Lounge
 OSS Rant
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  01:09:04
Hi,

For you of those who do know im interested in the more obscure OSs like OS/2, BeOS, RiscOS or the like, so now you know where Im coming from with this.

Last week (the last time I was on my computer thanks to my job) I noticed a comment in the OS/2 forums of OSnews.com about whether OS/2 is dead or not, that spirtualises everything that pisses me off.

quote:
I think OS/2 will die if they don't make it more available, like get it open-source or free. There's not a lot of people (i think) using it and some of us have heard about it and wishes to try. But i'm not going to give a bunch of money just to try a OS that i hear is good! So like me, who knows, they're loosing a bunch of possible users.

Ok, Im going to say right here why the poster is a **** wit. To start off, OS/2 is not dead and is not dieing, eComstation (the new OS/2) is kicking ass in european banks, and is even attracting quite a few developers and users to the platform.

The main problem though is how often this is said about OSs. BeOS is suffering the same problems (by the way, Kudos to the OpenBeOS team, I wish them luck, I think they will need it) with people bitching how Palm should release the source code to BeOS. But I digress..

MABYE, just mabye it will help OS/2 live on if it was dead. But what purpose would it get. The second it went opensource or free, developers will just leave because to be frank, who expects a bunch of freeloaders who wouldnt even pay for the OS to pay for software to go with it.

Now the comment about loosing a bunch a users, my response is much like the last one. What purpose do these user have the Serenity Systems (the devlopers)? They wouldnt be making money, just attracting a bunch of freeloading bastards. Too cheap to pay for an OS...bad luck. I would pefer OS/2 to die with dignity than for it to be gang raped by a bunch of users and then left to die on the curb. Which reminds me of BeOS again....

Im sorry about this.....but I needed to get it off my chest before I hurt somebody..

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  01:57:19
regarding beos, it is rumored that palm will use it in their next revision of the Palm OS

anyhoo, thats the scuttlebutt that I heard.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  03:29:11
On the topic of BeOS: Im sorry to have to say this, but I really believe BeOS is dead. Zeta OS is turning out into some bastardised version of Dano, and OpenBeOS isnt going to get anywere. My plan is to dedicate a Pentium 3 800mhz to BeOS 5.03 Pro.....and never let the system die. *cries*

Its a sad end for such a wodnerful operating system.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  06:40:26
quote:
OS/2 is not dead and is not dieing, eComstation (the new OS/2) is kicking ass in european banks, and is even attracting quite a few developers and users to the platform.

Really? The guy at de desk across from mine is heading a project called "OS/2 phaseout" here at ING...

The only reason OS/2 was still lingering around in a few banks was because of some obscure IBM tools that wouldn't run on any other platform. Those tools are being phased out, as is OS/2, in favour of Windows.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  11:12:22
Personally, I think that opensource projects are great, and if you feel that way about that stuff, if that really does happen, then Linux and the BSDs and OpenOffice and PHP and Apache and nearly the entire internet wouldn't exist today.

I love the BeOS Max Edition and other efforts that are being taken, I think that BeOS is NOT dead, (especially for older computers) and such.

Another great thing abuot opensourcing the things, is that you get to have the OS for free. If you're so in love with OS/2, you'd grab a copy and be enjoying it, would you not?

Also, in response to the original quote. I believe that if they wanted new users, they would advertise it and such...

Quite frankly, like many companies who are switching away from OS/2... I wouldn't be surprised if maybe IBM wants OS/2 dead... there's not thatt many programs native for it, and otherwise, they'd just use it to run older 3.1 programs, (and we all know that that's why windows 3.1 exists...)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  11:23:47
quote:

The second it went opensource or free, developers will just leave because to be frank, who expects a bunch of freeloaders who wouldnt even pay for the OS to pay for software to go with it.

Yes, the people who want software released for free are looking for a free ride. The same can probably be said for the people who petition for the source code to be released. This has little to do with OSS or Free Software.

But I want to reiterate this: FREE SOFTWARE REFERS TO FREEDOM, NOT FREELOADING. If you do not understand this, you are not qualified to demerit OSS. This is because OSS depends upon the contributions of users. If people don't write code, you wouldn't have software. If people didn't write documentation, you wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it. If people didn't offer support, you would not be able to resolve your problems. If people didn't offer hosting, you would not be able to offer the fruits of your labour so freely. The success of OSS indicates that there is a large body of contributors. (Some in the OSS community even consider the meer use of their software as a contribution, because it gets their message out.)

Are there free loaders? You bet. But the same can be said of food banks and shelters. Do you forbid people from offering these services because there are freeloaders? Or do you continue to offer them for the benefit of those who need them? (Equating software to food or shelter is a tad far fetched, but a similar concept applies.)

