All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Q630 IDE Hard Drive Max Size?
Author Topic  
austingecko
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  14:44:02
Does anyone know what the max hd size the Quadra 630 can take? Also, if I remember correctly it will only go as high as PIO Mode 3. Can someone confirm this? Thanks.
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  15:45:55
From what I recall there is no set limit on a Macintosh as per IDE size. However, the limit will be in how many partitions it must be in for Mac OS to use it. Certian versions of Mac OS had limits. For example, 7.5/7.6 had a 4GB limit I believe, and OS 8 could do up to iether 8GB per partition or higher.

Go to Top of Page

austingecko
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  19:32:14
OK...googled some info here. Can anyone confirm that 2GB is the largest size? What if you make partitions in 2GB limits lets say on a 4GB or 8GB Drive?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Quadra+630%22+IDE+%22hard+drive%22+size&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=4dg6rd%2421ag%40ftp.univie.ac.at&rnum=2

#################################################
IDE Volume Sizes (4/95)

Article Created: 13 April 1995

TOPIC -----------------------------------------------------------

What is the largest volume size that the IDE interface, which is used in the
PowerBook 150, Macintosh 630-series, and Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC, can support?

Does the IDE interface (ANSI proposal X3T9.2/90-143, Revision 3.1.) have the same
limit as the ATA interface specification which I believe is approximately 500 MB, or
does this interface support a larger volume size?

DISCUSSION ------------------------------------------------------

According to Engineering, the IDE interfaces in the PowerBook 150, Macintosh 630-series, and Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC use a built-in driver that works with volume up to 2 GB in size. However, it's important to note that any IDE drive that is going to be used on these systems must support Logical Block Addressing (LBA). LBA is the method that drive manufacturers have adopted in order to go beyond the 520 MB DOS-BIOS limit.

As long as the IDE drives support Logical Block Addressing, it should be possible to install drives larger than 500 MB in these systems.

Support Information Services

Copyright 1995, Apple Computer, Inc."

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  22:07:00
quote:

OK...googled some info here. Can anyone confirm that 2GB is the largest size? What if you make partitions in 2GB limits lets say on a 4GB or 8GB Drive?

That's certainly old/outdated/incomplete info for a Q630 - I have one with a 10GB drive (the drive came as original equipment in an iMac 400, and I had it spare since I put an 80GB into the imac).

The drive is partitioned into one 500mb HFS boot partition with OS8.1 on it, and the rest is one large HFS+ partition of about 9GB. It certainly works! I suspect the controller may not have a 2GB volume limit, but perhaps the original system software for a 630 would have.

dana

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  03:26:30
Just make sure that the drive you wish to boot with is not HFS+, only PPC Macintosh Machines can boot from HFS+. 68K Macs can read HFS+ but cannot boot from them. And of course, HFS+ requires OS8.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  17:16:57
Back when my LC630 had a working 6 gig HD, i had a 2 gig HFS volume, which had my system, apps and other stuff on it, and i had had the rest as a 4 gig HFS+ volume, which i used for storing video and stuff.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  12:00:38
quote:

Just make sure that the drive you wish to boot with is not HFS+, only PPC Macintosh Machines can boot from HFS+. 68K Macs can read HFS+ but cannot boot from them. And of course, HFS+ requires OS8.

That'd be 8.1 if memory serves correctly...

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.