All Forums
 Compact Macs
 Possible Fix for Compact Video Problem
Author Topic  
Macintosh±OrInBetween
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  21:03:09
As we all know, the little compact macs tend to have video troubles. Mine had them bad. Violent inward squeeze of picture on left/right. I pulled the thing apart today, and the solder at P1 on the analog board had cracked. In addition, the plastic was burnt from arcing, and there was a brown streak from the soldering where the green wire connects and the width adjustment pot. I heated the solder with my soldering iron, reassembled the computer, and booted it. 90% fixed. The arcing may have hurt other parts of the machine, or I may need to use all new solder, but at least it's usable again. ALSO: How to make a 'mac cracker' with common household junk.

You will need:
Trox screwdriver bit T-15. If T-15 is not available, T-10 may work, but nothing larger.
2 cheap pens: 1 Paper-Mate, 1 Bic. Standard ball-point $1 for a pack of 20 style.
Maybe a small pair of pliers
A flat blade screwdriver

Remove both the ink cartridge and tip, and the rear cap from the Bic pen (Like how you would make a spitball shooter)
Remove the ink cartridger from the Paper-Mate pen as well.
Force the thinner end (rear part) of the Paper-Mate pen into an end of the Bic pen. Hammer it in there good.
Force the trox bit into the other end of the Bic pen. Don't worry, you can use pliers or mutilate the Bic pen to remove the bit.
Use this to remove the 4 screws. If you have trouble with the screws, grip part of the pen with the pliers and turn.
Use the flat blade screwdriver to very carefully pry off the back half of the case. You may have to pry at all 4 sides. Don't turn fast or hard, or the screwdriver will slip, putting dents in your mac's case.

Thanks for reading:
Macintosh±OrInBetween

68k's Liberated:
Macintosh SE, Macintosh LC 475, LC 580

68k-related Equipment:
ImageWriter II, Performa Plus Display

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  08:49:24
Sadly Apple's quality on those olders macs wasn't that great, video problems were common. I would say if anyone ever gets a used Compact mac they should check out the solder joints first thing if they are experienced enough, it will save alot of troubles and extend the life of the machine. It also doesn't hurt to replace parts that are getting old, since many of the parts in the analogue system like transistors etc., do weaken with age.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  10:50:36
To take my SE/FDHD apart, I would remove all the screws with my long Sears T-15, then I would slap the bottom, the top and the sides (with the machine sitting on it's face) and the whole housing would come riight off, nice'n cleanly.

If I ever get another compact mac, I'll even discharge it and install more memory

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.