Lounge
 What shouldn't be left behind...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  07:51:25
I've had a lot of time to think to myself today, messing with this machine, setting up the filesharing for the rest of my little maccies - and between that & using hotline and photoshop on my OSX-driven imac more than usual - the one thing I miss from the new OS is the old look - 'platinum'. It's a little like a Quadra 605 (you knew I'd bring this up)... small, elegant, and out of the way. None of the interface is in-your-face, it's just there to be used. OSX's Aqua look is nice - and for a 3d-shadow-glassy-glossy look, it does well. I'm one for absolutely loathing a lot of themes. most of them are garish revolting barely-usable attempts at interfaces, and do nothing to bring focus away from the computer and onto what you're -doing- with it. Aqua is nice, but it's nowhere near the loveliness of platinum.

(thought for the week is... free to be thunk by anyone else, or not)
dana

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  09:00:57
I'm also pretty picky when it comes to the UI. I still don't like Aqua that much (though perhaps if I was able to use it at home it might grow on me), and there are only a handful of schemes that i like and use. All of them are very simple, and have a sort of Isean simplicity about them.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  09:27:48
quote:

I'm also pretty picky when it comes to the UI. I still don't like Aqua that much (though perhaps if I was able to use it at home it might grow on me), and there are only a handful of schemes that i like and use. All of them are very simple, and have a sort of Isean simplicity about them.

Simple is the best. After a year with Aqua, platinum is still way out in front.

It's hard to believe that I've been using OSX for 2/3 of the time i've owned macs. Newbie, I am :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  09:32:19
Just cos we're on the topic of platinum... a platinum screenshot!

Norton Utilities, with it's specs on the Q950...

http://www.danamania.com/nortons.jpg

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  10:15:18
Why does it say it's running at only 6MHz...?

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  10:16:16
quote:

cos it's silly :)

Techtool shows it as a PB2300 running at... 6mhz!

(with a 3Mhz bus)

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  11:58:24
Biz-aaahh!

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  12:11:16
quote:

quote:

cos it's silly :)

Techtool shows it as a PB2300 running at... 6mhz!

(with a 3Mhz bus)

wooooow! megasilly! now i jus'gotta see what they say about my 2300!

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  12:51:18
quote:

Simple is the best. After a year with Aqua, platinum is still way out in front.

It's hard to believe that I've been using OSX for 2/3 of the time i've owned macs. Newbie, I am :D

Platinum is the only theme I've ever really run. (G4-466/9.1) I just knocked it back to 256 levels of gray and it still looked great. This site looks great in gs except for the snitzy stuff. I tried to knock it down to bw but nothing under 256 was avaliable. I had wondered if/when they'd forgotten gs and was pleasantly surprised, even the blue jellyfish custom theme desktop looks great. I booted 10.1 on the other drive and couldn't figure out if I could even get into grayscale, did they give up on gs in aqua? Haven't tried my portrait this yet, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I first saw that it was supported.

I must be an oldbie, I ran in bw forever.
jt

*I want a diamondplate theme like my palm software!*

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  12:59:36
quote:

Platinum is the only theme I've ever really run. (G4-466/9.1) I just knocked it back to 256 levels of gray and it still looked great. This site looks great in gs except for the snitzy stuff. I tried to knock it down to bw but nothing under 256 was avaliable. I had wondered if/when they'd forgotten gs and was pleasantly surprised, even the blue jellyfish custom theme desktop looks great. I booted 10.1 on the other drive and couldn't figure out if I could even get into grayscale, did they give up on gs in aqua? Haven't tried my portrait this yet, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I first saw that it was supported.

Setting up AppleshareIP 5 on the portrait was a dream today :). I didn't feel like I was missing out on much at all, but I'm afraid I do love my colour highlights. (despite my page being mostly black & white!). Do you remember how large the mac 2-page displays were - and were they as clear as a portrait display? oh one of those cheap would be nice on the server...

listen to me - already planning my next big spend :D.

My 10.1.2 OSX doesn't have greyscale either. I think I can live with that. Running all of the rendering/shadow effects in 256 colour 640x480 looks a little odd though :)

dana 'platinum' mania

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  13:01:19
quote:

Your 2300 will -really- be a 1.2Ghz Quadra 950, with cards hanging out of it everywhere, piled full of ram and drive space but be reported as having a max resolution of 80x50 (widescreen)

:)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  13:12:13
quote:

quote:

Your 2300 will -really- be a 1.2Ghz Quadra 950, with cards hanging out of it everywhere, piled full of ram and drive space but be reported as having a max resolution of 80x50 (widescreen)

:)

dana

pro'ly right, now 'm not gonna bother.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  21:00:48
IMHO, Aqua does look *very* cool. Platinum is okay, but it just doesn't look too good on my 500 ibook. It looks far cooler on my Duo 280c running 8 (or rather looked; I still didn't get it fixed yet).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  06:39:40
BTW, the widescreen resolution for those monitors is actually 80x45! Geez!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  07:02:34
quote:

BTW, the widescreen resolution for those monitors is actually 80x45! Geez!

I am unworthy!. Make me worth more... send money.

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.