection tool. Cyan sold Hypercard games before Myst. I *think* Manhole was one of them. Does anybody know of other titles?

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  03:34:52
I'll make note of that, because the hdd on the PB100 is only 20 mb, IIRC... It'll be interesting to see how much of a stack I can fit on there...

I might have to try doing some other creative stuff, as far as creating large stacks, just for the fun of it! Maybe some creative engineering as far as creating a sort of 'database' system, possibly a guestbook for something... (whatever it is, it needs to be something that would be fun for me to show on a huge screen, and nearly-full motion video seemed like something that would be uber fun )

I had heard that myst was created in hypercard, but I haven't heard about any other games... that is quite interesting

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

KatMac
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  22:07:48
quote:
Cyan sold Hypercard games before Myst. I *think* Manhole was one of them. Does anybody know of other titles?

Yes, the Manhole was written by the Myst authors. The other ones I know of (and have) are Cosmic Osmo and Spelunx. I like the Manhole best.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.