All Forums
 Lounge
 Happy Camper!
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  20:21:03
Typing this on my new iBook G4. Yipee! 800/12"/640mb... stuck with the 30gb Hard Drive for now though.

Seems a nice, tight little machine... not sure about the colour though. Why can't they make them in RED?

Now I just gotta get some apps installed (including basilisk of course) and I'll be laughing.

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  22:54:56
BTW, does anyone know if airport extreme is compatible with the original airport? Not the protocols, but the actual hardware.

The reason I ask is 'cause the ibook supports airport extreme, and I've got an original airport card lying around. A recipe for sparks & smoke or for untethered freedom?

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  23:43:29
recipe for smoke and etc etc.

I think anyway...

an airport extreme card shouldn't cost too much...

Welcome, to G4dom

I wouldn't mind seeing a red laptop

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  23:48:44
Nope they are not. If I recall correctly the Airport uses a PC Card format and the Airport Extreme uses a Mini-PCI format.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  01:18:06
yeah, something like that. Airport was a bit more like PCMCIA, whereas Airport Extreme has a slot a bit mroe lieka PCI slot.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  02:23:13
Wooot! Congratulations on the new iBook! You could always paint it red! Hopefully a 12" TiBook will be in my sweaty little hands tomorrow! Feeling all tingly in anticipation!

Yup the Extreme card only fits in the newer machines, the old non-extreme card only fits in the older machines. Completely different connectors. And despite the old card looking like it's a PCMCIA/PCCardBus, it isn't, so you can't shove it in your PCCardBus slot. Sorry. You could sell it on eBay or somewhere particularly if you have the adapter card (so it can go in a desktop machine) - those with older machines (powerbooks, ibooks, imacs, g3s, g4s) can only use the old sort - which you can no longer easily buy.

Alcina

======================================
Plus, SE, SE/FDHD, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, LC475, Quadra 700, Quadra 660AV, Powerbook 520, 6100, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet, Beige G3, Bondi Blue iMac, PismoGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.