Balloon Help
 Ok now I'm confused.
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  19:01:50
I am looking to part with my Duo's.. *sigh* I know.. I know... but I need the money. Anyways here is my problem. I went to go make sure Gambit (the 270c) starts up good and everything, and it would start up, then reset when it got to the " Welcome to Mac OS" splash. It would then reset at the same point and shut off. I was astounded. Because the last time I used this it worked fine. So I take it and disconnect the battery and it boots fine. Then while in the OS I put in the battery, the icon in the menu bar changes to a "charging" one, and then the computer shuts off. I am astounded. Do anyof you guys know what is going wrong with this little guy? ANY help would be appreciated.

Oh and to save space in forums, if you interested in the following just email, or IM me. Make me an offer.

-Duo 270c 32mgs of ram 500mg hd, OS 7.6 no dead pixals , and a type 3 battery that holds a 2.5 hour charge
-Duo 280 *busted* it needs case screws and a hard drive. I am unsure of the specs but perhaps I can get them. It has a type 2 battery that I cant get to work either.
-Duo Dock II with a hard drive that is (iThink) a 320mg or a 200mg
-Ethernet Micro Dock this guy is rare and is sweet. enough said
-Floppy Micro Dock no floppy drive though
-An apple power adapter with the little 3 prong thing that plugs into the brick.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  17:55:41
Ok here's a little update. I have let the 270c charge for a day or so now. So I take it out to see if it works. Well, I decided to take out the battery to try and boot it. It booted fine. Now I insert the battery and it doesnt crash! But now it is being finicky about charging it. I have to push the battery in, in a special way in order for it to be charging. Anyone know what might be going on?

--------------------
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  18:11:15
I remember some Duos being picky..ie; holding the laptop a certian way would disconeect the battery. Odd.

Go to Top of Page

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  15:06:47
The Duos have several brass tab-style contacts inside the battery well that contact the battery. They had a very well-known problem with getting out of alignment, Apple even sold a plastic "battery pin alignment tool" to use to poke around in there to straighten them out. I'd recommend you look in there with a flashlight and use a non-metallic tool, -something like a chopstick maybe?- to angle the pins so they'll make stronger contact with the battery contacts. Don't overdo it, just a little at a time then re-try it.

SE, Classic II, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, IIx, IIfx, LCIII => Q605 (the mega-upgrade)
PB190cs, Duo2300c
PM6100, PM8100, PM8500, Beige G3, 17" G4 iMacGo to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2003 :  18:20:54
Ok thanks. Though there is recent ware marks on the batteries contacts, I will poke around in there. Hopefully I can get it workin ok.

--------------------
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.