PowerBook
 PB100 power manager won't boot
Author Topic  
ElBaroni
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  18:51:33
Hi there. I suspect the machine is toast, but if anyone has an idea (or wants a toasty PB100) then let me know!

When I try to boot my PB100:
1. I have to insert, unplug and reinsert the power adaptor several times before it will boot.
2. While I'm doing so, the hard drive will spin up, but no beep and no screen.
3. When it finally does boot up, it goes straight to sad mac - no bing, no screen activity, straight to sad mac. This is the code, with definitions (http://www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/486/60/sad2.htm)

$14 - Power Manager processor was unable to turn on all the power to the board. This may have been due to a communication problem with the Power Manager. If so, the minor error code contains a Power Manager error code, explained in the next section.

$CD38 - Power Manager was never ready to start handshake.

This sounds really bad. The lithium (?) backup batteries are dead, but I don't want to muck around getting new ones unless that's definitely the problem.

Help!

ElBaroni

My 128k broke, my 512k had beer poured in the top of it, and my 512ke blew up. I'm resorting to an SE/30.

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  03:24:17
If you are certain that the lithium cells are toast (it's easy to check; unlike the other PBs, the 100 has a nice sliding tray with the three coin cells; nice!), then I would tend to suspect them. Bad PRAM batteries can cause all sorts of pathologies. Those cells are not expensive, if you shop around. I found replacements here in the States for about a dollar each. Perhaps you will be as lucky.

If you know what you are doing, you can temporarily recharge those cells with an external, current-limited power supply. Push 10mA through them for a half-hour or so. That usually brings them up enough for an experiment. But do this only if you really understand lithium batteries. If not, do not try it; you can be severely injured by hot jets of lithium goo.

Go to Top of Page

ElBaroni
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  03:20:08
I'm not sure I like the sound of 'hot jets of lithium goo,' but I might wander off to Tandy and get some batteries...

Cheers for replying

My 128k broke, my 512k had beer poured in the top of it, and my 512ke blew up. I'm resorting to an SE/30.Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  10:10:58
The lithium batteries in the PB100 (CR2032) are not rechargable. A PB100 should boot just fine without them, though.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

ElBaroni
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  04:27:36
quote:

A PB100 should boot just fine without them, though.

That's what I figured. They've been flat for ages, and I've never had this sort of trouble before.

Thanks fro answering.

My 128k broke, my 512k had beer poured in the top of it, and my 512ke blew up. I'm resorting to an SE/30.Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  09:54:33
Are you ready to do a little soldering?

This is actually a known problem with PB100's. Solder joint for the AC adapter connector are known to crack and go intermittent. I've fixed a few of these in liberating PB100's. Diagnostics can't handle power spikes while it's running so you get the Sad Mac.

You'll have to take apart the bottom half of the PB100 completely so you can access the bottom of the motherboard. Good luck!Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  17:36:04
Re: Hot jets of lithium goo, rechargeability, etc.

For temporary "what if" investigations (as in "what if the problem is caused by a dead battery?"), you may in fact attempt to recharge nonrechargeable lithium cells (just as you may partially recharge other nonrechargeable cells, such as carbon-zinc and alkaline types). But you have to be gentle, careful, and vigilant. It's not for the casual or careless (hence my warning about hot jets of Li goo). A gentle charge for a short time will give them enough juice to restore functionality for PRAM backup for a short time, certainly long enough to diagnose whether problems lie elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.