All Forums
 LC / Performa
 uses for LCII's
Author Topic  
Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2003 :  21:37:27
i've got like 5 of these things and i feel bad letting them sit around, not doing anything. i'd just give them away, but i've tried and nobody wants them. (slow? ) anybody have any ideas what i could use them for? they've all got maxed RAM and 500MB hard drives.

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  00:48:12
Over the years, I've given a bunch away to seniors centers, neighbors' kids, cousins and nephews/nieces. They're fine for educational games, word processing, email and light web surfing (they handle a 33.6 modem fine; a 56k modem will work, but at 33.6). My relatives like these older macs because maintenance is easy, and if the kids spill soda on the keyboard, or cram a salami sandwich into the floppy slot, no one gets upset. The seniors center folks like 'em because they're just plain friendlier and easier than pcs. It's a introduction to the world of computers and email.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  06:09:10
I agree. A pizzabox is a wonderful machine to use for your first baby steps into the big world of computing. Matter of fact, until grade 5 when our classroom got the Classic and the then brand new LC575, the only computers i used were the LCII in the classroom at school and the LCIII at home. Matter of fact, the LCII i used in grade 3 was the machine that got me hooked onto the Mac, was the reason we got the LCIII, and is the reason i am here, sitting in front of this iMac, typing this very message.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  11:10:43
maclvr, is that LCII still around? or was it part of the school's? Either way, I am thankful for its existence since we have such a good resource!

as far as the LCIIs. . .
my first instinct would be to figure out a way to make em all work together. I once saw this installation that had an array of 16 monitors (4x4)each hooked up to a very small skinny computer. this was before I was into macs, so I was not sure what kinds of macs they were, but they were very similar to the LCIIs. Anyhow, these 16 machines were connected to a larger server type box. The server told the computers what to show on the monitor. you could show one image on the full array, or divide em up and get different effects. All of the computers booted off of a floppy, so if one went down, you could swap another one in its place, toss the floppy in, and it was back online. I would love to figure out how to do this. If anyone has suggestions, let me know. . .

so I would either take on a project like that, or find a place that needs them, like tomlee said.
good luck!

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Edited by - wisof on 09 Nov 2003 11:11:36Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  21:34:15
Nah. The LCII in the classroom at school belonged to the school. The LCIII that we got, however, was ours, and I still have and use it. Matter of fact, her tenth birthday is coming up soon...18th of November to be exact.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.