Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  16:04:53
OK I don't know the exact name of the form factor, but these:

http://www.amigaos4downunder.org/aos4_sydney/pages/DSC00070.htm

would be nice in a Q605. I'm sure it'd fit, needs no risers. has networking, video, cpu, usb, drive etc all on the motherboard, PPC card too - either g3 or g4 - and all in a board about the size of a cd jewel case.

Finding a PSU that small might be a pain, but still...

Only problem is I'm awfully skeptical when it comes to anything Amiga named, as it could be hellish expensive.

Still, a 1GHz G4 Q605 .... yum

dana

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  16:51:27
I just got myself a Quadra 605 so I'm with you on this Dana but sadly my money factor is at like Zero.

:(

However I might be finding out about making a metal 605 Style case like you always wanted. ;-) I just need to find a place that does custom jobs and take the 605 in and let them make a mold and go away. :D

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  18:04:53
MicroATX...

They do make PCs that are literally as small as a cd player, and it's cool looking...

I would be afraid of losing a computer that small...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  18:49:55
Yeah, but this board couldnt' run Mac OS. And if you found a way to get it running, Apple would sue your ass off.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  19:39:02
I never liked my Ass where they put it anyways.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  19:46:58
But think of all the other HORRIBlE places they could've put it... :shudders:

b'sides, you could have like, a 3 GHz 030 with the power that board probably has ;) and you'd have 802.11b/g and USB

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  23:40:20
quote:

Yeah, but this board couldnt' run Mac OS. And if you found a way to get it running, Apple would sue your ass off.

It won't run it directly, but does under Mac-on-Linux. Admittedly I'd like it partly for that reason, and partly cos a PPC pure linux box would still be very very nice.

dana
(y'could almost fit 2 in a Q605...)

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  06:14:33
Ooh yes, good point! I forgot about MOL!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  10:18:49
Well Dana, your dream of a PPC 605 is now possible. Here is a brief rundown of what you need and where you get it:

PSU:

The only PSU that is close enough of a fit is the HEC-200SR-T which measures at width: 81mm(3.2"), Length: 190mm(7.5"), Height: 44mm(1.75"). The first two figures fit nicely in the 605 form however the last one is a cause for concern. The original PSu from a 605 is only 1.5" tall and this one is 1.75". There might be enough of slack space between the top of the old 605 PSU and the lid to make it fit snug, but I'm sure that will be just a cosmetic detail and would work well. One bonus of this PSu is that the fan is almost exactly where it should be to match the venting holes in the original 605 case. (You will also need to break the existing logic board mounting tabs for it to fit in.)

CD-ROM Drive:

The Mini PPC board you linked to does not have the ability to use Floppy Drives from what I can see so it's a good thing.. because any modern system would be useless without a CD drive. Although there are external solutions, you can fit an internal CD in the 605 case if some work is done. First the floppy drive needs to be removed along with the mounting brackets. However, you need to measure high high the floppy access point is so that when you mount the CD drive later you can make sure it is high enough to match the opening for the floppy drive. Sadly, in this case this means sawing or breaking them off, they are somewhat part of the case mold. You also have to remove the internal speaker and break the tabs for it as well.

The CD-ROM to use is most likely is the one at http://www.bixnet.com/in24xslimnot.html. Because the drive is dependent on an existing notebook carrier or slide, you will need to device a non intrusive way to mount the drive. The best option would be using a glue gun around the edges. Use small wood chips to raise the drive if it needs to be raised to the right height to match the floppy access point measured earlier. (So the CD is in basic alignment with the outer case holes) Also a small converter will be required so the drive will work. You will have about one inch of space between the PSU and the CD to fit any cables.

Hard Disk:

Thankfully if the low footprint of the motherboard is good enough, there should be no issue with using the existing drive rack. Just replace with standard IDE. You might want/need a longer cable though.

Logic Board:

Mounting the logic board won't be that easy because the 605 uses a special plastic tabs to mount the logic board. The simplest method is to place the logic board in the optimum position and make small marks where the mounting holes are. Drill holes and put screws in to hold it in place. There most likely will not be room to put any special mount tabs in, so something a little more rough will have to do. As long as both ends of the screws are insulated and have electrician's tape covering the motherboard to prevent damage all should be good. There are several types of screws that PC users mount their logic boards with and one of these might work. You could use a combination screw/nut to hold it in place. On each hole where mounting screws go in, on the top and bottom put a small piece of electrician's tape on and carefully puncture it. Then smooth the tape into the hole and put the screws in. (Screw goes from the bottom of the case upwards...so the head where a screw drivers meets it will always be facing the ground.)

To make the bottom look nicer you can use a small bit for a Dremel and drill/clear the area where drill holes are so that a small depth is wider so the screw heads fit flush with the plastic bottom.

Logic Board Ports:

Once the logic board is in and you are sure it's good, you can then mark the areas that need to be cleared for the back ports. Using a Dremel is probably the easiest method. Previous holes used in the original 605 case design can be either filled with some form of putty or if you can get some plastic to fill them (small plastic squares). Putty works nicely because the ports can be gently blocked from inside using a temporary piece of plastic or wood taped to the case. You then apply the putty and let it set inside the port and sand/clean it to be flush with the rest of the case.

