All Forums
 Balloon Help
 AppleTalk Port #
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  08:51:50
Ok,we have no 'networking' forum (ahem,idea mayhaps?) so i amgoing to askmysilly boring question here. What is the Port # for appletalk Protocol? I know i should be able to find this out,but I have heard several different things, and from the *little* i have checked out my router, I cant figure it out. Also, Does Win2k support AppleTalk now? Someone said it does. I'm on a (ohapplegods pleaseforgiveme) PeeCee at schoolright now (so much for apple's education market :-P ) and want to jamto my tunes at school, hehehe.(well and transfer files important to the very survival of the human race) Thanks all.

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  10:37:29
This is a good question. I'm still not sure whether Win2k supports AppleTalk, though I have heard talk about it. What OS is the mac that you'll be connecting to? I know in 9.1, the file sharing panel has built-in AppleTalk over TCP/IP settings, and all you'd have to do is enter the given IP address in the remote machine. In older OS's, I believe you have to get a copy of AppleTalk IP or something similar to be able to do this.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  12:47:29
quote:

What is the Port # for appletalk Protocol?

according to apple's knowledgebase...

"From behind a network firewall or proxy server, some users may have difficulties mounting their iDisks. iTools uses the AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP), which operates on TCP port 548. If your firewall is blocking outbound connections on this port, then you will not be able to use iDisk. Unfortunately, it is not possible to configure iDisk to work through a HTTP or SOCKS proxy."

everything else I could find about appleshare had it as port 548.

There is a little more to networking over ethernet with appletalk - as in, you can connect to a server either via appletalk over IP, or via TCP/IP using the AFP protocol as above - thats appleshare (as far as I know it, anyhows).

As for pure AppleTalk over IP... no idea on whether that uses the same port or not, sorry!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  14:34:07
Hmmmmm thanks. Doesnt matter if Win2k supports or not, those stupid admins at school blocked privleges to do taht. I'm still going to continue though, as i have converted my friends to macintosh and so i can transfer my music there. Yay! Ill let you ppl know what all I do since u are all SOOOO intereseted :-P.

Thanks dana(and anyone else that replies)

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.