All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 68KMLA.ORG Server News
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  21:20:00
In light of the recent outage, I know everyone is a bit jittery about the reliability of the forums.

I have been talking with Coxy, and I have converted the entire database for the MLA into MySQL. It's just a matter of testing the new server, fixing some annoying errors that are poping up and soon we can go to a more reliable forum system.

So, don't lose hope yet, we are working on a better MLA for all.

Just for facts:

The new host will use the exact same forum software, there will be zero changes to what we already have. Please do not ask for any extras or changes, it's going to be exactly as it is now, only more reliable. The only real change is going from Access to mySQL.

When all the glitches are worked out, members will be invited to test out the new forum to finalize that it works properly under the load we have. (Posts made on the test board are lost when the final one goes active.)

`BoJ

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  22:29:11
Great. Can't wait to see it!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  06:39:17
NIICE!

(I guess all that lobbying worked )

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  08:14:04
thanks BoJ!

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  12:14:12
cool ... one thing ... are you going to be running the latest version of Snitz ... if not ... then it might be worth it to get rid of any bugs that might be lurking

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  16:15:35
We are gonna stay with the current version of Snitz we use unless Coxy decides different.

Update: I got some of the glitches fixed...so now I have to put the database up. You can see a half empty shell at www.68kmla.org/forum/ and yes I know it's messed up..but it's just a shell..none of the important data is there....so I'm going to be updating the database. So if the database gives errors, it's just me. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  16:48:48
went over to the forum. I really like the fact that it is 68kmla.org/forums. . .such a nice ring to it!

I know I really appreciate the work being done to better the forums. I think a lot of integrity rides on the reliability of a community's information. The information here has always been reliable, but accessing it has not been. So thanks to all who are working on this!Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  06:26:29
Obviously someone is going to back up all the data on this site..... right?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  10:56:59
quote:
Obviously someone is going to back up all the data on this site..... right?

that is sort of the point of the whole exercise

looks good so far tBoJ

Orcadian MLA Division

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  20:22:51
LMAO...

http://nonameproductions.dyndns.org/error.jpg look what I got when I tried to go to the new forums... lol... I thought it was hillarious. I can't wait for the new server to be up... no more errors like that or the Accessi database errors hopefully.

Edited by - foetoid on 18 Nov 2003 20:27:26Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  22:21:20
Bear with us as we get a huge hammer and give Windows a big thrashing!

Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  23:14:39
quote:

Bear with us as we get a huge hammer and give Windows a big thrashing!

sounds like a plan to me!!!!!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  05:15:26
That sounds like fun. Mind if i join in?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  06:25:06
/me stands in front of windows.

When you break glass, esp. with a hammer, it spreads EVERYWHERE...

It'd be best to recycle this one

(What did windows do anyway?) (*that it deserves to be thrashed/borked) ?

b'sides, your current errors aren't because of the database engine specifically, from what I'm told that host (webicane) is down... (quite sad too...) (or their MySQL servers at least..

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  07:01:48
No both Webicane, The DGC and GSM are online, it's just that the Windows Server is having an intermittant problem with the firewall and ODBC connections.

I do have MS SQL that can be used, but I am unsure if ODBC is required for this or not. Unlike php, ASP does not seem to have the ability to interconnect with other data sources as readily as php. One reason why when you run a php board you seldom require ODBC since php is compiled with support for databases already whereas ASP isn't so lucky.

If I can get my hands on ChiliSoft ASP I might get better luck running this on a Linux host, because frankly they are more reliable.

The main issues at this point are that the Access database has a number of key differences from MySQL that creates problems..for example, tables are missing that tally posts and keeps them organized. This is why the original test board acted odd when people posted because it's trying to index posts to update the list of topics..but the area where it's supposed to store this information doesn't exist.

The other drawback is that as of yet I don't have SSH access to do quicker database backups etc., which means if something goes wrong with the database like the other day, I would have to manually cut and paste 40MB worth of text to recreate the database. (I've done this twice) So I am hoping I can work something out.

If I still can't get the information sorted out, I will see what ODBC options the current host has and if it works, I can still host the MySQL database which would reduce the errors. (MySQL is online and running since I have other databases which are functional at this point, it's just that Windows ODBC can't get through for some reason.)

So, at this point, I am somewhat unsure. But something will get worked out.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  10:03:17
Ok, so the hosts are all up, but now it's a firewall problem?

ouchies...

(still doesn't sound like a windows proble though...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  20:46:40
As soon as I can get a replacement hard drive for the Intel Server, that server will run the new board. (Current hard disk is slow as mollasses)

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  21:59:05
What kind of drive are you looking for? I might be able to help you out there.

--Eric

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  05:19:26
Well, once I get a 50-Pin SCSi cable or a 68-pin SCSi cable I'm going to hook up the SCSI SCA drive up and see if it will work on the PC. The PC has a SCSi card so SCSi would be a good choice.

If I can get that working I'm all good. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  16:57:02
Any news. I have not been able to get to 68kmla.org for awhile now.

--Eric

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  03:19:31
The servives of Webicane are actually closing out and my hardware died. I don't know if it's the logic board or the cpu.

Plus I had Win2000 with IIS up and running but trying to troubleshoot ASp and other factors is very hard.

At this point everything is on hold since I'm unsure where this is all heading. Maybe we can all just pitch in and buy hosting...it makes it easier for all concerned.

