Lounge
 my life SUCKS ASS!!!!
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  20:51:52
You lot should have seen this thread comming

I got to a school that in theory is a good public school, but the only reason I go there is because it so close to where I live (5 houses down from where I am). Pretty mucheverone there are assholes who the second I give an indication that I like anything (mac for example), I get a torrent of comments the the thing is 'gay'. I understand work well in classes, but the second I do a test 8 out of 10 times I freeze up and do poorly.

The schools 'leaders' are a bunch of slack-jayed yocals that are voted in by the student body with limited control from the teachers.

I play in the schools concert band as First Clarinet, but the first chair clarinet is an anoying b**** who sucks up to everyone, teachers included an drivles on about absolutely useless topics to them. She makes claims that being a check-out chick is more mathematically complicated that Maths C yet she is barly passing Maths A. She is so annoying I am buying an Alto-Clarinet off ebay right now so I can get away from her in band (and the fact that Alto-Clarinets kick ass .

Um, I have nothing left to whine about...thanks for listening, I feel better

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  21:27:17
That pretty much described my high school life. There is one lesson that I learned that I wish I had learned sooner. Someone starts giving you shit just tell them to f*** off. It's amazing how much better it makes you feel.

--Eric

Edited by - redrouteone on 27 Oct 2003 21:28:02Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  21:35:14
This was exactly how my previous school was like, the best decision I have ever made, was to leave it, this time i know how to keep a low profile (honestly the best thing you can do) and I know who to choose as friends. For example this guy just decided to try to pick on me and after telling him to f*ck off 2 times i told him a piece of my mind, which happened to be: "You are in a school of over 1200 kids you are one year older then me yet in the same class as me, do you honestly think i could give a f*ck who you are or what happens?" All he could do after was call me gay, it was hilarious.

.Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  21:36:40
Good Advice

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  21:51:36
Yep. Sounds like my old piece of shit school. Get out of there while you can, before it gets any worse.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  22:40:31
Key: -->
quote:
to keep a low profile (honestly the best thing you can do)

[though, if everyone is used to seeing you around, you can start to be more noteworthy…]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  22:57:57
Me try to keep low profile......but more people know who i am than I know them

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  04:24:11
Get used to dealing with idiots and ass kissers because life is full of them everywhere you go.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  10:51:25
DO NOT think that you are alone, what with annoying band geeks, people who think they're smart, those what are clogging up the schools and stuff...

because every school everywhere has them... If we elminated them, all of us who are really dedicated to the school-and-the-glayven, would fit in just one small high school facility.

They think they are very very smart, and the truth is they are capapable of becoming that way, but they haven't advanced to that level yet (just being in average or below-average classes wont' make you that way, if you know your own skill...)

Remember, that school is in place so you can learn, if they didn't want you to learn, you wouldn't go to school, you'd be working on a farm or something. (ooOOoo... "the farm" sounds creepy huh?)

(I have no idea where I was trying to take that... posting during class is confusing )

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  12:57:13
School from kindergarten all the way to post graduate school was invented to teach you the tools to solve a given problem, to respect authority, and to learn to work with other people (some of whichj you cant stand). I have seen honor students in highschool totaly get run over and drop out of college. I have seen the class stoner clean up and get ahead in life. My neighbor across the street who was a few years older then me went from a pot smoking band wanabe to a corperate executive that travels the world giving motivational talks to people in his company making $100K+ a year and has a nice wife and kid. People in highschool havnt fully developed into what they will be in life. I am not the same person I was in highschool, I have much more knowledge and 100x more confidence. All I can say is that people who give you shit or act like snobs in HS are not worth your time to fight with. Just ignore them and go about your buisiness because nothing they say or do has any lasting affect on your life.

Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  17:56:16
damn unknown, thats well said. yes, there is much more to life. just make it what you can when you can. new people are just around the corner. . .college can change everything. yeah, people can still be huge pricks, but there are different ways of dealing with them.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  19:00:09
I'd bet these stupid kids don't even realize how old this crap is. I had this same EXACT crap when I was a HS freshman back in 95, and it was probably going on for years before that. This was pioneered in the US and now it's apparently being exported to other countries. It was a fairly small school too which made it even worse because you kept running into the same jerks and couldn't get away from them.

Let me give you a headstart. The basic hierarchy is this: there are the jocks (people who play the more macho ports) who are on top and prettymuch untouchable. The faculty sympathizes with them because of this and it's pretty hard to pin anything short of criminal on them. The main thing they do that you will notice is complain about everything everybody does who's not like them and/or calls them gay. That guy that was saying that everything was gay probably fits into this group. Some of them use drugs, but mostly only to increase athletic performance (steroids, speed, maybe cocaine if they can afford it) and if they do use recreational ones (LSD, marajuna, etc.) then it's only a little otherwise they will become stoners (I've seen this happen, believe it or not)

The next largest group is the stoners. They have zero power and are always getting themselves in trouble (usually because of drugs). You can't really blame them because they dress like deadbeats and usually play the part. Then only thing is that they are, for the most part, more accepting than the rest. You can actually carry on a meaningfun conversation with them as long as they're not stoned or burned out or the subject matter isn't too deep.