Ranting aside: I don't think that open sourcing old closed source software will help. The early experience with Mozilla indicates that the code was not necessarily suitable for open source developers. It is probably safe to bet that the only reason for its success was the dire need of a complete browser. Second: you can easily run into licensing (ie. copyright and patent) issues, which are difficult to weed out. Just look at the patent issues which the Linux kernel is facing, and all of it is supposed to be original code. Third: usually an open source project already fills the gap. (That would be Linux in
the case of operating systems.) This could mean two things: a division of resources, or a lack of interest. Both reflect poorly on the OSS
community. Fourth: abandoned code is usually being requested. In otherwords, this represents a step backwards rather than a step forwards. And finally, the original market wouldn't be reflected by the new market. While OSS can coexist with commercial software, the distribution models do not. If you have a slew of OSS developers and users taking over an operating system, it is bound to hurt the existing market. Similarly for commercial developers latching on to open source (the consequences of that are just starting to come out). I think that this last point ties into the thinning Mac bloodline.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  11:32:33
OS/2 is dead from the point of view of the home market. There are quite a few developers who use 'dead' OS's for niche markets where it was previously used. If you never used OS/2 warp go get a cheap copy from ebay and play around with it, its a nice OS from the windows 3.1 era.

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  12:07:11
lol, but Tos/Gem is dead cos I don't like what they did with it, & my new xp box won't run Gemulator nicely.

erm not been romanced by an os since Tos/Gem!

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  18:47:14
i agree, with the part about "free software" being free as in open, not free as in money.

It's like Apple's Darwin. It's a "commercial" product, so to speak, but it uses opensource components, and it is opensource.

Yes, the legal issues and the glayven are also a concern. It's alot like you see with why Apple isn't releaseing A/UX to us...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  21:16:06
GEM isn't a desktop OS no more but is used in Nokia Phones.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  00:26:13
What's next? CP/M on a Ti Calc?
Prodos on a Gameboy?

(I heard that TIs run a version of DOS, and I bet ProDos would go well on a gameboy...)
(with a few recompiles, a rebuild there, some of that tweaked, and lets just swap that for these...)

and BAM

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  00:44:58
quote:

Its probably cheaper and easier to use an old OS that doesnt take up much space then to design a new one. I think my Atari 1040 ST ran GEM and it only has 1mb ram, a new cell phone probably is more powerfull.

Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  00:48:38
Ahh...Linux and BSD I am not complaining about. Or any Opensource projects that started that way.

I am just a bit annoyed about how people imediately think that something to be successful has to be OSS. I might have been a bit enthusiasstic about the introduction into banks . Suprisingly, OS/2 is crawling back in european homes.

MacTO: Im sorry if what I said came out as it did. I am not against the principle of OSS, or in most cases its real use. Lets say an OS has been dead for a long time, and no one was actively developing the code, then let it go OSS. OS/2 is not like this at all.

To clarifly: It is not OSS that I am bitching about, I am just bitching about the view that for something to be successful...it MUST become OSS, especially in the case of OSs.

Sorry for any anger caused.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

alphamatrix

USA
60 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  00:47:22
And I thought you were gonna talk about the Office of Strategic Services.

Classic, LC, LC II, LCIII, Q605, Mac IIsi, Mac IIci, Duo 230, Duo 250, Duo Dock II.Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  14:02:51
quote:

shak goes to get a nokia phone, do they all have GEM, is it like the old GEM? who cares GEM is the best.

quote:

Its probably cheaper and easier to use an old OS that doesnt take up much space then
to design a new one. I think my Atari 1040 ST ran GEM and it only has 1mb ram, a
new cell phone probably is more powerfull.

I used to use Gemulator on my old pc & it was great cos I could really sort out all of my pc files, & could see all the hidden files & theres a prog called disk cake which showed a pie chart of your hard drive so it was easy to see where everything was.

& yeah it is so small & ran so damn fast(devide pc's cpu by 4 & times by three) & i would just recommend that ppl use 2 os's just in case one buggers up.

shaktiman

os 8.1

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  07:15:29
quote:
Suprisingly, OS/2 is crawling back in european homes.

Ummm... No, it isn't. It's dead. Dead as a dodo. You're starting to sound like an Amiga user.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
sleepGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  10:30:50
the homes of who? bankers?

On the not of Amiga...

Amiga machines ARE coming back into style.
A popular thing to do is to run a MOL program with a linux OS on an Amiga G3/G4 box. (Usually it's YDL)

Also, IIRC, (the only atari 1040 st I've seen) runs TOS, not GEM...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  13:24:15
quote:

TOS is the OS, GEM is the GUI environment.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
sleepGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  13:27:09
quote:

Atari st's run Tos/Gem,

like in windows it would be Dos/Gem

yeah?

Tos is the bussiness end & GEM is the Graphical Environment Manager

Which after consideration is the bit that I really miss, the friendly efficient interface.

shaktiman

os 8.1

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  18:50:35
It reminds me much of System 7, except for the whole bit about running multiple applications at once, which would make it more like System 6. (TOS/GEM, that is...) (I also haven't seen it in so long, so all I really remember, is that it was all stored in ROM and the desktop was green-tastic)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.