Most logic boards come with a metal sheet that fits most standard cases and is designed for the specific ports on the given board, so this can be placed inside the now empty backside before the logic board is placed in. The mounted logic board with the screws intact and the back of the case should keep it firmly in place. (As long as you keep some area of the original plastic there and only Dremel out the required holes)

Outer Case Changes:

Because of the wide array of devices inside the 605 case, you are going to need an extra fan located over top the logic board to try and draw as much heat away from drives. There should be enough room for it to mount directly on the top 605 case hood. Use a long cable to allow you to open the case without yanking the fan from it's chord. Either crazy glue/hot glue the fan in place and drill some vent holes in the top or drill nice holes so the screws can go flush and mount the fan.

Placing the 605 hood on, you will need to measure to see how much you need to Dremel away from the original floppy opening to make the CD useable. That is somewhat simple.

Power On:

The only last issue is how to turn the thing on because ATX does not use switches on the actual PSu but rather another switch on the case. There is room so that on either the right or left side you can drill a small neat hole and put a small switch which you can buy at any PC shop to connect to the logic board and use to power the unit on. You could even put it on the back.. or if you are Ok with tight squeezes, you could fit it in between the CD/Hard Disk.

Whew!

Anyways Dana, if you decide to give it a try let me know!

Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  14:11:23
quote:
OK I don't know the exact name of the form factor

that would be Mini-ITX ....

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  22:57:50
Is there Mini-ITX PowerPC boards?

I know that TerraSoft (the YDL people!) have that Brique thingy...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  07:28:52
quote:

the amiga ones are ... they were announced on mini-itx.com, but i cant seem to find a link to it (that whole month ... october i think ... has disappeared from the archive)

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  07:48:02
quote:

quote:

the amiga ones are ... they were announced on mini-itx.com, but i cant seem to find a link to it (that whole month ... october i think ... has disappeared from the archive)

That was a little break in their system I noticed, that only lasted a few days, it's fixed now and there's info about them again. It's very VERY interesting.

Even better are some 3/4 inch high small power supplies that'll definitely fit inside a Q605 - 70 to 100w, but if all I'm running extra is a HD that's fine by me.

What may be more work is getting the onboard radeon to work with a mac monitor that suits the look of the 605, AND getting an ADB Keyboard II with mouse working with the new board. I'm sure it's all possible, but while getting the board working and powered and inside a 605 is just a case of cutting and cramming things in where they'll fit, the monitor/keyboard/mouse stuff may need a bit more logic - something I have no idea about!

The look of the whole finished thing is important =)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  08:13:54
quote:

. . . while getting the board working and powered and inside a 605 is just a case of cutting and cramming things in where they'll fit, the monitor/keyboard/mouse stuff may need a bit more logic - something I have no idea about!

I'm pretty sure the ADB -> USB adapter I use for my G4 would work fine with a PC, check the specs on available units.

"FeetsPC" just doesn't have the same ring to it tho . . .

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  08:24:34
quote:

quote:

. . . while getting the board working and powered and inside a 605 is just a case of cutting and cramming things in where they'll fit, the monitor/keyboard/mouse stuff may need a bit more logic - something I have no idea about!

I'm pretty sure the ADB -> USB adapter I use for my G4 would work fine with a PC, check the specs on available units.

Oh that would be -excellent-. There's that fixed!

and it's a mini-ITX PPC board... so it's slightly closer to mac-ness in some sense than the average PC. I'll peek around for those adaptors. ta!

dana

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  11:09:43
MacOnLinux, and ye've got yourself a Mac OS X quadra 605!!!

VGA>SVGA Adaptors (or VGA>MacII) adaptors do exist, they're hard to figure out settings for though... (or maybe that was Mac>VGA...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  21:37:36
quote:

. . . and it's a mini-ITX PPC board... so it's slightly closer to mac-ness in some sense than the average PC. I'll peek around for those adaptors. ta!

You've inspired me again, you maniac! You got me thinking about fitting an OS9/PCI capable board in the 605 and I just finished transplanting a 7500 mobo into the floorpan of an LCII (I've only got one 605) and it fits fine . . . sorta!

Eventually, I'm planning on breaking thru the roof of the 605, up into the floor of my Portrait Display's case. Just need to find a short depth donor 15" CRT or snag a 14.1" LCD refurb to replace the grayscale RFI transmitter inside that case. I may go that way anyway to let me install an array of optical/removable drive bays behind a slide aside front bezel.

It looks like the plastics will piece together nicely, though I'llhave to get by with just two of the PCI slots.

Does anybody know if the floppy drive in a 605 will work reliably upside down? If I can live with just half the DIMM slots populated and trim down the front guide for the ROM DIMM slot a smidge, I think the floppy drive will fit over the mobo! It lines up JUST RIGHT with the slot!

jt .

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  22:16:10
quote:
VGA>SVGA Adaptors (or VGA>MacII) adaptors do exist, they're hard to figure out settings for though... (or maybe that was Mac>VGA...

if you need a source for some of these…
www.baucomcomputers.com
[once in a while they have a good deal on older G3 PBs too ]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  23:15:41
Has anybody ever noticed that it looks very possible to take a slice out of the middle of a 7500 case, dropping the lid, to hack a slightly oversized Quadra 605 inspired design. Drop in an IDE Controller, a Slot Loader, a CrescendoPCI cAccelerator and you'd have a Quadra 7505 G4/800/CD!

jt .

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  23:25:26

The new amiga PPC boards are as far as I know more like a new PC motherboard form factor.

They come in a DIY kit and I think they are G3 based.

I've seen a new amiga running Mac On Linux running OSX.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  23:29:57

Heres a link to the G3 amiga PPC board.

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone/pictures.php

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.