Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  06:38:14
This is a public service announcement.
"Rant Ahead"

For the first time in forever, I actually feel as though I have something against, AOL, other than being "not the real internet"

This thing is their latest commercial Featuring "self computer check" it shows a bunch of monkey-faced 1960's geeks (seen as recently as 1978) playing with old computers. Then having a science project. Then one of them goes into like, his sister's room or something "need any help" with a smile on his face... and they're all like... "no thanks" and he walks away sadly....

First of all, this is wrong in at least two ways.

1) We, as the modern generation of computer geeks are not monkey-faced like this.
2) Nearly all of us c an probably get a girlfriend, based on something other than our talent with the machines.
3) They made that "computer geek" look more like a (for lack of better words, feel free to ask me to change this though) horn-dog, than a computer geek willing to help you with your computer.
4) and they think that that commercial is a decent "apology" to us geeks for taking away our helping abilities (or the need for us)

Personally, I am under the impression that we now need a new commercial, or something else, as a formal apollogy for the blatant misrepresentation of the current, known status of most computer geeks/nerds....

</rant>

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  18:35:28
Eek. I hate ads like that.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  21:55:38
Only an idiot uses aol these days. Even if your stuck on dialup there are other service providers that cost 1/2 the money available. I think AOL and apple have the lamest comercials anymore that apeal to a small minority of computer users.

Having a computer geeks show up and sent packing because the aol user doesnt need the help pretty much shows aol is limiting its base to complete computer illiterates who never upgrade their machines or know that AOL isnt the internet, just a provider of slow and expensive internet access.

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  22:28:36
Not to mention they kick you off every half-hour.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  21:31:06
I saw the AOL commercial with the nude lady in the water, when the pop ups keep covering her "private" parts. Then it talked about eliminating pop ups so you can see what you were trying too. I almost spit my pop all over the table I was laughing so hard. I thought the commercial was great.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.

Edited by - Christophillis on 01 Nov 2003 21:42:45Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  21:36:32
In Seattle, there is an ISP called "noCharge" and it is exactly that...

you dial the number and enter in like, guest/guest and you're on the internet, over dialup, for free.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.