68k Conquests
 Does it become obessive?
Author Topic  
Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  04:13:59
So....down by my desk for *years* have been two Acorn A5000 machines. Pretty...and appear to take a PS2 keyboard....but like Apple, the mouse plugs into the proprietry Acorn keyboard. No Acorn keyboard, no mouse. Because it's GUI only...no can use. But I could never bring myself to throw them out...

This morning I noticed an interesting pile o'crap outside one of the departments. Sitting on top at a jaunty angle was an A5000 keyboard replete with mouse! I walked past it telling myself "no!". Nobbut six steps later I turned around and grabbed it.

One machine is now humming away prettily on my desk, completely useable. And this pleases me.

It's becoming an obession isn't it?

Alcina

======================================
Plus, SE, SE/FDHD, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, LC475, Quadra 700, Quadra 660AV, Powerbook 520, 6100, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet, Beige G3, Bondi Blue iMac, Pismo

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  04:45:41
quote:

It's becoming an obession isn't it?

Yes... I'm afraid to say, yes it is.

Cool hey =)

dana
--
http://www.danamania.com/gallery/vhacks/

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  05:54:00
This is good karma, I would just accept it & let yourself be happy.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  22:01:46
We prefer to think of it as being extremely focused.

--Eric

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  14:32:51
shaktiman is right. its environmental, its educational, it makes you happy. for me, just making them hum with chimes of love is enough. but when one actually becomes useful to you, its hard to look back. the only time I have fealt obsessive about it is when I need a part RIGHT NOW! I kinda drop everything and look for that part. . .
my girlfriend thinks its wierd. . .but as long as she feels loved, appreciated, supported, and happy. . .she does not mind my obsession over macs! There are some good girls out there!

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  18:24:54
I don't think of it as an obsession but rather a time intensive hobby which brings the joys of bringing things back to life, just as an antique collector would polish things and restore them. I'm sure in any hobby there's always someone who is saying: "If you bring another Macintosh/PC/Wood Stove/recliner in I'll strangle you with it!" (Although you have to admit, getting strangled with a Mac is hard unless it's a laptop in which case you get scrunched between the LCD and keyboard.)

My collection of technology in general is growing, but I try and keep in mind my limits. I also find it easier when each machine has a specific task that it does on a constant basis.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  00:02:52
People have asked this to me about projectors. I must say, it appears as an obsession, but I believe that it is a time intensive interest that could lead quite easily into a career, or something else good.

In addition, with many obsessions like that, you're always learning. I know what with projectors, I'll be learning for a long time, about them. For example, I need to figure out the difference between a throw lens and a zoom lens

Good news about the acorn machines though, and it's the stuff like that, just holding onto it that makes one successful. It's the lack of that habit that makes me regretful... (like hwo I didn't keep my projector screen through the move to arizona...)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  15:56:56
obsession ... what obsession ... i dont have no obsession ... i promise

i must get more macs ... i must get more macs ... i must get more macs ... i must get more macs

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  19:05:59
Hey, just think though... "Must have more macs" sounds alot more normal than "must have more projectors" doesn't it?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  00:14:02
quote:
i must get more macs ... i must get more macs ... i must get more macs ... i must get more macs

I feel the same way…
Must get B/W G3… Must get better PowerBook… Must buy 68k's and older PPCs by the pallet… must convince school to give me 5400's… must get more ethernet for 48port 10base hub… must get more power strips… must get more Apple-branded Monitors…must get B/W G3… buying car -- can -- wait -- need -- computers…
quote:
Hey, just think though... "Must have more macs" sounds alot more normal than "must have more projectors" doesn't it?

Indeed.

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  11:35:57
quote:

My collection of technology in general is growing, but I try and keep in mind my limits. I also find it easier when each machine has a specific task that it does on a constant basis.

The same with me. I justify spending money on another computer only when it will serve as specific purpose. That way the machine will be used and not just sit on a shelf and collect dust. I really like to have a practical application for my computers, not just to say that I have them.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  21:37:53
I often try to have a purpose for each of my computers, or at least some kind of reason for having it...

