68k Conquests
 Added to my collection…
Author Topic  
AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  10:20:46
Went to a swap meet on Saturday, and scored some odds and ends…

A Scanner for my G4 (which I will not speak of.)

Two powerbook batteries, (one dead, one almost) one of which is the type that has screws in it, but I have no idea how to crack it open to replace the cells, a duo keyboard to replace the keyboard in my upgraded Duo 2300, it still doesn't work… and, the highlight of the collection, a Duo 280c, sans battery, but it has 12 megs of ram and a 400 Mb hard drive, and had the Modem port thingy installed (but I don't have a dongle for it, nor do I have a dock) and the prevoius owner had removed parts of the System so I couldn't even establish a localtalk connection, oh well, maybe next swappie…

AusNick

bYrd
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  20:40:29
Gday AusNick,

where in Australia do you find swap meets with Mac hardware? I'm in Melbourne, and have never found any. Although I did get a PB1400/66 for $50 a while back at the Camberwell swap meet, I haven't seen anything since!

JB

Macs Liberated: 3 x LC475s, PB100, 2 x LCIIs, dozens of Classic Macs, IICX, LC580 @ 40mHz.Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  06:23:56
G'day bYrd,

Swap meets, well, the one I went to on saturday, was held by AUSOM, we do 'em every six months, June and November, at Box Hill TAFE. It's rather cool, especially when it gets towards the end of the day, thengs get discounted, then discounted more, then stuff starts going for free, and that when I have to stop myself, because my parents don't want me bringing home any more "junk", so this time I had to limit myself to what I could carry in my backpack...I need a bigger backpack. I'm kind of spewing now because there was a box of Powerbooks spare parts where I got the 280c, keyboard and batteries from, I could have had the lot for $50, it was a big box too, the guy standing next to me was ratting through it to build up a machine out of the lot, he gave up in the end, but I would have had a field day, even if half the stuff didn't work, I would have been well stocked for spare parts.

Well scored on the 1400, I picked up a 1400cs/117 a couple of years ago for $100, and that was a bargain at the time, speaking of which there was a mostly complete 1400cs/133 in the box of parts, which I developed instant lust for, but held back, as I'd probably spend more on the machine to get it working than it was worth. My next swappie item will be a Dock, Minidock or Microdock.

AusNick

Go to Top of Page

bYrd
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  23:55:43
Gday AusNick,

... nice to meet another 68KMLA'er from Melbourne. I used to be an AUSOM member in my teens as well, and it was good for a while until the amount of younger people dropped off ... and standing talking to those geriatric Apple II or ClarisWorks guys sucked. I was in a SIG called 'Youth and Adventure' aka 'let's pirate shit and play Marathon on our LC475s'. A mate and I had a stall at the first ever AUSOM swap meet, and made a killing selling Apple II and Classic Mac hardware which our school had thrown out! And like you said, by the end of the day most of the unsold stuff was given away.

Shame about not being able to get those spare parts ... 1400's still fetch quite a bit on eBay. When is the next swap meet?

JB.

Macs Liberated: 3 x LC475s, PB100, 2 x LCIIs, dozens of Classic Macs, IICX, LC580 @ 40mHz.Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  07:45:37
G'day bYrd,

Cool, another AUSOM member, well, ex-AUSOM member. Sadly Y&A (Piracy SIG) is no more, the Committee killed it a couple of years ago, I was the last SIG leader of it, and boy, did we pirate stuff. Ah, the memories.... I took over the Book Library until the CoM killed that as well, it wasn't all thier fault, Box Hill TAFE wanted their projector room back, and so now AUSOM's on-site storage is reduced to a metal cupboard in a public hallway, but I digress....

Anyway, The next swappie is in June 2004, be there or be square, seroiusly. 'course, you could pop along to a meeting before then, we could meet, it'd be rather cool, get a 68KMLA resistance cell happening in AUSOM. :-). They've gone all G-series and OSuX, standards have really slipped.

AusNick

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  16:45:50
quote:
and that when I have to stop myself, because my parents don't want me bringing home any more "junk", so this time I had to limit myself to what I could carry in my backpack...I need a bigger backpack.

I swear we must be brothers...i'm in the same position with my hobby and my parents...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

bYrd
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  16:52:30
AusNick,

Had to laugh when i saw that AUSOM got Y&A up and running again, only to stop it for the same reasons that they did with us! I'm lying when I say that we all had 475s playing Marathon, only the 'rich kids' had those. Nah my brother and I had a Mac Plus 2.5MB RAM /20HD, but we still leeched games quite happily. I've still got two large disc boxes of rare 68K games that I should upload to the Mac Underdogs site before they are lost. Used to have some cool hardware come along too, I remember some dude came along with an ADB steering wheel & pedals (to play Test Drive II with) - never seen one of those since. So no-one gets around with 68K hardware anymore at AUSOM? That's just plain wrong.

