All Forums
 PowerBook
 stripped screws.
Author Topic  
Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  18:12:39
i've gotta my PB 540c apart to replace the floppy drive, but i'm having some problems with the screws that hold the keyboard in place. the head on one of them is VERY stripped. it's almost round and i can't turn the screw. does anyone have any ideas on how to get this out of there? thanks :)

ElBaroni
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  19:45:10
The traditional method is a drill, although that doesn't sound like that much fun under the circumstances. Have you got the right screwdriver? Try one size up...

Or just get some pliars, close your eyes and rip!

My 128k broke, my 512k had beer poured in the top of it, and my 512ke blew up. I'm resorting to an SE/30. To go along with my PB170, LC, LC II, LC 575, IIci (A/UX). And so on and so forth.Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  21:58:31
quote:

Or just get some pliars, close your eyes and rip!

heh, i'm about ready for that.

seriously though, i didn't even think about a drill. that's good thinking. i'll try it.

quote:

Have you got the right screwdriver? Try one size up...

yup, i've got a T-10. the T-15 is too big, and i've worn out a flathead screwdrive on this stupid screw already.

Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  00:14:12
It's too bad the screw for the keyboard is recessed deep inside the case. If it wasn't, I typically file off the edges of the screw to make it semi-rectangular, then grab it with a plier, and it will turn loose quite easily.

If you are going to drill it out, there's a "proper" way to do it - you get a standard drill bit with a small enough diameter so you don't accidentally drill out the screw head. Then, once you drill in about 1/8" (or less, depending on the situation), you get a special bit (called countersink bit? it looks like a widening spiral, but twisting opposite direction to the thread - should be available at any hardware store) which will "catch" the just-drilled hole as you drill it in reverse direction - that will pull out the screw.

Some have suggested epoxying a screw driver to the head, which can work - and the epoxy can be removed with a razor later. Super glue is too brittle so it may not work.

----
Liberated Portables & Powerbooks:
M5120 M5126 M1506 M5409 M4990 M7940 M7777(2) M4880(2)
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  00:41:37
In this case I reckon you'd be better off drilling the head of the screw off, then removing whats left with a pair of pliers once you have the keyboard seperated from the chassis.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  11:39:57
sounds good. i think i've got a bit that will work so i'll try that today.. i'll let you guys know how it goes. thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  21:44:21
yup, drilling it worked. no new floppy drive, though. my spare is broken too.

Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  23:26:18
I assume you already tried using a floppy disk cleaner, or blowing air or something to remove dust and other foreign particles?

You may also want to check the Mylar cable that goes between the logic board and the floppy drive. It might just be loose. I've forgotten to lock the connector on the floppy drive end of the cable after taking a PB540c apart, and I panicked for a bit thinking that the floppy drive went bad .

----
Liberated Portables & Powerbooks:
M5120 M5126 M1506 M5409 M4990 M7940 M7777(2) M4880(2)
Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  08:25:44
there's a peice of metal inside the drive that kind of holds the disk when it's inside the drive. it's supposed to be in the "up" position but it's stuck "down". it's strange though because i used this drive about a week ago and it was fine.. and now's it like this.. s*** happens i guess.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.