Balloon Help
 Problem with Radius video card
Author Topic  
clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2002 :  15:48:06
I recently bought a Radius Precision Color Pro 24x nubus video card, and have yet to get it to work. I am trying to get it running in a Quadra 950 with MacOS 8.0

I downloaded and installed drivers from http://www.knight-tech.net/drivers/ , but still don't see the Radius screen in the Monitors & Sound control panel.

I have tried taking out any other expansion cards installed and only loading the necessary extensions, but with no results.

When a monitor is attached to it, a grey screen is shown, along with a greyscale Radius logo in the bottom left hand corner.

There is also a jumper on the card (JP1) with 3 pins, with the jumper set to pins 1-2. I have tried 2-3 setting, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

The driver package at the site above didn't have any extensions for this card, and when I run the installer it only installs the Dynamic Desktop and PowerSaver control panels.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

clancychem
(mac newbie)
68k macs liberated: 1

68k Macs Liberated: 1

Edited by - clancychem on 12 Feb 2002 15:52:48

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2002 :  16:39:14
These are a finnicky family of cards, the Radius Precision 24's. I have a 24Xk, of which there is little difference other than that the "k" model is a bit faster (about as fast as the SuperMac Thunder 24 series). It seems to work best under 8.x if all you put in the extentions folder is QuickColor 3.3, and just trash the rest of the components of the installer (I also don't think the installer you used was the right one, so try this instead). Bear in mind, there will be no reference to Radius in the monitors & sound panel, however, you will be able to select resolution and color depth just fine.

I can't vouch for the X, but the Xk does produce very nice video, and even fast for a Nubus card. Much faster than the SuperMac Spectrum 24 family, if that tells you anything!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 12 Feb 2002 16:41:19Go to Top of Page

clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  22:05:41
I installed either of the drivers (QuickColor 3.2.5 or 3.3) and get the same error message: "The control panel "QuickColor" cannot be used with this computer." Also, when the computer starts an X is over the QuickColor icon.

The card isn't listed as a card installed when I check the list in the Dynamic Desktop control panel.

The ROM is version 1.5, and has a sticker on it: PC Pro 24X.

Is there any type of diagnostic software for video cards, or any nubus card?

Thanks in advance.

clancychem

68k Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  09:10:38
Okay, I'm going to check the card I have in my Quadra and what kind of extentions I have running it later today, then see what else we can try...

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  09:18:22
quote:

I installed either of the drivers (QuickColor 3.2.5 or 3.3) and get the same error message: "The control panel "QuickColor" cannot be used with this computer." Also, when the computer starts an X is over the QuickColor icon.

The card isn't listed as a card installed when I check the list in the Dynamic Desktop control panel.

The ROM is version 1.5, and has a sticker on it: PC Pro 24X.

Is there any type of diagnostic software for video cards, or any nubus card?

tried "clean install for any macintosh"? that's what rocket liked.
tried musical slots game?
date code on ROM?
don't know of any.
jtx

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  07:45:19
I've spent many hours searching for Radius drivers!
This file has some control panels, extensions and stuff for the Radius Pivot Monitor.
Sorry, these particular drivers are probably no use to you clancychem Hopefully someone else will find them useful??

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  12:59:22
I finally got time to work on it, and the Radius card started working by doing a clean install, after copying the previous system folder to another partition. Thanks for the help.

Now that its working I have another question. While in 8.1, the monitor settings for this card won't go above 640 by 480. If I am in 7.5 I can go all the way up to 1152 by 870. Also, if I switch it to whatever monitor setting to whatever I wanted in 7.5, and rebooted to 8.1, then the monitor stays at that resolution until I shut down completely. Thanks again for the help.

Sean
68k Macs Rescued: 2

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  14:01:59
quote:

Now that its working I have another question. While in 8.1, the monitor settings for this card won't go above 640 by 480. If I am in 7.5 I can go all the way up to 1152 by 870. Also, if I switch it to whatever monitor setting to whatever I wanted in 7.5, and rebooted to 8.1, then the monitor stays at that resolution until I shut down completely.

i can't make heads or tails out of what you are describing. do you have two different disks or two partitions on one disk or both system folders on the same partition on one disk? in the first two cases i would check for os compatability of the ROM on the radius card. in the third I'd change to config 1 or 2 cuz 3'd be lucky to boot at all.

jt

Go to Top of Page

clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  14:54:46
Sorry I wasn't very clear.

The System Folders on on different partitions on the same hard drive.

I wanted to know if there is a way to keep the monitor settings at 1024 by 768 in MacOS 8.1, wihtout having to boot into OS 7.5 to adjust it?

Also, how can I find the OS compatibility info for ROM Version 1.5?

Thanks.

Sean

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  15:08:05
quote:

I wanted to know if there is a way to keep the monitor settings at 1024 by 768 in MacOS 8.1, wihtout having to boot into OS 7.5 to adjust it?

if you're not worried about ever changing the resolution i'd get the proper griffin adapter to tell the card what i wanted from it via the sense pins whenever it booted and forget the control panels (it might even work).

the driver museum and places like that would be a good start, but googling for newsgroup q&a mentions will probably be your best bet since Radius' vintage info seems to be awol.

i'll see if i can find some of the different downloads and faxbacks i've collected over the years if the sense pin angle doesn't work out for you, but give that a shot first, video adapters are worth their weight in gold when you need an assortment them for troubleshooting. if you can't afford them new, it's not all that hard to fab your own and the learning experience is well worth the effort in its own right.

jt

Go to Top of Page

clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  20:18:00
I set my Mac Video to VGA adapter on the Radius card to the appropriate setting for 1024 by 768 and it worked. I know I should have tried this a while ago. Thanks a lot for the help.

Sean

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  23:15:22
quote:

I know its not exactly the same card (or the same ROM revisions) but perhaps the info is relevant anyway... This info from LowEnd Mac

"The Radius PrecisionColor Pro 24AC is a 7" NuBus card compatible with both 68K- and PPC-based Macs. With ROM version 1.0, the card is only compatible with Mac OS versions from 7.1 up to (and including) 7.5.2; with ROM version 1.1 the card is compatible with Mac OS versions from 7.1 up to 8.6. Mac OS 9 compatibility for this card has not been verified; "

I've also got the 24XK in my Quadra800. This card has ROM 2.0 and works fine under 8.1 with both QuickColor 3.2.5 and 3.3

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  23:49:20
quote:

"The Radius PrecisionColor Pro 24AC is a 7" NuBus card compatible with both 68K- and PPC-based Macs. With ROM version 1.0, the card is only compatible with Mac OS versions from 7.1 up to (and including) 7.5.2; with ROM version 1.1 the card is compatible with Mac OS versions from 7.1 up to 8.6. Mac OS 9 compatibility for this card has not been verified; "

that's the card that came in my first IIfx. mine is 6.5" long, a cool maroon colored card. the ROM says Radius 24AC 1.1 V 1.1 0073-02-A. the board says Accelerated 24 bit Graphics I/F (c) Radius Inc. 1993, but it's got a sticker on the back that says Macintosh Display Card 24AC MR449DQ84ASB (MAYBE). which markings does yours have, radius made a card for apple that was a little less capable supplsedly, they didn't list the resolutions for the radius card on LEM and the info in the apple 24ac article about it contradicts the matrix info on gamba. i can't figure out which one i have so far (for sure anyway). it does portrait res. so maybe mine's the apple board.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 23:51:51Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.