Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Software
 MpegDec 3.0
Author Topic  
markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  05:12:32

MpegDec 3.0 is out if anyone wants to upgrade.

The main new feature is mp3 streaming of shoutcast, icecast and live365 servers.

You can download a pls file from the shoutcast site links then drag it to MpegDec's window or setup your browser to connect automatically when a shoutcast link is clicked on.

The live365 site relies on new java features supported by non 68k browsers but if you can grab the pls file (mp3 streaming playlist file) using a PPC or PC Browser then MpegDec 3.0 will be able to connect to the live365 server.

Doing mp3 streaming on a 68040 mac is a lot of fun in my opinion.

The talk stations and low bitrate (32bps) stations stream ok on a 56k connection.

This version runs in async mode meaning that it will let other apps run at the same time MpegDec is playing mp3's in the background but it all depends on speed so a fair bit of experimenting may be needed.

There is also a autostart feature which enables MpegDec to run automatically on boot.

This feature could be used for automatic playing on boot with no monitor.

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/gst/snd/mpeg-dec-30.hqx

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  06:09:14
Very nice! I currently use my LC630 as a living room MP3 player. It rocks. However, it makes me wonder...on the 630, i can use a Sony remote control to launch and exit Apple Video Player, adjust the volume, and control audio CDs. How hard would it be to make MpegDec controllable via remote?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  22:45:02

I don't have a lc630 but is it the infra-red port on the front.

I can't find much info about it but if I do I'll put it into MpegDec.

I'd have to read the infra-red port to get it's control status.

Usually there is some sample source code at the apple developers site but I hav'nt found anything there.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  16:13:41
Yeah, i was talking about the infa-red port on the front. I didn't think Sony or Apple would put too much info about the Sony remote control interface online, seeing as though both companies really like their proprietary crap, but ah well, it was worth a go!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  23:05:29

The only info I've managed to find is

The iMac has a direct infrared (IR) communication link connected internally to serial port B.

So I could read serial port B on an iMac using IrDA protocols but for the LC 630 I can't find any info about what serial port the infrared is connected to and I don't think the LC630 uses IrDA protocols.

Anyone got any info?.

Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  13:18:00
Just want to say thanks for posting the link to the Mpeg-Dec 3.0. I've been using 2.5.3 until now, and was frustrated that a few of the MP3s wouldn't play on it. 3.0 plays them all.

----
Liberated Portables & Powerbooks:
M5120 M5126 M1506 M5409 M4990 M7940 M7777(2) M4880(2)
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  00:33:03
Just out of curiosity, how well does MPEGDec work on an LC 040? I am wondering this because I'm close to being able to make a multimedia supermac~ish projector machine with a PowerBook. An 040 'book seems like it would be a good choice, iff'n they output in stereo and mpegdec will run...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  04:41:55

If you want 44100Hz stereo playback then you need a PPC.

Even a 6100 60Mhz PPC will do it.

On a Quadra 840av 40Mhz I can get 22050Hz stereo playback.

On a 33Mhz and 25Mhz you can get a 22050Hz SingleMix output where left and right channels are mixed together.

Also on a Quadra 840av 40Mhz I can get 44100Hz SingleMix playback.

On a 68060 50 MHz which the 68k macs never had
you can get 44100Hz stereo playback just like a PPC.

It depends on what sounds ok to you.

To me a mp3 playing on my quadra 840av does'nt sound that much different to the same mp3 playing on my G3 with iTunes.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  05:06:06

I've got a Ogg Vorbis decoder working on PPC and there is an integer (no fpu) Ogg Vorbis decoder mostly for handhelds that could be made to run on a 68040 mac.

From what I can tell it's a bit slower than MpegDec but with Ogg, lower bitrates (apparently) sound better than the equivalent mp3 bitrates so the Ogg decoder could turn out to be ok on a 68040.

Even if it doesn't it's still useful for streaming low bitrate ogg streams.

Anyone use Ogg at all?

Go to Top of Page

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:22:39
I too was interested in the remote control features... but alas a 1-drive jukebox was not enough, I upgraded to a 7220 with 2 x IDE drives.

What about this:
~~~~~
The infrared feature of the iMac is unlike the one-way infrared receivers of LC630, Power Macintosh 5xxx and 6xxx.
It is intended for two-way communications with other compatible IrDA-compliant devices and does not respond to the remote controls used with the Apple TV/Video systems of those earlier models.

The infrared lens transmits infrared light in a 30-degree radius, pointing outward from the computer. The recommended minimum distance between devices is 1 meter. The iMac transmits files using the IrDA protocol, which transmits data up to 4 megabits per second and uses AppleTalk and TCP/IP protocols.

Other infrared capable Apple products are not compatible because they use a different infrared lens, transmitter, and protocols such as IRTalk.
~~~~~
Just so you folks know all InfraRed products are not created equal!

As for the developer's info... I don't even know if it was ever published!

P.S. I think Audion can play Ogg format. There are heaps of non-Mac audio tools at http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/
P.P.S. for those interested in IrDA, you can visit http://www.irda.org/ but remember Apple has essentially abandoned this technology in favor of BlueTooth.

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Retained collection includes SE, Classic, ClassicII, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, LC475, Quadra840AV,950(w/PPC card) PB145,520,190 & many contraband Powermacs. Last one liberated:LC580.Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  03:53:13

Link for new version that fixes a few small bugs and adds mp3 to wave converting.

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/gst/snd/mpeg-dec-311.hqx

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.