Then come the preps. These are the ones who try to play good. They always want to be popular. If they play sports, it's the less mahco kind usually. These are you cheer leaders too. You can tell a prep because their clothes are neat and they always try to be in fashion. They try to do the best they can in school. They're clean cut and seem like nice people, which some of them are, but you need to be careful with this group too. Some of them can tend to be "air-heads" and can be quite selfish. Some of them like your first-chair clarinet are always trying to brown nose the teacher. It sounds like you have a reputation already, so they probably won't want to be seen talking with you. Especially the girls, so don't try to force the issue.

The group you really want to find is the "nerds". I know you probably don't want to do that. I didn't either, at first, but this is where you are going to find what you're looking for. It's going to be a small group that can be hard to find, but they will hang out together probably in the morning before class somewhere. They won't all accept you at first either, but ultimately they will appreciate you for who you are and not notice that you're "new" to the group after a while. I know you will fit in with this group because that is the kind of people who frequent this forum. They are further along than most of the rest mentally. Everyone else just needs some time to catch up. Some of them never will.

Then there's everyone else. These are the ones that you can't really put into a category. Some will hang around in small groups at lunch or before school. A lot of time they have been friends since before high school. The other thing to remember is that everybody is different and you will see wide variations in any of the groups.

As others have said already, keeping a low profile works pretty good. You don't want to isolate yourself, though, either. Another thing is you need to stay confident, or put on an air of confidence, just don't overdo it.

Motorheads are another small group and it's more of a classificaion because they usually can't stand each other. These are like jocks or worse and you prettymuch want to avoid them. I had one of these who was convnced there was something wrong with me all through high school and was always looking for a good time to make a point of it in order to convice other people of this "fact".

Watch out for anyone that's on the booz. Especially if they talk about it a lot. Stay as far away as you possibly can.

A saying that works pretty good is "funny guy". If someone is being an a$$ and trying to be funny at your expense just work it into a sentence. Don't forget to use variations like "guy thinks he's a comedian" or something. Say it like it means nothing. That's when it works the best.

In gym class, if they make you take this, always pick the least macho sport possible, as long as it's not aerobics or something, because only girls take that (I'm assuming you're a guy). Otherwise, if you pick something really macho, of couarse that's what all the jocks will pick and you'll make a fool of yourself and the jocks would be glad to help you out. Gym teachers are some of the worst for not interveneing during classmate humiliation.

If you can't put up with it (it's not easy for anyone) be sure to get on some kind of antidepressant. If you don't do any of the other stuff or if the other stuff doesn't work, and you feel trapped, consider this as an option. Especially if you start contemplating suicide or thinking it would be easier if you were dead or something.

Probably the most important thing and if you don't listen to anything else, listen to this, is make sure you tell your parents about ALL this stuff. If something really bad or humiliating happens one day, make sure you force yourself to tell them. If you're like I was, you probably want to push them away at this point and be your own man, but they need to know as it's not always easy to think clearly when there's somebody messing with your head and they'll listen if nobody else will. If they're good parents, anyway.

That concludes this edition of the Community High School (did anyone say community prison?) survival guide.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  22:00:37
quote:

In gym class, if they make you take this, always pick the least macho sport possible, as long as it's not aerobics or something, because only girls take that (I'm assuming you're a guy). Otherwise, if you pick something really macho, of couarse that's what all the jocks will pick and you'll make a fool of yourself and the jocks would be glad to help you out. Gym teachers are some of the worst for not interveneing during classmate humiliation.

I, a guy, was in the Aerobics division of PE during the rear half of 8th grade, and must say that not only do I believe that it improved me as a person, but it was pretty easy and I was NOT the only guy there.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  04:12:04
TLS, you put everything that I learned into one document, however I believe that I don't fit into any of those groups, strangely, there doesn't seem to be anyone like me in my school, low profile as I said before is the best to keep and talk only to people that seem to be open to talking, however don't be completely quiet or you will gain a rep as a loner. I have 2-3 years of HS left, we will see...

.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  06:00:20
Wherever you go to school, you either pay attention to NOTHING, or you have egotistical freaks running the show.

I'm not going to get into this, because it would involve telling you off for your obvious inability to learn other things than about 'authority' and it would also require me to cite something from the current unit in Sci-Fi "Utiopia/Dystopia". Then, I would be required to state how I've been able to learn from the good teachers and school district staff in Maple Valley, WA, and here in Kingman AZ.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  08:58:43
quote:

Wherever you go to school, you either pay attention to NOTHING, or you have egotistical freaks running the show.

That is not true at all cory, dictionry.com states that an egotistical person is "A conceited, boastful person.
A selfish, self-centered person." and this is not true in all cases, it all depends on who is the most assertive.
quote:
I'm not going to get into this, because it would involve telling you off for your obvious inability to learn other things than about 'authority' and it would also require me to cite something from the current unit in Sci-Fi "Utiopia/Dystopia". Then, I would be required to state how I've been able to learn from the good teachers and school district staff in Maple Valley, WA, and here in Kingman AZ.

.Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  04:15:14
I'm going to come back to this when I have more time. I really disagree with a lot that has been said here, mainly the preconceptions of groups. You're going to find good people and idiots in all of them because it's all dictated by each individuals choices. I had friends and respect from all of them throughout my entire school life. If you segregate yourself using these notions as your pretense, then you're only doing the same as you accuse the other groups of doing. I'll explain more later, but I have to head out to work.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  10:37:14
quote:

I'm going to come back to this when I have more time. I really disagree with a lot that has been said here, mainly the preconceptions of groups. You're going to find good people and idiots in all of them because it's all dictated by each individuals choices. I had friends and respect from all of them throughout my entire school life. If you segregate yourself using these notions as your pretense, then you're only doing the same as you accuse the other groups of doing. I'll explain more later, but I have to head out to work.

THANK YOU!!
I completely agree, the "cliques" are there, but they aren't the only thing that dictates friendships. Personally, I've noticed that you guys only notice the cliques. Do you ever see the masses, of "normal people"

these people are all friends with eachother, and can become friends with everyone. There was moer of those than any certain kind of clique or "type of person" at my school in WA....

Cats, what I was meaning by egotistical freaks, was the way your school is run... the administration who think that the only thing they need to teach you is how to erspect them...

that is what you learn before kindgergarten, and you need some help socially, mentally and maybe even otherwise, if your school needs to teach that to you. Respect for your peers, your elders, and those who are younger than you, is key for success, and for "yeah"

Respect though, is not the same as sucking up to, and what you apparently think the school is teaching you. I don't know what to say, other than Canada's schools sound *EXTREMELY borked out*

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  11:06:03
hell, I took gymnastics, and I was by no means the only guy there, though everyone said "you take GYMNASTICS?? HOW FARDLING QUEER"

most of the guys there were improving their breakdancing skills. I was there because I didnt want to run around the track every morning.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  16:19:22
In my high school there are all of the cliques you metioned and more. The band geeks are divided into 3 groups.
1) The popluar ones- This group is about a 7-9 out of 10 on a popularity chart. They hang with some of the jocks, and preps and can pretty much merge with any group. (I fall under this catagory)

2) Neutral- For these guys band is not thier main social clique. They just do it for credit. They score whatever their more dominant social clique scores. ie. Prep or Jock=10, gross no washing little friends kid=1

3)The True Geeks- These guys are hard core band geeks. They associate with only band geeks and few other people. They fall from 1 to 5.

In my high school there is a group that hangs together that is the 1 version of the band geeks. We are about 8.5 on popularity. There are people in our clique that are not in band and generally everyone knows who we are and we can hang out with all except the most extreme preps/jocks. You could define us as a group that really doesnt care what other people think. "free thinkers" I suppose.

There is also a soccer guy clique, which happens to merge with ours and some of the preps, and some of the nerd kids too. So it is basically overlapping circles.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  18:49:18
Some comments I feel need to be made:

This whole hierarchy thing is a bunch of BS. People are people. I have friends throughout all of these supposed categories. There are also people in all of them who are complete jerks.

About PE: the whole set of stereotypes about jocks is a bunch of BS also. Some of my best friends, who are in Honors and AP classes with me and know just as much as anyone else, would fall under your "jocks" category. People I know play football, play basketball, play soccer, run cross-country, compete in track and field events, and do anything else athletic you can think of. Though I am not a member of any school sports teams, I took two semesters of our school's strength training class and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This semester, one of my best friends, a nerd who's 6 feet tall and weighs 125 pounds, is taking strength training. Already, he has nearly doubled the amount he is able to lift, and he is beginning to feel more confident about himself.

And about the "nerd" group: I HATE SMART PEOPLE! Actually, let me rephrase that: I HATE SMART PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY'RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE AND DON'T HESITATE TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT! There are very many friendly, humble, interesting nerds, but there are also many who have no social lives and spend their lunch hour bragging about how many AP classes they have taken and how many other AP tests they have passed by reading the study guide. This self-serving, pseudo-competitive attitude serves only to keep people from participating in many activities. For example, I'M THE TOKEN WHITE GUY ON MY HIGH SCHOOL'S MATH TEAM! Every time I invite someone to come to a math team practice, their response is, "But they'll think I'm stupid!"

Just my 2 cents.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  23:22:07
Oh the joy of telling the first chair clarinet that I am changing to oboe next year . God bless ebay for a supply of cheap, old, but high quality instruments like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2568753356&category=16227. Isnt it pretty

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  15:51:35
I knew this was coming. Well, I never said that anybody HAD to be this or anybody HAD to be that. You're right about everyone having their own choices and dictating their own behavior. Also, some high schools are better and worse than others. Some are better in other ways and worse in others. That's the way it was in my high school, anyway. You could've asked anybody that went there. Just stay away from Minooka, IL!

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 31 Oct 2003 15:52:08Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.