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  18:22:59
I might possibly be able to get us a deal on hosting. How much bandwidth do we use?
The company I am thinking of is level9hosting.com. They are who I use for my hosting and have been very reliable. Also setup is very easy and includes yabb software. Though we could most likely still use the snitz software if we wanted to.

--Eric

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  20:29:08
The MLA uses roughly 5GB a month, although we might want to opt for slightly more as a buffer.

Depending on the monthly price, I know that my next PayCheque I can put 50 dollars Canadian towards it. (Next cheque is end of January, around 27th)

We can talk about this further and I can discuss with Coxy a little about it. Like I said, I'd be happy to pitch in 50 bucks a year, maybe more.

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  20:57:24
I know we can 15GB with 300MB space for 10usd per month.

If we can get 10 members to pitch in 1usd per month we would be set.

And I was mistaken on board software it is PhpBB

--Eric

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  08:20:00
quote:
Also setup is very easy and includes yabb software. Though we could most likely still use the snitz software if we wanted to.

unless they specifically state they offer ASP hosting then snitz is a no go

Orcadian MLA Division

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  18:54:17
http://www.amhosting.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Nosupporthosting&file=index

AMHosting (I use them) has fantastic deals on their expert hosting. (No support means that they don't support you with basic level stuff like, "How do I use FTP" and stuff like that. But if the server breaks, or it's out of your control, they'll fix it. I personally use their PLESK full support hosting)

$7/mo for 500MB space and 20GB transfer. Linux.

They also offer some Windows hosting which would support the Snitz software. $8/mo for 75MB space and 6GB support (fully supported account, they'll help set up Snitz and things like that if you want for free)

Now, to pay for my own hosting. I run ads on my sites, Google AdSense. They're content text ads so they reflect the content of the site. I think they could work great for this site! I made $47 last month which covers my costs ($15) 3 times plus $2 left over after that! That was for 278 clicks. Cost per click varies. Some ads can pay up to $1 and some as low as 1¢, it depends on the content of the page. I implore you to check it out. http://www.adsense.com (note, not affiliated with Google, blah blah blah, just a happy user)

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4/700 (main)
iBook G3/700 (portable)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead but I keep it)

Edited by - Mike on 17 Dec 2003 18:55:11Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  00:44:54
just throwing things out, but this forum software is ass.

If you have everything in SQL, you should use it with a PHP-based system. It's cleaner, saves on bandwidth, easier to code, etc. but I digress.

I'll probably just point the 68kmla.ca to this and keep the URL cloaked..
http://www.deadgeneration.com/68kmla/
..once i get my content scripts prepared. Need them to go through my text files and spit out XML. Perfect for this sort of thing.

I won't be doing anything for quite some time most likely, but does anyone but me actually use 68kmla.ca?

Liberated 68xxx Macs: IIsi, IIci (2), LC II, Classic II (2)

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs, Power Mac 7500/100

Other:
Color StyleWriter 2400, AppleCD 150 (cd-caddy type!), Apple 12" Monochrome Display, Apple Color Display (13")Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  07:07:41
Well I have new hardware on the way, A Dual Pentium 2 400Mhz System, 256MB RAM.

Since it's not the fastest in the world it's nice that it has 2 CPU's which means even when I'm gaming, doing graphics etc., if I set the IIS system to use one CPU, it means in a performance gain.

It will have 2 18GB SCSI hard disks attached. So I think that part is good to go, I just have to wait for it to be shipped.

I'll keep folks posted.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  07:24:51
Win2k would work out great for that system. The only dual cpu system I have is a dual ppro server with overdrives (basically a p2-333 with 512k cache running at full cpu speed) with 3x128mb ECC EDO buffered memory. The machine is very responsive no matter what it is doing.

Go to Top of Page

Xanathus
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  10:44:13
quote:

I'll probably just point the 68kmla.ca to this and keep the URL cloaked..
http://www.deadgeneration.com/68kmla/
..once i get my content scripts prepared. Need them to go through my text files and spit out XML. Perfect for this sort of thing.

I won't be doing anything for quite some time most likely, but does anyone but me actually use 68kmla.ca?

I just tried your site. It doesn't work well with 68K browsers. Looks good with MSIE5, though.

I'm new here, and this is the first I've known about the 68kmla.ca site. I've been using Liturature Classics.

John Gilbert, Xanathus Studios

68K: Powerbook Duo 280c, Quadra 840av (2 of 'em), Quadra 950, IIcx, Performa 460, etc. (a lot of "etc.")
PPC: 9600 (G4/700), 9500 (G3/400) & 8500 (G3/300)Go to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  11:16:56
Is it just me. Or is the fact that the 68K MACINTOSH FORUMS are hosted, and may still be hosted, on a f***ing WINDOWS machine, just DISGUSTING? It makes me vomit! I understand Literature Classics was chosen because it was available/free at the time but now there are much better choices!

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4/700 (main)
iBook G3/700 (portable)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead but I keep it)Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  13:18:05
quote:

Is it just me. Or is the fact that the 68K MACINTOSH FORUMS are hosted, and may still be hosted, on a f***ing WINDOWS machine, just DISGUSTING? It makes me vomit! I understand Literature Classics was chosen because it was available/free at the time but now there are much better choices!

Yes its on a windows machine, they would have used a SE/30 mac but it was busy doing nuclear weapons modeling at the time.

Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  15:28:37
no my friend. . .it is not just you! But, is there any cheap hosting that is done on macs? It would be sweet if there were. . .

either way, I prefer FreeBSD. . . partly made right here in Boulder, CO!

Edited by - wisof on 22 Dec 2003 15:30:26Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.