68k Conquests
 unknown nubus card -- what is it?
Author Topic  
jme
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  20:59:36
Greetings,

I pulled a nubus card out of a duo dock the other day. I don't know what the card does and was wondering if anyone could help me figure it out?

It's a full-size (12 1/2") card. It consists of two boards -- a main board and a piggy-backed board.

The main board says Northern Telecom on it. It also says 1992. The main board has a bar code sticker on it with the characters NT5P41AR/02. It also has a bar code sticker on it with P/N 03004000/04. On the back of the main board there is P/N 0700-1323 etched on the board. The main board has 3 connectors at one end for connection to the outside world. There is an 8 pin din connector (one into which a printer cable fits). Beside it is a 26 pin female D - connector : 3 rows 9 + 9 + 8. And beside that is a 4 pin din connector ( one into which an adb cable fits.) The main board also sports a 68EC030 processor on it (among other chips).

The piggy-backed board overlaps about 80% of the area of the main board. It has a bar code sticker on it with the characters NT5P41AV/02.

I tried looking at the nubus mafia boards but did not find it there.

Anyone know what this is for and know how to get it going?

TIA

stephen kenda

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  21:59:13
Download and run TattleTech, the "Slot Mgr (Nubus/PDS)" report should tell you what the card is from the info on the DeclROM on the card.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

edit: here's a sample of the kind info you can get using TattleTech:

• Nubus/PDS Slot# = $0C
× Pseudo Nubus Slot# = 1
× Board Name = MacCon Ethernet
× Board ID = 8
× Vendor ID = Asante Technologies, Inc.
× Revision Level = Alpha-1.0
× Part# = MacCon Ethernet
× Functional Resources :
+ Device sResource Name = Network Ethernet_Asante
- Device Category = 4 (Network)
- Device Type = 1 (EtherTalk)
- Device Software Interface Type = 260
- Device Hardware Type = 256
- Device sResource# = $80
- Driver Number = -60
+ Device sResource Name = Test Asante Ethernet ROM
- Device Category = 2
- Device Type = 1
- Device Software Interface Type = 0
- Device Hardware Type = 0
- Device sResource# = $81
- Driver Number = [NA]

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 31 Oct 2003 22:07:28Go to Top of Page

jme
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  12:50:21
Thank you very much for the prompt and excellent advice to use tattletech.

below is what tattletech produced about the board.

I am still at a loss for ideas now on what to do next in order to breathe some life into this card. I would appreciate some more good ideas on how to proceed.

Thanks,

stephen kenda

• Nubus/PDS Slot# = $0D
× Pseudo Nubus Slot# = 2
× Board Name = Apollo
× Board ID = 1017
× Vendor ID = Workstation_Technologies_Inc
× Revision Level = B
× Part# = 0300-1320
× Functional Resources :
+ Device sResource Name = Scanner_ImageDigitizer_WorkstationTechnologies_Apollo
- Device Category = 8 (Scanner)
- Device Type = 1 (Image Digitizer)
- Device Software Interface Type = 278
- Device Hardware Type = 257
- Device sResource# = $80
- Driver Number = [NA]

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  13:31:38
De nada, comrade, welcome to the MLA!

Google the crap out of it, I found this . . .

http://www.blackfrog.com/projects.html

. . . Googling stuff like this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22Workstation+Technologies%22+Apollo

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Scanner+%22Workstation+Technologies%22+

The cached page from the laste of the hits on on of those searches is interesting.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Nov 2003 13:38:30Go to Top of Page

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  21:12:45
Hey that Blackfrog site is an interesting, one; it says last updated in 2001, but it mentions OS X 10.2.1 and G4s on another page on the site. This fellow wrote MacTools Optimizer and a version of XTree for the Mac! But they're not available to download.
Looks like that card is for videoconferencing, but the D-26 connector sounds like it would plug in to a breakout box of some kind, and finding that will be a challenge to say the least.
Sadly people tend to throw that kind of priceless stuff away. It is our job to put a stop to this.
Did anyone check http://www.macdrivermuseum.com/ ?

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Retained collection includes SE, Classic, ClassicII, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, LC475, Quadra840AV,950(w/PPC card) PB145,520,190 & many contraband Powermacs. Last one liberated:LC580.Go to Top of Page

itsno
Starting Member

France
10 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  01:36:50
is that card for old hand scanners ?

Go to Top of Page

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  04:23:19
isn't it annoying that the part number from TattleTech and the part number silkscreened on the board don't even match. <sarcasm> Thanks guys at Northern Telecom in 1992, makes our life easier </sarcasm>

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Retained collection includes SE, Classic, ClassicII, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, LC475, Quadra840AV,950(w/PPC card) PB145,520,190 & many contraband Powermacs. Last one liberated:LC580.Go to Top of Page

jme
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  15:00:50
Thank you very much for all the suggested sites. The "blackfrog" site led to an e-mail which I have excerpted below:

"You've found an old VISIT Video card, which Workstation Technologies, Inc. developed and manufactured for Nortel in the early 90's... Nortel integrated it with their PBX- and phone-control software called VISIT Voice.

The two smaller connectors are for color and b&w cameras, and the large female connector is for communications. (You) could connect to a Switch-56 line via an external adaptor, or to a single ISDN line via a
second adaptor, or experimentally to a modem (although that never
shipped).

... signaling and codecs were proprietary. When the H.320 conferencing
standard came along, we adopted it (the generation after your card),
but having an open standard meant that Nortel could shop from any
vendor, and were no longer tied to our platform. We could not compete,
and closed the doors in 1996.

Without software, there's not much you can do with it."

I guess i've got some software to search for. A quick google of "visit video" +nortel got me a dead link at www.nortel.com/visit

stephen

Go to Top of Page

Joe
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  19:41:33
There's a Nortel visit voice for sale on ebay now. Don't know if it includes software, but bidding starts at a buck.

Go to Top of Page

jme
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  12:59:24
Thanks for the heads up on the call manager software. I do not have a pbx set-up with those fancy meridian digital business phones here so i do not know if i could do much with that aspect of the card.

However i have decided to still keep my options open for trying to use the video capture ports on the card -- Which begs the question what software do i need to capture video from those ports?

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.