All Forums
 Lounge
 Powerbook G4 400mhz or G3 500mhz Pismo?
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  03:35:27
Soon I will be buying a brand new eMac to replace my dying PC that I built a few months ago, with it an iPod. I am planning on going to college in the Czech Republic for the summer and want something I can take with me, but the eMac is too large for my back pack. Does anyone have an opinion on the Powerbook G4 400mhz? I have heard it scratches easily and the screen latches can give some mouth at you. Which would be better? The laptop would be my second computer and doesn't need to blazing fast with the best graphics, just run Panther well. I had a friend who had the Pismo (Graphite Goodness, remember him 68kmla vets?) and I really loved it, just the keys got way too greasy too fast. I would think the Pismo is more upgradable in the future but yea I haven't been in the mac swing for a little bit of time so I don't want to forget any goods/bads of both.

What do you guys think?

Jeremy

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:26

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  03:56:09
You can upgrade the pismo to G4 so it will be faster then a tibook of 100mhz less.

.Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  05:10:06
Hehe, I thought you and GG didn't get along so well?

What are you planning on doing with the book Ti? My iBook 500 flies now with panther in all daily tasks, including iTunes, mail, AIM, web browsing, etc. However when I switch to doing web site work with dreamweaver, photoshop or illustrator, It suddenly isn't so speeding fast. I know a G4 would help both the adobe products, and possible dreamweaver as well, so if you need the altivec, go for it. If you just need speed, get the Pismo.

Also, Have fun in the Czech Republic.Look up Frantisek Janak if you have the chance, he taught me a glass cutting class this past summer

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  05:39:09
Personally, I would suggest the 400MHz TiBook. I'm not sure if Pismos have airport slots, but I know that TiBooks do. Also, the TiBook will give you a wee bit more screen space (*mine's 1280 by 854, but a 400MHz would be closer to 1152 by 768, the same height as another 'books screen, but a lot wider. That lets you do some pretty unique stuff...)

And, the TiBook is probably thinner and as thus, will fit better in a backpack. I'm not sure how it'd compare as far as durability might go though.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  19:24:54
I would go pismo. The tibook isnt that much smaller then the pismo. My dad has a pismo 400 and I like it alot. I think it does have an airport slot, but im too lazy to go check.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  20:44:56
pismo. cheaper, more expandible (huttah for 2 batteries!) scratches give it charicter (mine has lots of them, just sais it's been well loved) yes it does have AirPort, and firewire, and 2 SO-DIMM slots, and you can upgrade it to 900MHz G3 if you wish, and possobly 1.1GHz G3 at some point. I love mine, but if you DO get one, just remember to NEVER RUN IT ON THE BATTERY UNDER 10.2!! EVER. mine got crapped, it got to about 2 minutes runtime... it was hella dumb, but I've gotten it back upto 20 mins, and I'll try to get it to it's origonal 3 hours.... alas... GODDAMN 10.2!

long story short, get a pismo, you won't be sorry.

THnzlkgfgf
"ahhh... culture!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  22:00:06
If you're having problems with your Pismo battery, you need to find someone with a Lombard and then download Battery Reset 2.0 software from Apple. People with the same battery issue in 10.2 have fixed this problem with this solution. The key is reconditioning the batteries in a Lombard. Hope this works for you

Tough question re the Pismo and TiBook 400. That first gen TiBook was basically using a Pismo board. However, Firewire was way slower (can't remember the details) on the TiBook. The Pismo can use dual batteries (!), has built-in USB & Firewire & Airport (better range, too). You can also upgrade the DVD drive to an internal burner. The TiBook CPU is not upgradeable which gives you a few more options with the Pismo. Things to watch on the Pismo: pink LCD screen defect and keyboard marks in/on the screen. The TiBook had issues with flaking paint, CD/DVD's that jammed in the slot, hinges, etc.

Personally, my vote is for the Pismo

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  02:44:43
I agree but there is one thing that bothers me about the Pismo, the upside down Apple as the display is open. I was once told that you could take a Lombard 14' and exchange them and it would be the right side up, is this true? Was there a TiBook that was made where peeling paint was not an issue?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:28Go to Top of Page

Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  03:06:19
quote:

If you're having problems with your Pismo battery, you need to find someone with a Lombard and then download Battery Reset 2.0 software from Apple. People with the same battery issue in 10.2 have fixed this problem with this solution. The key is reconditioning the batteries in a Lombard. Hope this works for you

Lorks! I purchased a new battery because I thought the old one was kaput! I tried downloading the Battery Reset proggie but it wouldn't work on Pismo. You're saying I shove my old battery in my colleague's Lombard (how fortuitous that he should have a Lombard!), and run the proggie on his machine? Way cool. I didn't actually throw the old battery away..I'll dig it out and give it a go!

Any thoughts on whether or not the battery works better with 10.3?

Alcina
=8-)

======================================
Plus, SE, SE/FDHD, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, LC475, Quadra 660AV, Powerbook 520, 6100, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet, Beige G3, Bondi Blue iMac, PismoGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  06:39:03
quote:

I agree but there is one thing that bothers me about the Pismo, the upside down Apple as the display is open. I was once told that you could take a Lombard 14' and exchange them and it would be the right side up, is this true? Was there a TiBook that was made where peeling paint was not an issue?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:28

IIRC, the last time i saw a Lombard, the Apple logo was in the same orientation as it is on the Pismo. But yeah, definately go Pismo. The Ti is cooler, for sure, but the Pismo is more upgradable, by far. Sure, the TiBook has a G4 and stuff, but you can upgrade a Pismo to a G4, and still have stuff that the TiBooks can only dream about, like expansion bays, upgradable CPUs, and a more durable case.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  10:25:25
My only gripe really about either, would be in relation to form factor.

Pismo: The screen, at 1024 by 768 (as said before) has less room than that of the TiBook
TiBook: Obviously these, in the past, have had flaking paint issues. (tibooks newer than 400MHz (look for a '667 with DVI port maybe?))

Can you even see scratches on a pismo? (and I would think that having scratches might mean that you handled it carelessly, or let it fall or something )

It's your decision, you decide if you want a curvaceous body with a rubber grip, and strong plastic casing, or a slim (arguably sexy) body that is thin, less expandable, but has a fantastic widescreen format for viewing.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  11:08:49
pismo. FoSure.

curvy sexy pismoey goodness

more expandability

more hackibility

NO paint flakiness

dual battery capible, with a media bay for interchangable drives (w00t!!!)

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  15:05:07
this pink screen defect you speak of.... methink it fades away as the screen warms up (giving that vaccume-tube-esque feel to your pismo) one more advantage! hoo haa! anyhoo... thnx for the exxelent battery advice.

THnsjcng
"GREAT GHOST OF DOOKIE!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  10:20:38
And now, all you need is a lombard!

I don't much mind not having dual batteries, because I don't travel too much with the 'book. Then, there's also the fact/thought that TIBooks newer than the '667 with DVI output don't have that much of flakey paint.

Having dual batteries would probably be ubergood if you needed to use your laptop, and keep it running for a very long time (and you had several batteries that are good, and several chargers. (it'd be pertty interesting to see a pismo running full-time, primarily on batteries...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.