68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 iMac and pc with CD Burner, how do I burn mac cds?
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  19:45:58
I have an iMac hooked up to a PC through USB. The PC has a 32x burner and Nero 6. How can I burn a cd without losing my mac resource forks? The pc is formatted fat32. I want to archive my files onto cds. What I've been doing is stuffing the files on the mac and then hqx'ing them then transferring them to the pc. But if I wanted to get at file I'll have to decode the hqx and then access the .sit file.

Is there any kind of format that will compress a whole folder and solve the mac fork problem?

OR

What CD burning software recognizes Toast images? (I have nero 6(PC) and Roxio Toast 5 (MAC))

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC II, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!

Edited by - mac-man6 on 02 Nov 2003 16:32:29

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  19:50:56
I believe that you can rename the toast images as ISO and burn them on the PC with any program that deals with *.iso (pretty much all of them).

a ntfs format on the PC (windows nt/2k format) doesnt screw up the resource fork. Anything compressed to *.sit should be fine also on fat32.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  19:57:22
yeah, either stuff all your stuff (and fit more!) or get toast and make ISOs on the mac, transfer them over and burn those images....

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  00:07:18
NTFS will corrupt files unless it's setup properly. (Standard NTFS isn't enough as I have tried using this and it corrupts files, so I would believe AppleShare support and other support files are needed.) I have read through Microsoft's protocall information and I don't see any first hand indications of the system's ability to preserve resource forks when dealing with Non Standard Clients, although Server Editions of Windows 2000 that have AppleTalk may have the correct NTFS file system to solve this. Linux ext2/ext3 however have the ability to preserve resource forks.

Using Nero Burning ROM, you can burn Standard HFS CD-ROMS. Create a toast file in Mac OS and then transfer this image with no changes. Don't rename to ISo. Then in Nero, select that you are going to burn an Image file. Open up the Toast file. A Dialogue will pop up regarding burning options. In the pop-up menu select "HFS". Burn.

(Other burning software will most likely produce coasters if you try to burn a HFS Toast image as an ISO if the software does not support HFS. I've made quiete a few Coasters this way. Nero is the only one that for sure supports it with no errors.)

Edited by - The Balance Of Judgement on 02 Nov 2003 00:09:36Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  14:56:32
toast and ISO are identicle. no problems there...

THn,xcggg
"I WANT TO FRUNKING SOCEALIZE FOR A BIT!!@!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  16:30:52
Thanks, I got it working. This saves a whole lot of trouble with stuffit. It took like 2 hours to stuff 250mb of files, then like 3 minutes to encode. It's funny that Nero doesn't recognize the file without the .iso ending. With the .iso everything works great, I've already burned my second CD. Who says PC's are useful?*

*When working subservient to a mac under a desk...

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC II, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.