Since I plan to move out soon, I cleaning out a fair deal of my Mac hardware - do you want any of it? I've in Balwyn. Off the top of my head, PB100, IIcx, Quadra 610/6100, 7100/80, SE, Plus.

Email is jbird@alphalink.com.au

JB

bYrd
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  16:54:15
Which reminds me, who else is from Melbourne - maclover?

So far there is
- me
- AusNick
- Gothikon

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  02:43:16
MacLover is in Queensland isn't he? As you said I'm in Melbourne. Speaking of 68ks in Melbourne a guy at work said Melbourne Uni threw out a bunch of Q 950s after failing to sell them not so long ago!!!

Perhaps the 3 of us should meet up at the next Ausom, I've missed 2 now, well I think there have only been 2 since I've been in Aus, maybe 3. I was always under the impression the swap meet wasn't that good, as in there wasn't much cheap stuff. If you;re looking for more Apple hardware I'm looking to lose the following due to to ta total lack of space.

][gs with a few upgrades, Platinum ][e with a whole bunch of cards. An Amiga 500 and a PowerTower Pro, board case PSU ram, no video or CPU card though. Probably some other stuff.

--------
Apple ][e. Apple ][gs, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (300 603ev) 2*6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  05:27:55
Yep. I'm in QLD.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  07:02:10
quote:

quote:
and that when I have to stop myself, because my parents don't want me bringing home any more "junk", so this time I had to limit myself to what I could carry in my backpack...I need a bigger backpack.

I swear we must be brothers...i'm in the same position with my hobby and my parents...

"•••• em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Folks, please forgive me, I haven't yet sussed out how to quote properly.

maclover5,

Brother!

So, I guess this makes us brothers in arms

AusNick

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  07:09:31
G'day

Can I come & live in Australia?

Anyhow I think I will be going to Canada, to take advantage of the good land prices, let me know if Australian bargains come along though?

Anyhow well done on the swap meet(s)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  07:09:38
quote:

AusNick,

Had to laugh when i saw that AUSOM got Y&A up and running again, only to stop it for the same reasons that they did with us! I'm lying when I say that we all had 475s playing Marathon, only the 'rich kids' had those. Nah my brother and I had a Mac Plus 2.5MB RAM /20HD, but we still leeched games quite happily. I've still got two large disc boxes of rare 68K games that I should upload to the Mac Underdogs site before they are lost. Used to have some cool hardware come along too, I remember some dude came along with an ADB steering wheel & pedals (to play Test Drive II with) - never seen one of those since. So no-one gets around with 68K hardware anymore at AUSOM? That's just plain wrong.

Since I plan to move out soon, I cleaning out a fair deal of my Mac hardware - do you want any of it? I've in Balwyn. Off the top of my head, PB100, IIcx, Quadra 610/6100, 7100/80, SE, Plus.

Email is jbird@alphalink.com.au

JB

Macs Liberated: 3 x LC475s, PB100, 2 x LCIIs, dozens of Classic Macs, IICX, LC580 @ 40mHz.

bYrd,

Yeah, Nick Pyers resurrected Y&A in the form of the Network Gaming SIG, and yeah, it did die for the same reasons as Y&A, mind you, we pirated the crap out of everything.

As for the machines you want to part with, it's all good, I'll take whatever I can get at the moment, anyway, I'll email you and we'll work something out

Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  07:27:25
quote:

MacLover is in Queensland isn't he? As you said I'm in Melbourne. Speaking of 68ks in Melbourne a guy at work said Melbourne Uni threw out a bunch of Q 950s after failing to sell them not so long ago!!!

Perhaps the 3 of us should meet up at the next Ausom, I've missed 2 now, well I think there have only been 2 since I've been in Aus, maybe 3. I was always under the impression the swap meet wasn't that good, as in there wasn't much cheap stuff. If you;re looking for more Apple hardware I'm looking to lose the following due to to ta total lack of space.

][gs with a few upgrades, Platinum ][e with a whole bunch of cards. An Amiga 500 and a PowerTower Pro, board case PSU ram, no video or CPU card though. Probably some other stuff.

Gothikon,

Those 950's your friend mentioned, need to be liberated, it really hurts to see perfectly useful machines thrown out like that.

You're right, we must hook up at an AUSOM meeting. The more recent swappies have improved somewhat over the earlier ones, the most recent one seemed a bit quiet though, don't know why. I may or may not be able to attend the December meeting, it's too early to tell, transport issues, you see.

Here's a thing, I'm wondering if it would be worth me approaching CoM to set up a 68K Mac SIG, it's been a while since I was a SIG Leader, but I think I remember how it all works, I just hope people'd show up.

AusNick

Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  07:33:17
quote:

G'day

Can I come & live in Australia?

Anyhow I think I will be going to Canada, to take advantage of the good land prices, let me know if Australian bargains come along though?

Anyhow well done on the swap meet(s)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"

G'day shaktiman,

Lob in if you want, you'd be welcome.

BTW, nice set of specs on the Q840, three monitors, cool.

AusNick

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.