PowerBook
 Trying to recover PB 150
Author Topic  
molemi
Starting Member

Germany
3 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  05:34:02
Hi Folks! After many years of Apple-free life I now inherited a PowerBook150 and would like to try to run it (have some affection for the 68k as I was born 1968). Unfortunately I have no idea how such a machine works, but I have some decent experience in opening and repairing simple prooblems in IBM hardware, desktop and laptop machines running Gates and Torvalds Oss...
Now, the PB 150 starts, shows a mouse pointer that I can move and displays a floppy symbol with a question mark. I understand this as a request for a floppy but were do I get a floppy from whih this machine can boot? Are there raw images on the web somewhere? Couldn't google for such a thing... and I remember that Apple had a different floppy File System. How about File Systems on the Harddisk? Can I put the harddisk in a IBM machine and build a corect file system for the mac on it? Or any other suggestions how I could rebuild the system?
Thanks so much!
:-J
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  05:47:05
What i would do is to try and get my hands on another Mac with a floppy drive and an internet connection, and go here and make up some System 7.5.3 floppy images, and install it that way. As for putting in a HD from a PC, the PB150 will take any 2.5" laptop IDE drive.

Hope this helps

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

ElBaroni
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  12:44:03
This should tell you what you want to know.

http://macfaq.org/software/macos.shtml#Q1.1.6

The PC doesn't like writing bootable mac os floppy images, although there is software available to make Windows read HFS (the Hierarchical File System).

Cheers, and good luck!

My 128k broke, my 512k had beer poured in the top of it, and my 512ke blew up. I'm resorting to an SE/30. To go along with my PB170, LC, LC II, LC 575, IIci (A/UX). And so on and so forth.Go to Top of Page

sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  21:14:10
If you have access to a Macintosh, you can download the PowerBook 150 system disk here -

http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/users/olawlor/mac/mac_PB_150.html

There's instructions for doing it from Windows, but I don't know if it works.

From there, perhaps, you could download the rest of Apple's 7.5.3 and be off. But I wonder if you're not better off obtaining a set of 7.1 or 7.6.1 disks from eBay or elsewhere. Probably 7.1 would be best for the 150. Note you may need to manually put the 150 enabler in the system folder for it to work.

--Jon

Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  00:50:38
I recommend the System 7.5 Network Access Disk image available from Apple, if you have ways to make a Macintosh disk image on another Mac or PC. You may also need a utility called Disk Copy, version 4.2 or later. Following is the link:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

Check under the Utilities directory of Apple Sofware Updates if the above link is broken.

This will boot your PB150 on the floppy (no enabler needed), ready to access another Mac via Localtalk network. You can click "About Macintosh..." on the upper left corner of the screen and check installed RAM. If the hard disk is mountable, you should see its icon on the upper right hand side. With this knowledge, you can decide to put it off, or proceed with installing System 7.5.3. from another Mac.

If you are planning to take it apart, to install a hard disk for example, make sure you get the right tools - one Torx T-10 and one T-8, available at most hardware and hobby stores.

----
Liberated Portables & Powerbooks:
M5120 M5126 M1506 M5409 M4990 M7940 M7777(2) M4880(2)
Go to Top of Page

molemi
Starting Member

Germany
3 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  02:51:23
Dear friends of the Apple!
Thanks very much for your fast replies! In the meantime I got the service manual from "Balance of Judgement" and found out that the harddisk spins up, but every time with a different noise...it clearly is mechanically broken. I hope the internal controler can handle a 2GB drive, thats the only HD I have at the moment coming close to the original 120...
As I don't have Apple friends with a plug for me, I will first try to make some bootable disks from the PC. I also checked eBay: lots of 7.5 on CD-ROM - but I do not have a CD-ROM...
So far my progress for the moment. I'll let you know what comes next in a few days.
Thanks again for the rich communication!
Go to Top of Page
molemi
Starting Member

Germany
3 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  05:15:14
Hi again!
Faster than expected! I loaded the utilities from sheygoth's site with my old companion rawrite on a floppy: booted easily, initialised an old Quantum 60MB I had found in my fundus , copied the contents of the floppy there and the PowerBook is successfully reanimated - or should I say liberated?
Now I am afraid I need another Mac to download software for me...or is there a way to connect the PowerBook to a TCP/IP network? Or can I connect to a modem? What software would I need to do so (oh I am afraid I need a Mac-friend to download stuff for me...)
Where is the place for software downloads for System 7.1? Or an update to 7.5?
Thanks again, especially to sheygoth and maclover5 for confirmation that it is in fact an IDE-Disk that is built in!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.