That's why I was so weird about having that Performa 600 that one time, I had absolutely no use for it... whatever it cuold have been doing was served by the IIsi

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 06 Dec 2003 :  00:43:56
quote:
That way the machine will be used and not just sit on a shelf and collect dust. I really like to have a practical application for my computers, not just to say that I have them

ya know… it seems like only 5 of my machines have true purpose… The 9500/G3 is my main computer [getting the most attention], my C600/240 gets the second most attention [due to it's job as the downloads/IRC/Hotline computer - and 40gb HD], my 950 is my A/UX play machine [although, I have had too much school work to reinstall like I need to], and my G3/233 DT is my OS X.1/webserver test machine [although the HD case's fan was making waay too much noise, so it's turned off for the moment], and my last most active computer [probly 3rd most used] is my PB5300ce [it's so lucky, it gets to play Marathon? at lunch everyother day, and I have to type a lot of english work on it]
after all of these, the only machine that has a true purpose at the moment is my Quadra 660av [my Debian Linux test machine - but it can't get on the net to DL the DHCP client program, so it can get on the net ~_~ -- if it weren't for that, I would use it as a webserver (if the 950 and A/UX never work out)]

Well, I've typed a lot for a post… so I think Im going to go and dawdle around the net, maybe hit the Marathon story page, or load UT… something…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
PB 5300ce

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  16:45:11
I also have the same problem...out of the...uh.....17 computers i have, only 8 really serve a function...the rest are either backup or parts machines...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  17:40:06
Im sorry about forgetting about the question you asked....but I lost focus the second you said Acorn

hmmm *wishes he could find at least some kind of Acorn so he can try RISC OS*

Damn PAF, even if I found one my parents wouldnt let me have it anyway..unless I.....hid it

It isnt an obession, its just a hobby. Thing with computers is, particularily older ones, its kinda like keeping a pet, they are tempermental, and they are kinda..alive. So you have to look after them...so thats why it takes alot for effort.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  05:43:02
I agree. To tell you the truth, the main reason i ended up getting hooked on the whole 68k thing is because of the fact that a lot of people are throwing out perfectly good, working Macs. IMHO, throwing out perfectly good, working equipment is a waste, no matter how old it may be, and how rich you may be, its still a waste, because there is always someone who would kill to get their hands on that so called worthless bit of rubbish you're throwing out.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  05:50:11
Only 1 machine I have was going to be tossed from a university (IIfx) and I only found out about it after I was looking for a Iifx for my collection. Generally I look for specific machines and not just for whats getting tossed. I dont have multiples of any apple computer for this reason. The 68k's are mostly just for messing around and doing some modest video captuer, same with the 2 powerpc machines I have. I like to update hardware and early 68k's are not that expensive to do these days. Most of my hardware comes from ebay or lem swaplist. Software I get from newsgroups or the LEM 9yes I do collect old software for the mac,dos/os2 pc, amiga, atari st). I dont see a need to add any more 68k's to my collection at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  17:26:18
I'll have to agree with the last post - I am not adding anymore 68k's to my collection and I am only looking for specific models. I'd like to get a bondi iMac - one of the first ones. Why, you ask? because what I am interested in are unique and first introductions now. I only have a few things now that I want to add and I don't see the point in collecting a warehouse of stuff thats going to sit and catch dust.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

See my system: www.pbase.com/image/9129025Go to Top of Page

MacAddict314
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  12:19:08
quote:

This morning I noticed an interesting pile o'crap outside one of the departments. Sitting on top at a jaunty angle was an A5000 keyboard replete with mouse! I walked past it telling myself "no!". Nobbut six steps later I turned around and grabbed it.

lol, same thing happened to me yesterday, except it was a SE.

68k Macs Liberated: 2
Old PPC Macs: 1

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  12:07:06
when I run out of uses for machines, I tend to start using them as furniture, or other decoration or ornamentation.

it works well for me.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  14:38:06
quote:
when I run out of uses for machines, I tend to start using them as furniture, or other decoration or ornamentation.

it works well for me.

that kinda reminds me of the fate of failed CD burns, and 40mb HD's that I have…

*Failed CD-Rs hanging from the celing* [and dissected 40mb HD laying on the floor]

Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
PB 5300ce

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.